Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Steel Road Bikes

I love the Rivendells because of the lugging and the styling and the colors, etc., etc., etc. I can't afford one, and am not able to go to CA to get fitted even if I could afford it, so I'm not even thinking about buying one as I hunt for a new road bike.

But.

But.

But.

This is such a pretty bike:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...es/aurora.html

So what do you know about Jamis?

How do they compare to aluminum/carbon combos?

The store that carries these is the farthest from me, and primarily carries bikes way out of my price range so I'm trying to decide whether to even bop over there to check out the Jamis, or whether to stick to the Bianchi, Cannondale, etc.

Opinions, please?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Jamis makes some nice bikes. It's worth looking at them. Remember FIT, FIT, FIT!
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

And on the aluminum/carbon vs steel. You need to go ride each to determine which you bike you like. Depending on the tubing, you can get very different rides even in the same material.

Just go ride a bunch of bikes in your price range.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I had a Jamis Quest I purchased off of ebay. I loved that bike. I really like the look and feel of steel. That bike convinced me that I wanted steel from now on. Unfortunately it was too small! Who knew? At 5'4" you would think 50cm was a fit, but it wasn't, so listen to SadieKate when she says fit fit fit! Jamis also gives you a lot of bang for your buck, but I have noticed that they don't re-sell as well as Bianchi or other well known steel bikes. (I just sold the Jamis frame on ebay, and have been watching how they sell for awhile). Anyway, they are certainly worth taking the drive to look at them, and they have WSD ones now too! I also heard somewhere that they have a woman CEO...
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I'm prepared to ride, ride, ride in order to find the fit, fit, fit.

Actually, I was prepared to do that the first time, except that the hubster was so determined to buy chainless. And of course, the chainless wasn't the prob -- the fit was!

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I think that Jamis you linked to is one GORGEOUS bike.
    Giving up the lugs for welded steel is where you will save big bucks. Notice they have full brazons already installed for mounting fenders AND racks, and come with 700x28mm tires! You can go on gravel dirt roads with those tires, plus load it for touring!

The steel frame tends to be more comfortable to ride than aluminum frames, which tend to be a bit lighter but a stiffer ride. Steel is great for riding many hours or long distances. Carbon and titanium are great and light, but more expensive. Carbon can be much less repairable after a crack up.

I think that is a great value for the money, and a real beauty of a bike. Worth a few long drives to order the right size frame to begin with, and then have it fitted specifically to you at the dealer's. That's where you'll have to insst that they make sure the bike fits you just right even BEFORE they order the frame. Fit from start to finish.
    I love that copper/ivory color combo! Ooh BABY!!!
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Smile yay steel!

I have a Lemond Sarthe (not WSD) and I love love love it.

It fits me perfectly, but perhaps most importantly, it's a beautiful shade of orange.
    http://2006.lemondbikes.com/2005_bik..._classic.shtml

Steel is wonderful, I think, both aesthetically and for the smooth ride. The Lemond was more pricey than the Jamis (about $1600), but they used to have a Croix De Fer model (in both mens and WSD) with the same frame but 105 components for cheaper, you might still see it in shops with older stock.

My new cross/touring bike is also steel: a Gunnar. It's not as classic looking as a Rivendell (or Waterford, Gunnar's parent company, for that matter), but it's still beautiful, and hand made in the USA. Since it's still a production bike, it's cheaper than a full custom Rivendell, too. As a plus, since they're made by Waterford, for an extra $125 you can pick your dream paintjob from a big catalog!