Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Red face Going to have an affair! Please advise..

To disable ads, please log-in.

Please help, before this wild heart of mine leads me to impetus once again...

I do know that I am in love with cross bikes, and MUST own one soon. Very soon.
    After killing my Mtn bike, I found out I have been missing out. I have had a touring bike, 2 mtn bikes and a 10 speed forever ago.

I am all over the place, off and on road, love to go fast...(somehow quite a few years ago I won locally in GA games 3 silvers for short track speed skating) and really have an itch to tour Florida someday. I go fast only when it is stable feeling though. Forget sketchy.

Considering the Specialized Tricross comp. Any feedback? Other suggestions?
    Budget around $1600. I hear great things about this bike, open to others, looking for some feedback.

Cheers,
    Pixiepowered
    There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to manifest the glory within us. - Nelson Mandela

Make sure you give the Tri-Cross a good long test ride. I have a 2006 model and the only thing that occasionally bugs me about it is that the steering is somewhat loose. It's possible that they've modified that in the 2007 models, but definitely pay attention to how it feels.

Other than that, I absolutely love my Tri-Cross. I dunno if it's the fastest 'cross bike out there, but it does everything I was hoping it would, and it looks really cool

(Quite impressive that you medaled in short track! I got hooked on watching that during the last winter Olympics. Awesome action!)
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

A twist in the path

Hi Kali! (computer was ill, apologies- so long to reply)

That is a sweet bike you have! I went and tried one out today.
    It was a fun, quick, responsive ride, and a real beauty too boot. Great wheels, loved the Rovals.

The only thing is that I am between sizes,and for me it was just not comfortable. The bike weighed in at 22.5 lbs. I read a post once that said you can like all the namebrands /components all day long, but bikes are like jeans, each brand will fit different, and at the end of the day you always reach for the one you are most comfortable with.

I was on my third lap when I realized- I have only owned steel bikes. (not intentionally planned/bought that way- but there it is none the less)

After researching I tried the 07 Jamis Nova, and just loved it. It felt like silk to me, and it comes in my odd ball size of 51. ( 5.4 and have a 31.5 inseam gets challenging) The Nova also has the same weight as the Tricross. Not bad for steel.

I think it will soon be mine! With the extra money maybe I can find some Rovals....

(I love watching shortrack also, it fun fun fun!!)
    There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to manifest the glory within us. - Nelson Mandela

I've looked at a few Jamis 'cross bikes since buying my bike and they are definitely nice looking. If/when I decide it's time to trade in the Tri-Cross, a Jamis will definitely be on my list to test-ride.

Enjoy your new baby!
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Jamis are nice bikes. When I rode a Jamis Aurora, "silk" was what I thought, too!

The Aurora was a contender for my new bike, but then I got a Waterford cyclocross. (right here on TE)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have a Cannondale Cyclocross Optimo 3 and love it. It works well for me, 5-10 with a 34" inseam. I also tried the Felt cross bike, but the Cannondale was more efficient at transforming my energy into forward motion. A lot of bikes I liked were not options because of the geometry (Kona's Jake the Snake, Surly's Cross Check and Soma's Double Cross were all out).
    I thought I wanted a steel bike because of the ride but the BSG did point out that when I started racing, I'd want the alu bike. And I have to admit the ride's been fine, and carrying the bike has been a cinch.

Boom Boom

(for Knotted) Yesss sssiiillllk!!
    Ok, if Jamis was silk and it was your SECOND choice, then what you ridin' now girl, a caddy?? Those Waterfords look really cool. Never heard of them until your post. Did you post a pic of yours? They are so pretty.

Cyclo Kitty ~ Great name by the way. I agree, if competing then whole different specs are needed. That is awesome you compete. I swore I would never compete... I swore that about speed skating also, and now I have a pair of 5wheel long blades for short track I only used briefly for my short career. (but worth it for the memories) Toys toys toys! If you have any pics of you competing or any race day with female track,(if it is separate from the mens) would you mind showing it?

Kali ~ Thanks on the congrats for the baby. Believe me, I am looking 4 months prego over here..lol and will be soooo glad to be riding again. If only I can get use to the bent over position...

Still training

So no pix yet. The BSGs kept saying, "Throw leg over" but I wasn't ready last fall and I don't know that I will be this fall. I have more falling to do-- and while the women's classes are small, maybe 10 riders for some races, I could still wreak havoc going down.

Well, I don't fall that much-but I have a lot of learning to do. Even in training, though, there are advantages to the alu bike over hefting steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiepowered View Post
    (for Knotted) Yesss sssiiillllk!!
    Ok, if Jamis was silk and it was your SECOND choice, then what you ridin' now girl, a caddy?? Those Waterfords look really cool. Never heard of them until your post. Did you post a pic of yours? They are so pretty.
    This is Flosshilde:

21.5 lbs of gorgeous old-gold painted lugged steel. With a Brooks B67 saddle and Salsa Short-n-Shallow bars, Campy Athena and some Shimano. She's 10 years old and lovely to behold. Almost every time I stop somewhere I end up with someone commenting on my bike. That's her in my avatar, too.

Edit: I've changed out her cyclocross double for a compact double and put on a lovely Nitto stem since this pic was taken.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 05-02-2007 at 05:57 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclo Kitty View Post
    have more falling to do-- and while the women's classes are small, maybe 10 riders for some races, I could still wreak havoc going down.
    Where in the NorthEast are you? Cross is becoming very popular here, and you will find that most races at the beginner level have around 20 riders. I started racing 'cross last year and LOVE it - ended up with 14 races, including Nationals. Focusing my training this year on the 'cross season culmiinating with a trip to Kansas for nationals!

SheFly

p.s
    Lighter is DEFINITELY better!
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Providence, home of the Nats (for a while!). Loved the course in RWP, which remained clearly visible for weeks after the race. My mother looked at it (I didn't ride it) and started very strongly suggesting that I take up yoga.

Yes, the women's field is definitely growing, which is positive. There are some very hard-core, very macho-seeming men riding (living for) cross here. They make the skill clinics pretty intimidating. The rumour is that one of the BSGs wants to set up some clinics with the local NEMBA chapter, which could be a different crowd.

I didn't upgrade my ride from the commuter until mid-November so I've got a lot of training to do. Luckily there are good parks here with places to ride a variety of terrains and fields that can be soft enough to practice dismounts etc. The joke is that all of Providence is a cross course every spring and summer, when the DPW tears up the street and sidewalk.

Kansas City should be interesting...I won't go but I'll be paying attention!

Looking forward to your race reports!
    Last edited by Cyclo Kitty; 05-02-2007 at 06:16 PM.