Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Steel Road Bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I love the Rivendells because of the lugging and the styling and the colors, etc., etc., etc. I can't afford one, and am not able to go to CA to get fitted even if I could afford it, so I'm not even thinking about buying one as I hunt for a new road bike.

But.

But.

But.

This is such a pretty bike:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...es/aurora.html

So what do you know about Jamis?

How do they compare to aluminum/carbon combos?

The store that carries these is the farthest from me, and primarily carries bikes way out of my price range so I'm trying to decide whether to even bop over there to check out the Jamis, or whether to stick to the Bianchi, Cannondale, etc.

Opinions, please?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Jamis makes some nice bikes. It's worth looking at them. Remember FIT, FIT, FIT!
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

And on the aluminum/carbon vs steel. You need to go ride each to determine which you bike you like. Depending on the tubing, you can get very different rides even in the same material.

Just go ride a bunch of bikes in your price range.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I had a Jamis Quest I purchased off of ebay. I loved that bike. I really like the look and feel of steel. That bike convinced me that I wanted steel from now on. Unfortunately it was too small! Who knew? At 5'4" you would think 50cm was a fit, but it wasn't, so listen to SadieKate when she says fit fit fit! Jamis also gives you a lot of bang for your buck, but I have noticed that they don't re-sell as well as Bianchi or other well known steel bikes. (I just sold the Jamis frame on ebay, and have been watching how they sell for awhile). Anyway, they are certainly worth taking the drive to look at them, and they have WSD ones now too! I also heard somewhere that they have a woman CEO...
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I'm prepared to ride, ride, ride in order to find the fit, fit, fit.

Actually, I was prepared to do that the first time, except that the hubster was so determined to buy chainless. And of course, the chainless wasn't the prob -- the fit was!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I think that Jamis you linked to is one GORGEOUS bike.
    Giving up the lugs for welded steel is where you will save big bucks. Notice they have full brazons already installed for mounting fenders AND racks, and come with 700x28mm tires! You can go on gravel dirt roads with those tires, plus load it for touring!

The steel frame tends to be more comfortable to ride than aluminum frames, which tend to be a bit lighter but a stiffer ride. Steel is great for riding many hours or long distances. Carbon and titanium are great and light, but more expensive. Carbon can be much less repairable after a crack up.

I think that is a great value for the money, and a real beauty of a bike. Worth a few long drives to order the right size frame to begin with, and then have it fitted specifically to you at the dealer's. That's where you'll have to insst that they make sure the bike fits you just right even BEFORE they order the frame. Fit from start to finish.
    I love that copper/ivory color combo! Ooh BABY!!!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jamis is a great bike. Where's Knot? She can talk a blue streak about them.

And I'm not so sure aluminum is that much lighter; because you have to use more aluminum to make the same strength as steel.

As they say; steel is real.

ps I like the red one WAY better, but I know you like yellow
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I think I'm in love with that bike. Can I have an affair?
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

Both bikes are pretty. The Ventura has better components but it's a double as compared to a triple on the Aurora. Between the triple and the 11/32 cassette the Aurora has a huge gear range.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Oh, I love the look of this one more than the yellow.

I just am not sure about the choice between steel and aluminum/carbon. But if I went on appearance, this Aurora would win, no contest!

This is a step up in price from the Aurora, but I just don't think it's as pretty:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/quest.html

And no, I won't make a choice purely on pretty, but, you know, that Aurora sure is pretty.

So, what makes the Quest more expensive? Anything important?

yes, we like that one too

do you have a Jamis dealer nearby?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Yep. That's how I found the Jamis. I was looking at the LBSs in the Dallas area and found one I'd never heard of before that carried Jamis, which I also had never heard of before.

They also carry other bikes I've never heard of, like Merlin, Intense, and Titus. They're also the only place I saw that carried Kona, and Kona has some of the prettiest colors.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Both bikes are pretty. The Ventura has better components but it's a double as compared to a triple on the Aurora. Between the triple and the 11/32 cassette the Aurora has a huge gear range.
    Right. If you live in a very flat area and plan to do all your riding there, you could do the double. But if you ever plan on long rides with hills, or any touring and riding in other places with hills, you'll be way better off with a triple.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^