Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooks Saddles

report on my new brooks

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got a brooks countess. It has springs. Yesterday was my longest ride in it. I rode 30 miles with no ill effects. I have only had it for 2 weeks. It did at first seem like the adjustment nut underneath was in EXACTLT the wrong spot. I thought, it would never break in right, with so much metal under the nose. It seems fine though. Now that I know I am for sure keeping it. I plan to oil the underside with hydrophane. That's the oil I always used to break in my horse saddles. Warning, if you oil the top side, the dye will come off on your clothes.

To anyone/everyone on this thread. My problem is never sit bones, it's girly bits. I was wondering if anyone had similar problems and found the brooks to be the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by doc
    To anyone/everyone on this thread. My problem is never sit bones, it's girly bits. I was wondering if anyone had similar problems and found the brooks to be the solution?
    I definitely have the girly bits problem too. Since the brooks (b66, b67) supports a bigger/wider part of your rear end, it actually holds the other stuff up higher too.
    What I noticed about my great old wonderful brooks that i don't like, is on a long long ride, when i try to flex my back and rotate my pelvis, the pointy
    part of the seat bangs my girly bits. BUT while riding, it does a fairly good job of supporting the rest so i only know about the girly bits when I stop abruptly
    and slip forward.
    I wish i could share that article that I posted about in my other post, but it's copyrighted and it's not legal to do that. But the article and the book (that someone has lent me ) talk a lot about these problems.

which saddle?

Hi I'm Lauren a newby from Australia, MTB and Old Ladies BSA with chain and skirt guard still fitted ) I love it to bits.

I have been reading all the posts regarding saddles and I guess that they just prove one thing; no matter how we feel or what we think, it all boils down to personal preference! I have a man's saddle on my MTB and it works for me just fine, of course, the BSA has a British Lion leather saddle with springs and stays, thank goodness it's not on my MTB (

Good Cheers, Lauren

i am a new brooks user. any of you ever use neatsfoot oil to "soften" the leather? I am thinking about it, but am not sure. I don't want to ruin it, I have the team pro S.

thanks!

The only thing I've ever put on my Brooks is the stuff they sell with it, I think it's called Proofhide. I'd check with them before adding anything different.

karen
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

Uh-oh, now you have me busy pecking away at the keyboard researching the Brooks and the Selle SMP models. I wonder if larger thighs (like mine) would rub on the wider-nosed women's saddles.

It is a funny thing, too, given that they represent two extremes in saddle design. I just realized that on 30+ mile rides, I have to limit riding in the drops due to bits-squish on my stock Bontrager.

Quillfred, I first ordered the men's B17 Champion because I was concerned about my thigh rubbing. The B17 hurt my soft tissue. I ended up with the Team Pro S, same width as the B17 men's but wider in the soft tissue area. I set the saddle up the way that Brooks recommends and I have minimal soft tissue pain (compared to all the other saddles I tried!).

The team pro was recommended for riders that spend time in the drops. My handlebar is about 2 inches below my saddle height.

I ended up ordering from Bill at wallingford bicycles. I don't know the web address. They have a 6 mos return policy. I returned the B17 and was refunded pretty quickly. Plus, Bill answered every question I had. excellant customer service, clearly he has a passion for cycling and wants you to ride whatever saddle works for you.

I hope this helps!

massbike--thanks for the advice, I think I will just stick with the proofhide and be safe and sure.

I ordered one... wish me luck and thanks for the links! The 6 month return policy is awesome... makes it really safe for me to try this and not worry that I'm gonna be stuck with a $100 saddle that I can't ride!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

I am trying to decide between the B17 and B17S - The B17 seems very long - but the B17S seems way too short. DId the length take anyone time to get used to? I am concerned about my soft bits - not sit bones. ALso Team PRo S and B17S have the same dimensions - I can't figure out the difference in the two. I have my handlebars a little above my seat (getting used to roadbike slowly). I plan on ordering from Wallingford so I can return it if it doesn't work.
    Last edited by farrellcollie; 05-10-2006 at 08:19 PM.

I started with the B17S and it was too short for me. There didn't seem to be enough variety in where I could perch because of that quicker narrowing of the saddle. I traded (good old Wallingford!) to the B17 after about three weeks and the nose doesn't seem too long at all.

The Team Pro (I have the B17 on my commuter and the Team Pro on my weekend bike now) is the same size as the B17S but it's made of thicker leather. It works fine for a more horizontal position on drop handlebars. But I've got to say, I wish it had a longer sitting area because I like to move around. The girly bits are still a bit of a problem on very long rides. Your sit bones can force the leather to shape to them but you have to get just the right position to protect those softer parts.

Be prepared to work at making this type of saddle personalize itself to your shape. Some folks love them immediately and others, like me, have had to work for miles and miles to get the leather to shape into a more comfortable form. Once, they are at that point, you don't think about the saddle anymore, no matter how long the ride is!
    Last edited by nuthatch; 05-11-2006 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by farrellcollie
    I am trying to decide between the B17 and B17S - The B17 seems very long - but the B17S seems way too short. DId the length take anyone time to get used to? I am concerned about my soft bits - not sit bones. ALso Team PRo S and B17S have the same dimensions - I can't figure out the difference in the two. I have my handlebars a little above my seat (getting used to roadbike slowly). I plan on ordering from Wallingford so I can return it if it doesn't work.
    I am a new brooks user, here's my experience (for what it is worth):
    interestingly enough, I discovered that the mens B17 and the Team Pro S have the same width (170). I returned the B17 b/c of soft tissue pain. I am currently riding the Team Pro S and have not found the shorter length to be an issue for me. I set the saddle up according to the instructions. Monday I rode 25 miles and had no soft tissue problems.

My handlebars are about 2 inches below the saddle. From what I understand the B17 is for more upright, less time in the drops and the team pro is for folks that spend time in the drops.

I'll keep you posted on my experience too... mine came in yesterday... will ride it this weekend for the first time...

nuthatch... I'm hoping my weight will help break it in faster! LOL... hey, it's gotta be good for SOMETHING!

as to the length, I'm already on the Butterfly and it's not real long either so... here's hoping for less soft bits pain!!! My butt is fine... but oh... those soft bits
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

I rode my new b17 for 6 miles today - great except for the soft parts which are sore. The saddle was comfortable - I am going to try it for another week or so and see - if no improvement in the soft tissue I will try the S model. I thought it was very comfortable while riding -albeit slippery.

Just remember that a very slight adjustment of the tilt of the saddle can make a huge difference.

So if your "bits" are feeling squashed, you might want to try to tilt the nose of the saddle downward just a smidge. (Or would that be a skosh?)