Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Saddles

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went out on a short 12 miler today and didn't feel the saddle - though the riding pants I was wearing were too slippery. I think I have just been having an adjustment period with spring time + new saddle but time will tell!
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Kitsune06 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    I got a new bike so that I would *not* have to do that. And my trainer recommends against it.

Anyway it looks like a Brooks would not help me. Thanks.
    in that case it really sounds like your new bike may be too big for you? I hope not.

No, the new bike is not too big. I am working with my bike fitter. He is adamant that I do not want to curve my back in the way you guys are describing.

So, thanks but no thanks.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I always tell my folks that if we experiment and do something that seems to work, but that later in the real world causes them pain or distress - I want them to come back PDQ! If it hurts, it obviously is the wrong thing and I want to make it right.

Get ahold of your fitter and tell him about your problem. He knows from his training that with the bars even with your saddle and you up on the flats there is no way you should be on the rami, and he can help you figure out what is up.

But you have to let him know that something has gone wrong with your position! Don't be shy! Everyone who has had bike fit training knows pelvic anatomy and the dangers of improper placement, and they don't have any problem talking about pelvic pains and personal bits and other embarrassing stuff. (I get to talk about incontinence and sexual problems from pelvis/saddle interactions with nearly every other fit, it's just another day at the office...)

Trust me, he'd rather know something was wrong, and he won't be upset nor think it's criticism. Often things can look very different during a fit session than they do out in the real world. People shift around, postures change, it can be very different. It's all good data!
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 04-18-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: edited to correct grammar mistakes
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I am very shy about discussing such things with men, but my fitter made it very easy to discuss all of this when I was going through my saddle fit problems last summer. He knew how to refer to various bits of my anatomy in a way that wouldn't embarrass me - he was quite professional about it all. I am just mentioning this as the experience of someone who has had significant issues in this department. He can't help you unless he knows.

ny I can relate - I need to keep the top of my back straight or I get all kinds of neck pain and upper shoulder pain. It isn't natural for me to do that. My fitter said not to suck in my gut but I find if I do suck it in and pull my lower body more perpendicular to the ground I'm getting the sit bones where they need to be and having a straighter upper back. He also said to work on my forward flexibility as that yoga pose appears to help. I need to definitely work on that as my small mileage this spring has me with the stiffness in the neck and shoulders again!
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

I went into detail about the location of the pain I'm getting from my current saddle as well as some other saddles I've tried. I bent my finger with my knuckle pointing down and said -- if this is the ischial tuberosity, this part here is where it hurts.

He checked some things, moved the saddle a few times, I commented on how each move felt, and he wound up lowering it. If that doesn't help, I'll go back for more adjustments, and if needed we'll talk about other saddles to try.

Thanks

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Butt update: (P.S. I loved typing that.) My B-17 sits happily on my LHT. After a year and a half I'm finally wearing indentions in the leather that tell me I do "fit". I finally got that the B-17 likes to be tilted upwards slightly and not level at all for me. If you look at it on my Surly you might think I get gouged, but I can't even feel it. Sometimes when I ride I check to see if the nose is still there. LOL.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Got a B-17 Imperial from a fellow TE'er Put it on my hybrid. It feels: just like my Specialized Ruby and Toupe! But more appropriate for an upright position, I think. Especially when it finally 'breaks in.'

May try the B-68 Imperial someday, just to compare.

One thing is certain: I like T-shaped saddles
    So glad to hear the saddle works well for you! I'm about to put a new B67 on my Trek Pure. It is right by the bike, but I've been sick and too lazy to actually turn the few bolts it would take to install.
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncyclista View Post
    I finally got that the B-17 likes to be tilted upwards slightly and not level at all for me. If you look at it on my Surly you might think I get gouged, but I can't even feel it. Sometimes when I ride I check to see if the nose is still there. LOL.
    Yup , i'm the same- my Brooks are just right when the nose is tilted ever so slightly UP, not level. My husband's are the same.

Go figure- everyone says the nose has to be perfectly level....but when we do that we are uncomfortable and keep sliding forward- ick!

DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kitsune06 Guest
    my b68 tips up a little too. I never would have thought that'd be as comfortable as it is.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Yeah, it's such a funny thing, isn't it? Go figure!
    but ain't it great that we're comfy!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kitsune06 Guest
    Sure is, Lisa.

Rode the Kona 29er for a really long rails-to-trails ride a couple of weeks ago and decided it has to have a B67! I don't ever want to be in that kind of pain again. I'm going to save the MTB saddle on its own seatpost for times when we decide to do aggressive downhill riding, but this bike is usually used for long trail rides. The Brooks on my commuter is perfect, and my position is similar on the 29er. I rarely wear bike shorts on the Brooks and I never have any pain, no matter how long the ride. I had sitbone pain for the first few rides a couple of years ago when I first got it. Then the pain went away and never came back. I ride year-round so I don't have those "break in" rides at the beginning of the season.

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhillsbiker View Post
    Rode the Kona 29er for a really long rails-to-trails ride a couple of weeks ago and decided it has to have a B67!
    It's amazing how comfie the Brooks saddle is--even on a mtb. Say goodbye to those hot spots and sores from inferior saddles.