Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooks Saddles

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by WrensMom
    Hey Mimi, another question--do you have a B67 on your Bianchi, or only on your tandem? There is this part of me that just really wants my Veloce to stay "cool", if you know what I mean But of course comfort is paramount to coolness, in the real world--wish I could have it both ways!
    I have a brown b67 on the tandem and a black b67 on the Bianchi.

how is This not cool??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mimitabbybianchi.jpg 
Views:	615 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	1055  
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I have the same saddle on my Kona that Mimi has, except mine has black springs. Unless you're really looking, the black springs are pretty unnoticable.

My sit bones are nearly 180 mm outside edge to outside edge. If the goal is to get the sitz in the center of the "cheek" of each side of the seat, there is no way I could do that on any of the smaller saddles, I would just be perched on the very edges of the saddle.

Lemme tell ya, it is SO comfy to have the bones supported completely! I can't believe it! And as the hard leather is starting to soften, it just gets better. From what I've gathered, the leather never softens to the point you get the "gel seat syndrome".

My next bike (steel tourer) will also have a Brooks. Probably another B67 or a B72.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    Lemme tell ya, it is SO comfy to have the bones supported completely! I can't believe it! And as the hard leather is starting to soften, it just gets better. From what I've gathered, the leather never softens to the point you get the "gel seat syndrome".

warning! My husband rode his b17 on a 24 hour bike ride. it rained for many hours that day. the seat is no longer shaped like a shovel, it is now shaped like
    a tent. it fits exactly to the crack of his butt!

so, if it's raining and you are on a 24 hour bike ride, you CAN ruin your brooks leather saddle.

but of course, he bought a new one!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

My sit bones are nearly 180 mm outside edge to outside edge. If the goal is to get the sitz in the center of the "cheek" of each side of the seat, there is no way I could do that on any of the smaller saddles, I would just be perched on the very edges of the saddle.
    Hmmm...I measured mine center to center at 159mm. If I went outside edge to outside edge, they would approach what yours are. Maybe this explains part of my problem. I have a feeling that the B67 is in my future, and spring-mockers be damned I wonder if there is any correlation between the wide sit bones and the fact that the pushing stage of labor with my daughter only lasted 15 minutes--it would be comforting to know that the wide bones are good for something, since they are obviously a PITA in regards to finding a bike saddle!

Mimi--Your bike is definitely cool ! Thanks for posting the pic so I can see how mine would look with a B67 on it. So how did you attach your seat wedge bag--to the springs?

Mimi--Your bike is definitely cool ! Thanks for posting the pic so I can see how mine would look with a B67 on it. So how did you attach your seat wedge bag--to the springs?
    wedge bag attachs to seat post and to two little dealys on the back of the saddle. i don't know what they are called. Slots?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Cool. I just got a wedge bag I really like from the Bianchi website to match the bike. It even has a built-in light. My DH thinks it is goofy, but he is a man, what does he know

Cool. I just got a wedge bag I really like from the Bianchi website to match the bike. It even has a built-in light. My DH thinks it is goofy, but he is a man, what does he know
    oh, please show me the link! I can't get one, but i'd like to get it.
    oh nevermind, i found it. You're right it is REALLY nice!!
    Last edited by mimitabby; 07-13-2006 at 12:32 PM.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Glad you found it We are just going to have to meet up one of these days and ride our bikes together Esp if we have matching saddles and wedge bags LOL. I got the celeste color bottle racks and bottles (like yours also!) from that site too. The shipping was really reasonable and it came quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby

warning! My husband rode his b17 on a 24 hour bike ride. it rained for many hours that day. the seat is no longer shaped like a shovel, it is now shaped like
    a tent. it fits exactly to the crack of his butt!

so, if it's raining and you are on a 24 hour bike ride, you CAN ruin your brooks leather saddle.

but of course, he bought a new one!
    Mimitabby

Did he use the seat cover? Inquiring minds need to know.

Quill
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Quillfred
    Mimitabby

Did he use the seat cover? Inquiring minds need to know.

Quill
    you mean while he was riding?? NO.
    but he didn't even own the seat cover back then.

He had no idea that the leather saddle could get completely wet in 24 hours at body temperature and bathing conditions.

I'm thinking that even with a cover, this would have happened.

A sane person would have stayed home. lol
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Y'all have convinced me!

I have ordered a B17S from Bill at www.wallbike.com. It should ship on Monday and I'll get it by the end of next week.

I'm curious to see how this will work for me -- my sit bones are fine on my other saddles, but I notice slight discomfort in the front.

I think I'm going to try the saddle on my mountain bike (which I ride on weekdays for about an hour a day on the trails after work) and on my road bike (weekend warrior).

If all goes well, I'll probably get another one.

I can't wait to check it out!

-- Melissa

PS Here are my "burning questions":
    1. Will it be comfortable? I realize that some break in time may be necessary.
    2. Will it look out of place on my road bike (Trek 5200 WSD)? (If it's comfortable, who really cares?)
    3. Will I like it better on one bike than the other?
    4. How hard will it be to find the seat post settings with the new saddle?
    5. Is the uniquely conforming leather saddle thing all it's cracked up to be?
    6. How does this work if your seat bones are kind of narrow?

I know, I probably over think these things.

Quote Originally Posted by melissam
    I have ordered a B17S from Bill at www.wallbike.com.
    "burning questions":
    1. Will it be comfortable? I realize that some break in time may be necessary.
    2. Will it look out of place on my road bike (Trek 5200 WSD)? (If it's comfortable, who really cares?)
    3. Will I like it better on one bike than the other?
    4. How hard will it be to find the seat post settings with the new saddle?
    5. Is the uniquely conforming leather saddle thing all it's cracked up to be?
    6. How does this work if your seat bones are kind of narrow?

I know, I probably over think these things.
    Do you think it looks out of place on my Bianchi? (see about 8 posts up)

it took me about 3 tries to get the post set up just right.

at first you will be surprised because it is HARD. be sure to treat the saddle with the leather treatment.
    then you will notice 10-20 miles down the road that it's still hard but you're not sore.
    then you will notice 30-50 miles down the road that this is the best saddle you've ever sat on.
    I have one on each of my bikes.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Mimitabby,

Actually, it looks quite good on your Bianchi! Your pic was one of the factors in my deciding to give the Brooks a try, so thanks for posting it!

The thing is, though, that I associate Bianchis with traditional cycling, and I also associate Brooks with traditional cycling. Treks in carbon fiber, not so much. (I know, I'm weird.)

Yep, I'm definitely overthinking all this.

Oh, and thanks for the mileage guideance. I'll reserve my opinion until I've put about 50 or so good miles on her.

-- Melissa

PS I have a very traditional 20+ year old Bianchi: steel framed with friction shifters on the downtube and a double chainring. I love it! I'd probably still be riding it if I could have figured out a way to convert to a triple chainring without spending a gazillion dollars.

I think they are so good that I put a brooks on all three of my bikes. I want a 4th bike so I can try the B67.