Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooks Saddles

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob
    just a smidge. (Or would that be a skosh?)
    Or perhaps it's nooge.

I will keep playing with it - I had it too pointed down at first and slid forward. If the soft bits get worked out - it is great. I shall move it down a tittle.

farrellcollie,

had to set my team pro s the same as you have set up the b17 (with the nose slightly tilted down).

do you spend time in the drops?

I don't really spend time in the drops - I am new to roadbikes in general and am still getting used to bike - I am waiting for a stem riser to come in because I want handebars up just a bit and lbs was out of them. I haven't figured out how to ride in the drops and still see ahead. I am going to fiddle with tilt before today's ride - for last night - after I adjusted it from being too tilted down - it was pretty level for the majority of ride. This may sound odd - but it was amazing at how I didn't really feel saddle beneath me with the brooks - only when I got off I noticed soft tissue was sore. Today - some soreness still. It may also be some of my adjustment to road bike from very upright hybrid commuter bike and my little downtube folding bike
    Last edited by farrellcollie; 05-17-2006 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by farrellcollie
    This may sound odd - but it was amazing at how I didn't really feel saddle beneath me with the brooks - only when I got off I noticed soft tissue was sore. Today - some soreness still. It may also be some of my adjustment to road bike from very upright hybrid commuter bike and my little downtube folding bike
    not odd at all...I have the same experience with the brooks. It disappears when I am riding. I've never experienced that before on any type of bike. some soft tissue pain--that is disappearing, now, too. I rode 30 miles today and was pretty comfortable. (exams are done--I can just relax, now).
    Last edited by stella; 05-17-2006 at 09:46 AM.

i got one too! B67!

After trying the MTB women's saddle and then the butterfly
    I finally went and got a B67.
    I had already tried a more "sporty" looking brooks, maybe it was the b17, but after 35 miles, there was pain.
    With the butterfly, bit and butt pains became the defining moments of the ride at about 12 miles in, so I knew I was NOT making progress.

I rode 16 miles on TUesday on my new (not broken in) brooks b67 and it was SO GREAT. there is still a little of the bits stuff from bumping so i am trying to adjust the seat so that this is minimized (and I'm going to slather on that stuff
    that my husband uses to cut back on friction) and I wil be ready to go.
    Bigger rides this weekend and next.
    Will let you all know. What a relief!

Today I received my team pro s - I put it on road bike and moved b17 over to hybrid commuter where I sit more upright. the team pro s felt better on soft tissue - I think for me the shorter saddle will be better on that bike. I rode b17 last night for 6 or so miles and soft tissue was not as sore when I got off so I am thinking it will be good - particularly on hybrid. I put proof hide on b17 - and it seemed to make it less slippery. hmmm-now for the downtube folder...

First longer ride of the season coming up this weekend - will post after that about saddle progress (at this point I am a lot more worried about clipless pedals than brooks saddle)

Farrell
    I have the slippery problem too. I fantasize about having chamois on the outside of the bike shorts so i won't be so slippery!

mimi and farrell:

a friend of mine has been riding brooks saddles for many years and told me the slippery feeling goes away. For him, he said it took anywhere in between 100-200 miles.

I am at about 100 w/my team pro s--it is less slippery.

I rode scott contessa roadster and brooks team pro s (pre-softened - I realized that today - it is stamped on saddle - I could not tell pre-softened or not from comparing it with b17) today for the first real ride - 20 miles (I know not much compared to most riders on this forum - but I like to slowly build up - middle age is hell) it took (according to bike computer) 1 hour and 40 minutes - some rolling hills in southern illinois - no major hills but not flat as a pancake either. During the ride the saddle felt great ( mostly not noticed at all - slippery still - thanks Stella for the hope of less slipperiness soon) - The shorter saddle is definitely better for me. A little soreness - but not bad and I mostly attribute it to not biking for more than 5 miles at a time commute to work or coupled of 9 or so mile rides on new bike just to get used to feel of it- just being on bike for that long is going to cause me some soreness at this point. I am tempted to try the champion flyer s sprung saddle - the only discomfort on saddle today was going over a few potholes - then I felt the hardness pretty strongly on backside.
    Last edited by farrellcollie; 05-22-2006 at 06:48 AM.

congrats Farrell! On my two rides this weekend I was so happy that my butt was not the focus of ALL of my thoughts for a change.
    I had a little soreness too, but like you said, that is to be expected because i haven't been riding much.

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby

I rode 16 miles on TUesday on my new (not broken in) brooks b67 and it was SO GREAT. !
    Mimi - Is the b67 very springy? what kind of bike do you have it on? I am very tempted to try springs - I now know I really like the brooks and the size that works for me - now on to sprung or unsprung. Poor Wallingford - but yea their exchange policy - and I don't feel too bad about trying another saddle because I know I am going to keep at least two of them as soon as I determine the right model.

Stella - did you ever try a sprung? any disadvantages that you know of (other than total lack of coolness) to riding road bike with sprung saddle?

Thanks

the saddle is not springy. You can't feel those springs. It is stable as it can be. Now the cons to this are that the springs add weight. if you are way freaked out about how many ounces your seat post weighs, don't get this saddle.
    Because my husband is a little nutzo about that very thing, i tried 4 other saddles first. (that cost some $!) but i still came back to the b67 saddle..

fine tuning

okay, so what's it mean if you feel like you need to hold yourself back with your arms, like you are sliding forward.. but when you push yourself to the back of the seat, it feels like you should bend your torso down (like in a racing position)
    but then if i tilt the seat up more, then the girl bits get smushed too much..
    one thing about it, i am not going to get any hot spots because I am moving around so much trying to find the right place on the saddle!

Quote Originally Posted by farrellcollie
    Stella - did you ever try a sprung? any disadvantages that you know of (other than total lack of coolness) to riding road bike with sprung saddle?

Thanks
    The only disadvantages is the pressure on the soft tissue because of the riding position on a road bike with the handlebars set below the saddle. I believe, based mostly on my experience, that this is because I ride differently on my road versus my commuter versus my (recently sold ) 3 speed comfort bike.

On my road bike (w/the team pro s): there are times I am slightly off my saddle to absorb the road bumps. (In this position, my pedals are in the 9am and 3pm position, my arms are slightly bent and I am barely on the saddle). Also, because the handlebars are lower, my soft tissue tends to make more contact with the saddle, esp those times I am in the drops. I think this is why the b17 did not work for me on this bike.

On my commuter (which has dropped handlebars and the B17): the saddle and handlebars are just about even. I tend to be more upright and on my saddle a lot more. More pressure is on my rear bones due to my riding position, but some still on the soft tissue. I still get off the saddle when hitting bumps or the unavoidable pot hole.

My experience with sprung saddles has been limited to 3 speed bikes. (the type was ridden by the Wicked witch of the West in "Wizard of Oz"). The sprung saddle was very comfy. more of my weight was on the rear bones than the soft tissue. Sort of like sitting at my desk.

Another recent discovery: if the shorts have more padding (my nalani brand shorts), I have more soft tissue pain on my road bike. Niethre my sugoi's shorts nor my adidas bibs give me that problem, regardless which bike/saddle. I concluded that is because of the padding.

However, with Bill's return policy, I say try the sprung model.

how goes the assessment between the b17 and the team pro s?
    Last edited by stella; 05-22-2006 at 11:29 AM.