Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by stpbound View Post
    OK. Thanks for this reply. A few more questions:

1. Can I check the fit myself or do I need to take it to a bike shop?
    2. About trying different saddles...did you have to buy and KEEP all 5?? Or were you able to return the ones you didn't want? Also, when you found the right one, was it obvious?

Thanks!
    stpbound
    I will let the others here talk to you more about bike fit...there are far more knowledgeable women here than me about it, and you might want to do a search of the forums...a lot has been written about fit.

About the saddles, I have a few that I bought outright and only realized later were not really for me. A couple other times, though, I definitely was able to return them to the store and try another one. Every shop has a different policy on saddles, so just ask them.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Thank you all so much for the GREAT places and ideas to look for larger sized clothing. I'm sorry I know it got off on the initial topic, but us women have a tendency to do that.
    I will be checking out some of your links, because I'm sick of having to buy mens stuff!

The problem with women's cycling gear in plus sizes is that there is absolutely no sanity in the sizing. I've seen manufacturers that consider 12 or 14 to be an XL!

That's what gets you in trouble. Just because it says it's an XL or 1X don't assume that you think you know what that means. Check the sizing guides to be sure!

The other issue is that cycling gear is supposed to be tight. Well, I like my shorts tight, but not my jerseys. I carry my weight in the middle (apple-shaped) which makes it more difficult. A man's jersey may be loose on the shoulders and tight around the middle on me.

I have a Mt. Borah 2X jersey (yellow) that I like a lot. It's loose enough to be comfortable for me but not baggy. I got it here at TE. I also got a sport hill singlet that's soft and very cool in the summer, but had no pockets so isn't always my favorite choice.

When I ordered a Boure jersey once, it seemed like it was made for a thin man -- WAY too tight in the middle and WAY too wide in the shoulders for me, just an impossible fit. But I've ordered their longsleeved UV-protection jersey in a men's XL, hoping it will work.

There's a lot of trial and error; Jenn and I seem to be similar in height and weight but our shapes are very different!

(I'm going to check out that shebeest leopard jersey!)

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Pooks, it won't make you feel any better but there's no sanity to sizes for smaller women either.

so what's up with the bike? going to order one? try some out?
    come on come on!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I test rode my first bike yesterday and am not sure where to post about it.

Decisions, decisions!

How about in your steel road bikes thread?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

It wasn't a steel bike.

It was a Specialized Allez, and I'm not sure whether to start a new thread for each type bike I test, or just a general thread of my adventures in test riding and put them all together!

post here, or start a new post, come on!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Start a new thread: Pooks Test Rides or something like that.

We're all eager to hear about it!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Your wish is my command!

click here for the new thread

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    Fat girl doing the STP? That's me! (Sorry, I'm allergic to "plus-sized". I know that some people are really sensitive to the word "fat", but it's just how I describe myself...because, um, I am fat.)
    I feel the same way! Just didn't want to offend anyone.

stpbound

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    YES YES YES

REI is an awful place to buy a bike. It's not even fun for bike PARTS. they are understaffed and very busy this time of the year.

I love REI don't get me wrong.. but there are all these great LBS's ...
    (Local Bike Shops) there are the three I recommended for starters and MORE..
    any of them will let you take a bike out for an hour or so...

for fit, i really recommend you go to R & E or Gregg's or Samm. They will charge you.
    but it's worth it.
    Hi mimitabby,

I looked at Gregg's website. A basic fit is $150!!!?? What the heck do they do for $150???

stpbound

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    Hi stpbound,
    another plus sized rider chiming in here! I would definitely encourage you to go for a road bike, just based on my own experience. I started out with a hybrid, just because I thought that was my only option; I was over 250 pounds and a beefier bike just sounded like a good idea. Even at that size, I didn't experience too much seat discomfort, though. The discomfort I experienced seemed to lessen with time, so I just assumed you had to "break in" your butt.

When I started losing weight, getting faster, putting in alot more miles, I switched to a road bike--a Raleigh sport. I could not believe the difference! My top (as in giving it everything I had) average speed on the hybrid was something like 13.3 mph, and on the road bike I can do 13.3 mph without really even breaking a sweat. It almost seemed like magic! The more upright position of the hybrid looks like it is more comfortable, but it really isn't if you consider all the factors. The road bike (at least mine) tends to tip your pelvis forward and align your legs in a position to achieve the most efficient, powerful pedal stroke. Lowering the torso to the handlebars reduces wind resistance a great deal, and if your torso is the size of a barn door--like mine-- that is a great deal of resistance! add in the reduction of resistance from skinnier tires and the weight reduction, and you are going much faster with much less effort, which is much more comfortable in the long run. As the others have mentioned, this all begins with a good fit.

I would also caution you not to get shorts that are too roomy. I've lost a lot of weight, so my shorts are getting baggy. I can testify that this is extremely uncomfortable, as the loose fabric bunches and forcibly deposits itself in your most tender crevices. Ouch!
    I've decided to go test ride road bikes on Monday! I want to see what the difference is and if it's worth the money to buy one. This magic you speak of...that definitely appeals to me! Right now, I'm averaging between 11-12 miles per hour (my longest ride has been 37 miles so far). If I could go just a couple more miles per hour, I could reduce my riding time on the STP by a couple of hours! So, I'm gonna give it a try.

Thanks for your input,
    stpbound

stpbound - you picked an awesome ride for your first one! I haven't done it but have heard good things about it.

Yes re the fit and the bike and the clothes. All those things are important. The fit is most important and the bike? Well...I did about two years worth of centuries on a hardtail mountain bike when I first started riding I also rode in performance shorts due to budget and, well, I won't be doing that again.

I went to an excellent bike fit person in the Seattle area (recommended by another TE member) so PM me if you are interested.

Welcome!

I reccomend Erik Moen PT. www.bikept.com

Mimi and Salsa had fits from him. I've emailed him. Wahine took a class from him. He's very highly regarded!