Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooks Saddles

Kitsune06 Guest

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know... and I will be getting the proofhide, but in the meantime, since the saddle itself is black and there's no darkening in the forseeable future, I think I'll just occasionally (i.e. only after getting wet, etc) use this until I can get some.

It's not viscuous like neatsfoot oil or other oils that even Sheldon Brown recommended 'soaking' saddles in... There are very few things from Sheldon's site that I'll disregard, and the 'oil soak' for leather saddles is one. still, lightly dressing the saddle so the summer dryness/dampness doesn't harm it can't hurt too much. Trust me, if the dressing contained tallows or patroleum products, they wouldn't touch it. I know my leathers.

B17s

Yep, sounds about right. The first few times I kept thinking I would slip off , but I never did. I have had mine for maybe 3 weeks and it already has formed to my body and I love it. Very, very comfortable and soft (compared to when I first got it and thought it was quite hard). I have used proofhide twice. I bought the cover for it should I get caught out in the rain. All in all, I am thrilled with my B17S and hope you find a similar fondness for your saddle. Enjoy!
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Thumbs up I love my B17S too!

In fact, I love it so much that I finally decided that I needed a Brooks saddle for my mountain bike, which I use for riding on a very flat, non-technical trail after work.

I tried the B17S on my mountain bike, and after I got it positioned correctly, except...it's pretty wide. If I ever do any more technical trails, I'm not sure I could get behind the B17S.

I called Wallbike, and talked to Diana. I ordered the B17 (standard, guys model.) Since my seat bones aren't that far apart, we figured I could use the B17. The longer nose could be an advantage as well for mountain biking. I got the B17 yesterday, and applied the proofhide.

Today was the maiden voyage. I think it's a keeper! I can tell it's not as broken in as the B17S, but time will take of that. It's more slippery than I ever remember the B17S being, but time should take care of that too. The longer nose didn't bother me, but I'm still not sure if I could get behind the seat for those tricky descents.

Good luck with the break-in period, Kitsune! According to the Brooks pamphlet, some people back off the tension 1/2 turn during the initial break in period. I wonder if that would help with the pierce?

-- Melissa

Kitsune06 Guest
    I don't have the 'accessory' kit with my saddle (knowing my propensity to fidget with things and my light weight, I decided against actually getting the tensioning tool) but I'm not sure that backing down the tension would help much as it's all in the 'soft' tissue. I'll see how things work out tomorrow...
    Thanks for the idea, though... I'll ruminate on it. =D

Hey Kitsune,
    don't worry about the tensioner yet you need to break in the saddle first.
    I've never touched that adjustment and i'm on my 3rd brooks (for 3 bikes!)
    have fun
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I've tensioned my B67 8 or 9 times already. Diane at Wallbike said that was the only way to get it to stop creaking and groaning and snapping and twanging. My B67 might be the 5% that just won't stop being noisy.

Pretty sure that after the tri I'll be sending it back. Most comfortable saddle i've EVER used, but I can't stand the noise and feeling like it's gonna fall apart under me.

I'll talk to Bill and Diane, but I think I'll skip the springs which allow the frame to torque and replace it with a B72. I don't want another noisy beastie.

I'm sticking with Brooks.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Have you ever noticed how many people want to pet your Brooks? Friends, bike mechanics....might make for a good candid camera episode.

Do other saddles get their share of attention as well?
    Yes, SHE can.

"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly"
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

Kitsune06 Guest
    I'm just all giddy waiting for my buttdents to form! After I've taken my 6 months, and have it all broken in, I'm so curious to see if I'll still be interested in doing what the guys have done under the "Butchered and Tied" section... I think it'd look nice with the skirts trimmed, but maybe that's just me. My bike sorta goes for the 'rough and minimalist' look... so I'd be interested in doing that so one could see all the naked, empty air under the thick hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune06
    I'm just all giddy waiting for my buttdents to form! After I've taken my 6 months, and have it all broken in, I'm so curious to see if I'll still be interested in doing what the guys have done under the "Butchered and Tied" section... I think it'd look nice with the skirts trimmed, but maybe that's just me. My bike sorta goes for the 'rough and minimalist' look... so I'd be interested in doing that so one could see all the naked, empty air under the thick hide.
    Yes, some of those saddles looked really cool like that!
    Shouldn't take long for something to change on your saddle that sounds like wood (I have to go check that today!)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Quillfred
    Have you ever noticed how many people want to pet your Brooks? Friends, bike mechanics....might make for a good candid camera episode.

Do other saddles get their share of attention as well?
    Several years ago people made fun of my saddle when they noticed it. Very few people think it's funny looking now; instead I get a sort of reverence. it's a kick.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Kitsune06 Guest
    1st ride- about 10 miles before an asthma attack and nausea caused me to call it a day... (really gotta look into getting prilosec or something again.. )

Observations: You really DO notice it a lot more on the sitbones than anywhere else. Didn't do a whole lot of adjustment, but one thing I've noticed that's irritating me... The seat part is just wide enough, but the skirts seem to flare out a little and it's rubbing on the back of my left thigh. Not the right. I adjusted the l-r swing of the saddle to the left. No dice. Any ideas what this might be?

To spare myself unnecessary agony, I took the pierce out, but after realizing I'm feeling no chafing/rubbing/grinding on anything, I actually don't think it'll be a problem- and I rode with just regular undies and my cargos... no chamois to smooth things over. I like this saddle. I was getting pretty tired of the chafing on the bits. Also, probably related to the slipperiness of the saddle, I had no problems with sliding around on the saddle, even though what I did was all hilly... I just found that sweet spot where my butt 'fit' and there was no sliding from there. Schweet.

... one question, though. If one's weight *shouldn't* be on the nose of the saddle, why do so many mtb'ers prefer long-nosed saddles?

Kitsune,
    Sorry about the asthma/nausea. I went out earlier to ride and hit a wall of humidity and promprty turned around and went back into my A/C.

Saddle-no clue about the preferenced of MTBs.

My saddle has the sitbone indentations-not really visable, but when my bum is properly on the seat it is as if they become one-weird, but sweet for riding and never a soft tissue issue. As for the flare rubbing your leg-I do not recall that ever being an issue-but when I first rode I wore my capris. Now when I look at my saddle it has formed to my body shape (which is sweet since it has been less than a month), so the sides no longer "flare", but look more contoured to my leg/bum shape, if that makes any sense?

As for your tummy-ask your doc about prevacid-I take it once daily and it works wonders. I did Prilosec and all the others until we stumbled unto this one and no side effects.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

the flare on my Brooks skirts also softened and smoothed down. Don't worry. If yours keeps bugging you, call Wallbike. And if after 6 months its still bugging you, send it back.

(I HATE that I'm gonna have to send mine back, when it's really starting to soften up and really form to me! Dang! Next one, B72 probably.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Kitsune06 Guest
    I'm just going to grin and bear it because all the functionally important parts seem to fit just right. If it's still actually an issue after the 6 mo return date, I might just butcher it... er... 'swallowize' as they call it. Those modded saddles look sooo nice.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

Thumbs up

I've had my B17S for a few weeks now, and I love it. I rode it without treating it at all for two weeks, then Proof-Hide'ed it twice. It makes no noises (no springs), no flaring problem, doesn't seem too wide (I have "average" woman's hips, not narrow hips), and doesn't seem too slippery. I wear either very thin chamois or none at all, and am having no discomfort on the Brooks. The first few days my sit bones were a little sore but that went away.

I tried tipping the nose down just a bit from the perfect horizontal because I had read somewhere how women's saddle noses should tip down a bit from the horizontal, but I immediately felt like I was sliding forward way too much all the time. Sliding forward so my girly bits were on the hard saddle nose, and my weight thrown onto my hands. Horrible feeling! Tipped it back so the seat is perfectly level. Problem instantly gone, no more sliding forward, girly parts happy again. Love my B17S.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^