Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

what do you eat for breakfast and lunch?

To disable ads, please log-in.

What do you usually eat for breakfast and lunch? Do you commute with a brown bag lunch, do you eat out in restaurants often, do you eat fast food, what is your fav fast food? Do you eat breakfast on the run, drink your breakfast, energy or breakfast bars, or a big old healthy breakfast?

I'm a huge creature of habit. This is basically it, every day:

Breakfast at 7: A glass of orange juice, 3 seal oil capsules, 2 calcium tablets. A huge cup of coffee. Two slices of wholegrain bread with something like sliced banana.

Once I get to work at 9, two wholegrain crackers, cup of green tea.

Lunch at 11: a large bowl of salad relying heavily on chick peas and beans.

2nd lunch at 2.30 : 2 double wholegrain sandwiches from home with something uncomplicated on. Cup of green tea.

That's usually enough for me to ride home on, then dinner around 6.

I used to eat a lot more bread even, but now I really crave that salad if I don't get it.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Wow, a lot of questions!

Packing: I eat breakfast at work practically every day. And because there are virtually no gluten-free food choices at any restaurants within walking distance, I pack my lunch every day, too. Depending on my evening schedule, sometimes I even have to pack dinner. It can get complicated.

Breakfast: Cottage cheese and banana
    or, gluten-free bagel with jelly

Snack: Piece of fruit or rice bar (about 100 calories here)

Lunch: This week it's meatloaf, sweet potato and green beans

Snack: Handful of nuts and raisins or another piece of fruit

Dinner: Varies. Typically is a chicken breast with rice or potato and broccoli

Fast food: Virtually no fast food is gluten-free. I struggled the most with this because I was a fast food junkie. Now that I haven't had it in a long time, I don't crave it anymore. And making a burger and potatoes myself tastes SOOOOOO much better (except I can't have a regular bun). Now if I get fast food, it's usually a treat like Wendy's Frosty.

Breakfasts: I wait to eat at work because I'm lazy or because I've gone swimming that morning before work. On the weekends, I make a nice, hot breakfast like GF pancakes or eggs. Sometimes frozen GF waffles.
    Last edited by Offthegrid; 04-13-2007 at 08:30 AM.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

Another habit-formed creature...

Breakfast -- yogurt sprinkled with raw oatmeal mixed with walnuts, ground flax seed and raisens. On the weekends, the breakfast becomes a mixed-grain and rice porridge.

Mid-morning snack -- a breakfast bar (e.g., Luna, Lara, Alpsnack, etc.).

Lunch -- soup. I try to make a big pot of something on the weekend and then eat it for lunch during the week.

Breakfast varies:

1.Whole wheat toast with butter, coffee, orange juice and a piece of fruit.
    2. Oatmeal, lots of fruit on top, orange juice, coffee.
    3. Whole wheat toast, one egg sandwich, oj, coffee.

Snack: fruit banana or something like that around 10:00 in morning at work.

Lunch:

1. Turkey, swiss, tomato sandwich on whole wheat.
    2. Soup and grilled cheese sandwich
    3. Soup with whole wheat bread
    4. Pita wrap with grilled chicken, romaine lettuce, tomato, etc.
    5. Salad with veges - with or without some kind of turkey/chicken. small piece of bread
    6. Burrito (Bean cheese rice or chicken bean cheese rice)

I'm doing the whole plan my dad has me on, and have lost 7 lbs in the the last week.
    Meal 1 1/2 cup oatmeal,4 egg whites one whole
    Meal 2 Protein shake
    Meal3 1/2 cup brown rice, 6oz chicken, beef or fish, 2 cups veggies
    Meal 4 Protein Shake
    Meal 5 4oz chicken, fish or beef, 3 cups veggies
    Meal 6 Protein shake or brownie out of it

I eat every 2.5 to 3 hours but it's just for 30 days until they start adding fruit in. So far I like it, but I'm craving sweets BAD!!! But, seeing the weight coming off and my clothes getting looser is paying off.

Breakfast:
    fried egg sandwich
    (1 egg + 1 egg white, whole wheat english muffin)
    nonfat cappuccino

Snack:
    banana or nutrigrain bar

Lunch:
    Yoplain No Fat Yogurt w/ 1/4 cup grape nuts
    String Cheese
    1 cup pretzels

Well, I try to vary things, but I'll give you today for an example:

Breakfast (the measurements are of the dry ingredients, obviously they "puff up" when cooked, so I get a very big bowl of hot cereal out of this):
    1/4 c. cream of rice
    1/4 c. buckwheat
    (like I said, I vary this, so sometimes it's quinoa and sometimes it's amaranth . . . just depends)
    1 pear, diced
    cinnamon
    (I nuke the pear with cinnamon for about a minute while the cereal is cooking on the stove - sometimes I use frozen berries (no cinnamon) or use an apple instead of the pear)
    1/4 c. nutritional yeast flakes
    2 T flax seed (I use this for a couple weeks and then take a week or so off)
    Sometimes (like this morning) I will also mix in about 1/2 to 1 c. organic plain yogurt or kefir (with live, active cultures)
    Once or twice a week I'll mix in a whole omega-3 egg as well (I just stir it in and it cooks within the cereal).

Lunch:
    I always bring my lunch. Today's probably sounds pretty gross as it's a hodge-podge of what I have left in the cupboard (time to go grocery shopping):

1 large sweet potato
    1 medium sized avocado
    1 can cannelli beans

Also, unsweetened cranberry juice self-sweetened with a few drops of Stevia.

We rarely eat out. I usually take one weekend per month a cook, cook, cook - soups, stews, etc., etc. and fill the freezer. Then I have stuff to bring with me to work every day and have stuff that just needs to be heated when I get home. I hate coming home hungry and not being able to eat within the 1/2 hour.

Last night, for dinner I sauteed a white onion in olive oil. Then I added curry powder (or sometimes I'll do ground ginger and ground cumin), and diced chicken. Stirred that around a bit and when the chicken was about done I threw in some spinach and cooked brown rice pasta.

I really like fish: salmon, halibut, etc. Some of my favorite recipes are beef & barley stew and morroccan chicken soup. Oh, I also recently learned to make porcini mushroom risotto - yummy! A real stick-to-your ribs kind of thing. It's very good paired with roasted chicken breast with just a bit of salt and pepper to taste, and a green salad with balsamic vinegar. Roasted fingerling potatoes are fun too. Cube the potatoes, coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic - spread out on a pan and bake at 425 for about 30 minutes. Yummy.

I have some different food allergies, sensitivities which make eating out kind of a pain.

As for supplements, I take calcium, vit. d, zinc, and fish oil pills. On rides, I mix one Emergen-C packet in my water.

For breakfast during the week, I usually eat a tub of yogurt or a banana. I During the weekend, it depends on what I'm doing, but it's usually one or several of the following: high fiber cereal with low fat milk, yogurt, whole wheat waffles with lite syrup, whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and jelly, banana, kiwis, strawberries, orange, etc. I am not a natural breakfast eater. Anything before 9 a.m. makes me feel kind of sick.

For lunch, it really varies during the work week because I usually eat out. I often have a salad with a mix of veggies and beans and a little cheese. Or I might have turkey or tuna salad on whole wheat, pasta with a red sauce and veggies (I eat this when I feel sort of spent after long weekend rides) or a black bean burrito. If I bring a brown bag, it's usuall PB&J on whole wheat, yogurt and a piece of fruit.

I also often eat a piece of fruit or have some yogurt mid-afternoon.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Breakfast: 2 pieces Sprouted whole wheat (or whole grain anyway) toast with butter and honey or jam.
    small cup of blueberry, cherry, grape, or pomegranite 100% juice.
    1/2 can of sardines, or equivalent amount of herring, salmon; oily fish.

on weekends i vary this with 2 eggs instead of the fish or oatmeal + fruit and nuts and lots of water.

lunch; leftovers from dinner; usually meat, starch & greens.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Breakfast (about 4-5 times a week, at Ralph's Pretty Good Cafe, usually at the start of my bike rides....):
    Double shot espresso latte
    2 scrambled eggs
    1 freshly baked croissant
    OR...
    Double shot espresso latte
    Challah French toast
    Bacon

The other 2 or 3 days a week when I have breakfast at home, I just have a bowl of Swiss Familia cereal w/milk.

Lunch?- usually whatever is leftover from what I cooked for yesterday's dinner.

Breakfasts at Ralph's Pretty Good Cafe are a major part of my personal spiritual program for inner serenity and joy.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kitsune06 Guest
    I generally have a generous bowlful of whatever granola looked good in the New Seasons bulk aisle, throw a scoop of spirulina/whey protein powder in and add rice milk liberally. Wash it down w/ emergen-c.

Huge gigantic b'fasts, usually involving eggs and cheese and potatoes and salmon/chicken/steak/tempeh/mushrooms. Often SPAM. A piece of fruit. Coffee. A couple squares of chocolate. Some tortilla chips. Yogurt and honey if I'm still feeling peckish.

Lunch is about half what I eat for b'fast, and usually just whatever I can find to toss in a bag and take to work. I like V8 in the pop-sized cans, cuz I can chug one in a hurry. It's not too easy for me to get time to eat some days.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

breakfast becomes habit, but changes periodically. Years ago I'd make fabulous banana bread loaded with so many yummy things, and just eat 2 slices once I'd ridden my bike to work and settled in. That ended when I crashed on the way to work, broke my shoulder and was told not to eat until I had surgery.....12 hours later I find out I won't have surgery until the next day.....

I don't leave the house without eating breakfast now. That was a LONG wait for food!

Currently, what with the crazy diet restrictions, I have a small serving of rice krispies (actually store brand), which, the way I read it anyway, was healthier than special k, with a sliced banana and a handful of one or two types of berries and goats milk. blueberries are my favourite. plus a cup of tea - I'm trying to have a different tea each morning to reduce the repetitiveness - there are theories that eating the same thing over and over is not so good for you.....I've got to start small, though, so just working on changing up the tea....

And then there are all the pills: 7 prescription tablets in the morning (3 different meds), omega 3, glucosamine, ginseng, ester C, evening primrose oil

morning snack- between 9:30 and 11:00 am....depending on how I feel - a boiled egg and a banana, or rice cakes with fruit goat cheese, a small serving of leftovers....

lunch is leftovers from last night, or that I froze a long time ago. usually a "mix up" with chicken, fish or occasionally beef - sometimes more of a stir fry, sometimes in a white sauce of cheese sauce made with goats milk and rice flour, always with a generous portion of a variety of colours of veggies, often with a rice pasta or potatoes. I'm looking forward to being able to tolerate raw veggies again so I can snack on them during the day, and so I can have salads again!!

I do keep lots of snacks at my desk, too - unsweetened applesauce, dark chocolate sweetened with beet sugar, lara bars, etc - I try to make sure a few bars last all week.

On weekends I make waffles with rice flour, sweetened with maple sugar, covered in fruit. yummy

I usually am not well prepared for lunch on the weekends...just scrap something together. not the best way to eat!

So, I stopped eating fast food many years ago. It all hurt. Even subway sandwiches. I've always loved my home grilled burgers better anyway - even with store-bought cheap pattys...

Now that I have a Crohn's diagnosis, and a laundry list of food sensitivities that makes so much sense!

We eat out seldom - almost never for lunch, but there is a specialty cafe a couple of blocks away that caters to gluten free, vegan, food allergies, etc, so I'm looking forward to my next lunch date trying that out! Favourite dinner is Thai, and the better of the local restaurants is really good. Apparently I'm sensitive to coconut, but I'm probably going to bend that rule the next time I have a chance to eat thai! mmmmmmm

Darn, now I'm getting hungry!

wonder what's in the kitchen....

Hugs & butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

i'm gettting HUNGREEEEEEEEEEEE

Ok so my breakie is:
    a bowl of fresh fruit
    and either Fiber one (1/4 cup, yes measured) plus milk
    or a piece of whole grain toast plus a tsp peanut butter
    and either a strip of chicken bacon or a poached egg (espcially if i have a full morning)

If i am on the run, i will pack veggies, plain yogurt, nuts, some form of protein, either a tuna "snack" tin, or some cubed tofu with sauce, or...and a piece of toast or whole grain crackers (serving size 20 g of carbs)

lunch is typically salad with whatever i feel like eating - shrimp with salsa, plain yogurt and brown rice (1/4 cup) is a favorite of mine.

Dinner a favorite is chicken curry lots of veggies and millet (1/4 cup)

If i am doing a long ride, i will pack bananas and granola bars.

Smile
    Han
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog