Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooks Saddles

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been scouring the Internet, particularly this thread, to help me decide which Brooks saddle to get. I don't have a lot of experience with bikes in general, and certainly not with different kinds of saddles.

I currently have a Kona Dew hybrid, handlebars are a little higher than the Specialized women specific gel seat that is currently on it. So I'm not exactly upright, but not as leaned forward as some people I see on hybrids. (Though I also understand that there is some debate that position is irrelavent, and that sit bone width is what's important).

I would call myself a beginner/casual cyclist, generally biking a short commute to work in the summer and working my way up to longer rides and touring. Last summer I did my first bike/camp self supported tour of 120 km round trip. I feel like such a neophyte among all you amazing women. But now I turn to you for advice!

After much reading, I find myself torn between the Champion Flyer and the B67. I feel a little discouraged from the calls to Wall Bike and my LBS. Wall Bike seemed to point me more in the direction of the B17 (unsprung Flyer) because of its versatility. When I asked what the disadvantage was over the B67 the response was "it's probably not as comfortable"... really? Isn't that the point of a Brooks saddle? Why wouldn't I want the more comfortable one? Answer: well, you might want to ride more leaned over and the B67 isn't as comfortable for that.

When I called my LBS, they actually sounded appalled that I was considering a Brooks saddle (they do not stock, but will order), and asked why I wouldn't look at other fabulous saddles, such as Fizik? Granted, when I get fixated on something, I usually put blinders on to other great possibilities, but I had just called asking a specific question about Brooks.

Anyway...

I did my best to measure my sit bones, and they're about 130 mm.

Any advice?

Edit: Oh, and while Wall Bike has a great return policy, the shipping to and from Canada doesn't make it quite as feasible as it first seems. So I'm not quite as reliant on that, though it's still a decent option.

At 130mm I think you could use any Brooks and be fine.. it's those of us in the 160mm+ club that have limited choices

But that said, your sit bone measurement does leave a lot of nice options open.. if you are set on a brooks, think about which model will suit your needs best, not just which might or might not be more comfortable.. I have a b.68s (like the b67, but no springs) on my road bike and I don't even feel it under me.. it disappears, which is what a good saddle should do, and I'm not riding it upright

Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    At 130mm I think you could use any Brooks and be fine.. it's those of us in the 160mm+ club that have limited choices

But that said, your sit bone measurement does leave a lot of nice options open.. if you are set on a brooks, think about which model will suit your needs best, not just which might or might not be more comfortable.. I have a b.68s (like the b67, but no springs) on my road bike and I don't even feel it under me.. it disappears, which is what a good saddle should do, and I'm not riding it upright
    So, if I understand correctly, the bike shop guy would roll his eyes at you and tell you that you are using the wrong seat for your bike

Well, my first need right now IS comfort. If I'm not comfortable on my seat, I won't ride as much because I'm miserable.

When it comes to the other needs, I guess I just don't know enough about them to understand what saddle suits which needs. So, if my needs are casual riding, working up to touring, and getting some exercise. So, I know I don't need a racing saddle. Is there more to know?

Edit: Is it wrong that a part of me leans toward the B67 because it comes in the darker aged brown and the Flyer doesn't?
    Last edited by jezbael; 04-12-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Sarahspins, I was considering a B68 for my road bike but Bill at Wallbikes said it was too wide for the leaning forward of my road bike. He suggested a B17S or Team Pro S (my sitbones are 140 center to center, 160 end to end).

I have gotten mixed messages about saddle width and lean position. I'd really like to think it's not a big deal. Do you lean forward a lot or are you more upright?

Thanks!

I ride a B68 on all of my road bikes. Yes, jezbael's bike shop guy, that is a B68 on a road bike. Like sarahspins, I have wide sit bones and not only are the other Brooks saddles too narrow so are most "modern" saddles....well, except for the tractor saddles that have 3" of padding and become uncomfortable in the first three miles. You think a B68 looks odd on a road bike, try seeing one of those tractor saddles!

The B68 (and it cousin, the B67) are targeted for upright riding. As such, they have a rather abrupt transition from the saddle top over the edge (whereas the B17 is more rounded as it transitions over the edge). But, you know, the beauty of leather is that after you ride it a while, it forms your style and the sharper transition of the B68 goes away. Yes, initially, I had some abrasions at the edge transition, but after the leather relaxed, the saddle works just fine for a road bike.

That said, the B67 is much wider than you will probably need (dark brown, eh?). In the end, though, saddles are second only to chamois choice in getting quite up close and personal. And anyone's recommendation except your own butt is probably wrong.

I am not an expert but I doubt I could be comfy on a B17. My sit bones are 164mm center to center... but I'd bet you'd be okay on the B17 or the team pro. I haven't TRIED either one though, so it's hard to say (love the copper rivets on the team pro though).

I am pretty sure that there are several others here on TE who ride either the b67 or b68 on road bikes.. becuase no other saddle is WIDE enough. Is it meant for road use? Perhaps not, but when you're not given a whole lot of other options... it works great

And it doesn't matter how wide my butt is, right? Just my sit bones? Cuz... ya know... well we won't go there.

Quote Originally Posted by jezbael View Post
    And it doesn't matter how wide my butt is, right? Just my sit bones? Cuz... ya know... well we won't go there.
    Yep.

Yeah, but on the internet, we can be as thin as fit as our inner selves believe us to be!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    I am not an expert but I doubt I could be comfy on a B17. My sit bones are 164mm center to center... but I'd bet you'd be okay on the B17 or the team pro. I haven't TRIED either one though, so it's hard to say (love the copper rivets on the team pro though).
    I tried (another 165mm'r here). I was stubborn about the B68 and having problems (needed a cutout) so I put DH's B17 on my bike. I was sitting on the saddle, but right on the edge. In the end I was sitting over the hard frame, not the soft leather. Nope. Wasn't going to work. But, it looks so much prettier.....

In the end, my B68 may not be a sleek beauty on my road bike, but, heck, since it is a saddle that fits me and doesn't cause my pain, she's a lovely saddle to me.

Well that's good to know Thorn..guess I can save myself the trouble of trying it then!

And yeah, someone could be on the heavy side and have narrow sit bones and be totally fine on a narrow saddle - likewise they could be 90lbs and still "need" something super wide... because it's all about your bones, not the rest of you

So, because I'm somewhat obsessive about these sorts of things, I tried measuring my sit bones again using a different method. First method was sitting on two markers and measuring the distance between them. Second method was the tin foil on a yoga mat routine, which gave me a measurement of 150 mm (previous 130 mm). I'm not particularly convinced either are right, so perhaps I'm somewhere in between?

What I know is that when I currently sit on my bike, it feels like I'm sitting inside my sit bone. I don't really know how to explain it, but my soreness isn't at the tip of the sit bone where a typical yoga sit would be. Rather it is up and in a bit. I don't know if that's because I'm leaning forward or because the seat is too narrow (160 mm) and my sit bone is straddling a bit. Does that make sense?

This is why I keep waffling between a Flyer and a B67. I can't believe that a Flyer S (177 mm at best) is going to give me that much more realty than what I currently have. Are there disadvantages to having a seat that is "too wide" for the average sit bone?

Quote Originally Posted by jezbael View Post
    Are there disadvantages to having a seat that is "too wide" for the average sit bone?
    I was wondering this one last night, but given my particular body shape, I haven't a clue. I'll be interested in your replies.

If the nose of the saddle is too wide, that will obviously cause problems. Also, if the transition from the seat to the nose is too gradual for you (pear-shaped saddles), that could also be an issue.

But, the B67 has a narrow nose and it has a very quick transition from the seat area to the nose (it is very t-shaped).

I never really mastered any of the sit bone measuring techniques, but after a month on my B-68 I have a very clear set of dimples and an accurate measurement in my riding position

Boy you sound like you ought to get that B67. I tried a B17 for a full month of riding. I finally gave up after a 50 mile ride where it just kept getting worse. i have used a B67 (and before that a B66) on every bike i've ridden for 10 years.
    I tried to go 'conventional' and tried a terry saddle, some MTB saddles, i sat on a bontrager for about 10 minutes, I tried probably 1/2 dozen of the saddles that you can find in most bike shops and gave up and got back onto my B67. I'd get a B68 if i didn't already have the b67.
    Jezbel, since you are considering longer rides, i don't think you could go wrong with the Brooks. and remember, once you get it, you have to have it positioned in the right way. come back and talk to us, we'll help you, as it 's clear to me your bike shop will not.
    Good luck!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

The fitter at my LBS measured my sit-bones again at my request, and came up with the same basic measurement - it just changed from 11 to 11.5cm - so that would be 115mm. That seems narrow to me - but it was the same basic measurement two times in a row.

So the B17 is on my LHT, and I got it from my LBS since I could pick it up for a much lower price than Wallbikes - though I will regret that if I have to switch. In my short 2 mile ride when I brought my LHT home it seemed fine - indeed I didn't even notice the saddle at all. But that was only two miles - if that far. Seated on the trainer it seemed to me that perhaps my sit-bones were a little close to the edge, but that may not have been correct.

Stella still has the stock saddle she came with, and so far that is comfy - we will see once I start building my mileage base. 15 miles is one thing, if the B17 works out then I will probably just go ahead and switch Stella's saddle out as well just to be safe.

Catrin, sounds like the B17 is working for you.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi