Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Shorts question (with an obvious answer, probably)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. I ordered some shorts from TE (PI Ultrasensors) and Terry T Shorts. This is sort of a big deal for me- I've lost some weight, and the only shorts I own are from a plus size company, and they're not really real bike shorts (yeah, they have chamois, but they're just too baggy to be effective). So I thought it was time to try some "real" bike shorts. The Terry Shorts were too big, so I put them back in the box to return and will get them in a smaller size. I THOUGHT the PI shorts fit, so I cut off the tags and went for a ride, and it soon became obvious that they're too freakin' long. They go almost to the crease of my knee! I just didn't notice before I cut the tags off.

So I can't return them But is it a crazy idea to roll them up once and wear them like that? They don't look weird, and the chamois feels good.

I guess if nothing else I learned that I can't wear bike shorts with an 8.75 inseam.

I don't know about return policies.

But are you sure they're too long?- or is it just that you're not used to a longer short? Is the end of the short rubbing in some way that's irritating? I have shorts of various lengths, and on a colder day the longer ones can be really nice.

I'm fairly certain you can't return TE clothes once you've cut off the tags.

I think they're too long by any standards- the elastic at the bottom is around the back of my knee when I'm on the bike- feels like that could get pretty irritating unless I roll them up.

I agree with anakiwa - if they are not actually irritating in some way, don't worry about it! It's good to have more than one style of short, and if they feel good in other ways they are probably good to keep.

Hugs & Butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

If all you need to do to make them comfy is flip up the leg gripper, then go for it! If the rest of the fit is good and the chamois is nice, then I'd say you lucked out and found a great pair of shorts.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    So I can't return them But is it a crazy idea to roll them up once and wear them like that? They don't look weird, and the chamois feels good.

I guess if nothing else I learned that I can't wear bike shorts with an 8.75 inseam.
    I don't think it's a crazy idea at all. I flip my shorts up when I'm not happy with the length.

Congrats on the weight loss!
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. ~Grandma Moses

Thanks, guys. It's so nice to have a place to ask life's stupid questions, and get smart answers

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    I'm fairly certain you can't return TE clothes once you've cut off the tags.
    Why not just call them up and ask?

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I read that all the "ultra-cool" roadies ALWAYS flip the elastic band up on their shorts! In fact, they do this so much that the shorts makers are now putting their logo names on the INSIDE of the elastic grippers, so they'll show when flipped up!
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    I read that all the "ultra-cool" roadies ALWAYS flip the elastic band up on their shorts! In fact, they do this so much that the shorts makers are now putting their logo names on the INSIDE of the elastic grippers, so they'll show when flipped up!
    I've seen that too. Now i know why.

Almost all my shorts are ... not shorts. PI knickers keep my knees warm. But elastic can be a drag whether placement or you just ... don't ... like ... it.

My Terry knickers have no elastic, just slit at side of the calf, PI's do I think (runs off to check) and I like the chamois mo' better.

Elastic on the calf does not bug me.

If you like the chamois why not keep 'em, roll it up and be an ultra cool roadie?
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Why not just call them up and ask?
    Checking the returns policy on the site is easier.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/shipping.asp#returns

Yeah, I checked the returns policy before I posted my original whine. Possible if I begged they'd take them back, but I didn't really want to go that route.

Here's another suggestion... have you tried pulling up the legs of the shorts an inch or so? When I started doing long distances, my shorts shifted around a bit and would start to chafe. My solution was to pull the short's legs up a little bit, which helped the shorts stay put.

~Cari