Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

do most of you ride road bikes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do most of you ride road bikes or have another mountain, etc...? I was going to buy a hybrid, but now I don't know.

I have 3 mountain bikes, a road bike and I'm in the market for either a rigid or hardtail mountain tandem.

My first love is dirt, I got the road bike to get faster on dirt but found another aspect of riding I enjoy, the tandem is for me and my son...he's getting too big for the trailer.

It's whatever suits you and can take you to the level you want to go.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

I was a road rider first but am getting into mountain biking, too, so I have both types of bikes. A hybrid is not great in the dirt and a road bike is better on the road. So maybe figure out what kind of riding you want to do. You can get a mountain bike and then get slicks (tires) for the road but if you're going any kind of distance, it will be a harder ride.

my bike

1 town/beach cruiser
    1 road bike
    1 mountian bike

Not much of a quiver, I know. Most of my miles are on the road, but I love the dirt.

sarah

I have two mountainbikes and one road bike, and like singletrackmind my first love is dirt. But...I have found out how sweet it is to ride lightening fast and without a sound but the wind in your ears. In my experience a hybrid is good for around town use, but would make a poor mountainbike.

I have two road bikes. I only ride the roads. I'd like to ride trails but there aren't much around here and I don't have a mtn bike.

i can't say that I've noticed that there are more of one type than the other here. Seems that many do both.
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

I have a commuter/hybrid and a roadie.

I ride them both pretty much equally.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Totally depends where and what type of riding you plan on doing. I have a MTB for riding river trails around where I live (my fun bike) but also a road bike cos I used to do tris. Now ride some TT's and road events. Usually have one or two road rides a week (Sunday group ride and midweek hills ride)

We are about to move to Ireland and rather unsure of what to take/buy. Think I will leave my roadie here for trips back (plan on about 3 of a months duration each year) and decide when we get there. Have been in touch with some cycling clubs, but they seem pretty heavy on racing. A hybrid would be handy for commuting, but Dublin traffic is mental and the MTB scene there is pretty small but hardcore and a lot of the trails in the Wicklows south of Dublin have been closed due to walkers protesting. Sorry to digress!

My first love is my road bike. I have a hybrid that I use as a commuter (short commute), and I had her first. I have a mt. bike. And I have a 1973 Schwinn who lives at work to do errands around town.

I think the advice to decide what you want to do is the best advice. In my experience those who start with hybrids usually quickly move to road bikes.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Hybrid for gravel trails and sandy/salty winter streets, but mostly use my road bike. I prefer the road bike position so I'm thinking of trying to find a used cyclocross to replace the hybrid. I started back on the hybrid and loved it; now, I find it uncomfortable. But that's me.

You have to read yourself. Is the hybrid more comfortable for you? Some people are self-conscious on a road bike, but more comfortable when they start riding on the slower hybrid. If you haven't ridden for years, the hybrid usually feels more stable.

And where you're riding--trails or road? Nice roads, or roads that should have been repaired 20 years ago?

Either is a great choice. Try them both.

Just puttin' in a gratuitous ad for my hybrid. (which I also used in a triathlon and was in the top 1/4 for the bike leg, thankyouverymuch) (we just won't talk about my standings in the swim and run... )

http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/DEW/index.html
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 04-14-2007 at 09:38 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

My hybrid is great for tooling around town and running errands or for riding/lumbering slowly in the rain, but my road bike makes me feel powerful, fast and even a little graceful. I love them both and wouldn't want to do without either

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I just have one bike, my road bike.

(surely I can't be the only one who has just one bike??)
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 04-15-2007 at 02:10 AM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a road bike that I am in love with. I've had her almost 2 whole months now! When I started looking at bikes, it was suggested to me that a hybrid would be easier to learn on and better for a starter bike. But I'm really glad I just went with a road bike instead. We have lots of hills here and I can't imagine trying to ride up them on a hybrid. Plus going down all these hills on a road bike is really fun...I'm starting to enjoy all that speed! Should I ever want to ride off road, I'll get a mountain bike too.

I started on a road bike. I almost went for a hybrid... but with wanting to compete in tri's, I decided a road bike was what I needed to start with.

Glad I did! I would have never been able to keep up on club rides, or really competed in tri's on a hybrid.

I also have a tri bike. It's like a road bike, but with a different setup for the handlebars. Good for races, not good for club riding.

It all comes down to what you want to do on your bike. You have to analzye your needs and pick a bike for your needs. Good luck.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"