Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooks Saddles

To disable ads, please log-in.

mimitabby; beautiful bike! I see why it is tough to wait! will you put the brooks saddle on it?

farrellcollie: re: the team pro s, I feel the same way--the more I ride it the more I can't imagine giving up this saddle. You know, I gave the riding over rough pavement more thought, I think that there is no saddle that would be comfortable in such conditions, rather: which is the least uncomfortable.

My team pro s was the pre softened model (the regular was out of stock and I was in to immediate gratification) I don't know if that has helped or not- but I now have it fitted so that the saddle just doesn't enter into my mind unless I conciously think about it - and thanks Stella for the reminder to stand up a bit out of the saddle when going over rough ground - it works.

I rode the champion flyer s for six miles today - I like the sprung saddle on my downtube folder - it makes the ride much less harsh. The saddle is wider - so that is causing some rubbing - still adjusting the fit. I don't think an unsprung saddle would work as well on the folder - the sprung part has improved the quality of the ride on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    mimitabby; beautiful bike! I see why it is tough to wait! will you put the brooks saddle on it?

farrellcollie: re: the team pro s, I feel the same way--the more I ride it the more I can't imagine giving up this saddle. You know, I gave the riding over rough pavement more thought, I think that there is no saddle that would be comfortable in such conditions, rather: which is the least uncomfortable.
    Stella, yes, i will put a Brooks saddle on it; just not sure which one.

got dimples!

Hey all...a silly but exciting thing happened today--my brooks saddle now has dimples from my sit bones! they are small--but I feel like I hit some brooks saddle milestone, to coin a phrase.
    Last edited by stella; 06-01-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stella
    Hey all...a silly but exciting thing happened today--my brooks saddle now has dimples from my sit bones! they are small--but I feel like I hit some brooks saddle milestone, to coin a phrase.
    sounds like you coined the saddle... so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch
    That's great to hear! I seem to be changing my fore/aft tilt all the time, depending on what kind of mood my seat region is in. For some reason, the Pro hasn't taken as long to start shaping itself to me.
    Nuthatch, let me get this straight--do you have a Team Pro (not a S) and another Brooks?

I'm still fidgety with my Team Pro. My sits felt odd, not really sore but wondering if I had a touch of sciatica. I'm not sure if I should proof it or wait to see what my decision will be.

Stella, do you think the seat dimples make it more comfortable?

Oh questions, questions, questions....

Quillfred: the seat dimples indicate that the saddle is breaking into my sit bone shape and will become more comfortable as time goes on b/c the saddle is my shape. So far, I find the Team Pro S to be pretty comfortable.

It did take some time to dial in the saddle to the correct position on my bike--but that has always been the case regardless of the saddle. I have the nose very slightly pointed down (looks pretty level to the naked eye).

B 67 vs B67-s

Is there a difference other than length of the nose?

I'm leaning toward the long-nosed one. My main reason for the b67 over the others is for the width. I've got the wide version of sitz bones.

And will my skort get caught in the springs?

(and can I really justify buying a Brooks? For my $400 bike?)

Edit: fickle me, I've gone back to my first choice. The B72. I like those goofy looking springs, and with free shipping over $100 the seat sandwich will push my order over into the free shipping zone. Just called Wallingford but he was closed for the weekend. I have 2 days to talk myself out of this! (but do I want to?)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-03-2006 at 06:04 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Hi Knotted,

It is definitely worth buying a brooks for any price bike because you can always change them from one bike to another, and once you find the comfort zone you will never want to change saddles again!

Also, to you ladies who are finding saddles slippery. What I did was apply the proofhide and then hand buffed it into the saddle...worked like a dream!!

karen
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet

Yes you can - have two bikes that were each under 400 and I bought brooks for both as well as $$$roadbike. I commute on the other bikes, don't use cycling clothes and the brooks are great. I just lent my folder to a coworker for next week (she is trying to decide whether to commute on bike before buying one) and offered to change saddles if she didn't like the brooks - she tried bike and both saddles and chose to use the brooks champion flyer s rather than squishier saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet
    You sure can! I have a brooks b17 on my beater/commuter bike (this bike cost me $7.00 at a yard sale, well, actually it cost me nothing b/c some friends of mine purchased this bike for me as a "changing careers/going back to school" gift).

A comfortable saddle is worth the bikes weight in gold! The more comfy I am, the more I ride!

after 80 miles, a photo

we still had a good 20 miles of the ride to go, but couldn't resist the photo op.
    please note the stoker saddle. it's a brooks b67
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smokey.jpg 
Views:	1048 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	932  

Is that a Soft Ride beam in the stoker position?

yeah, a B67 is on my list for Santa. (or S.O.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

yes, it is a soft ride beam but don't ask me how good it is, it's the only tandem
    i've ever rode (and i still went through 4 saddles in 1 year!)

I have joined the Brooks cult....

Just ordered my black/black frame/black springs B67 from Wallingford. Should get here on Tuesday!

Ooooh! Finally a seat that spans my entire sit bones, not just one that goes barely from one to the other!

And springs to dampen the jolts from my aluminum frame!

I can hardly wait.....

(PS, I chatted with Bill about Wallingford and his first shop, and his shop used to be about 10 blocks from where I lived in Wallingford.)