Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Since you intend to keep your current bike for utilitarian rides, keep in mind the intended use for the new bike. Are fender and rack mounts a necessity?
    (snip)
    You might want to bring a notebook with you so you can record you impressions of each (before you forget them), noting the specs of each.
    You know, I'm not so sure about keeping my current bike if I get the Jamis Aurora. I think I'd consider the Aurora a very-upgraded variation of the current, and not want two. Meaning, it would be easy to use the Aurora for errands and such, and now that somebody has actually confirmed that my current bike just flat doesn't fit, I've become more and more aware of that when I ride and I don't even think I'll want to ride it any more once I get one that feels good.

As for my saddle -- a guy at one of the "major" bike shops tried to talk me out of it when he saw it (and knew that I could send it back if I wanted). But the guy who did my $20 fit at the little local shop couldn't imagine ANYBODY not knowing that "support" is better than "plush," and loved my Brooks. I'm pretty sure it was the owner of that shop who saw me at the post office once and complimented my bike, "especially that saddle," and the young kid who worked there told me he'd even use a Brooks on his mountain bike if he could afford it.

Clipless? I haven't ventured that far yet.

I am hesitant to admit how much I love the idea of the Aurora. She's pretty, she's practical, and by replacing my current bike without spending a fortune, it means I can possibly spend a lot more money next time when I get my next bike....

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Update:

I called the shop to see if they stock the Aurora and they don't. The guy said the closest thing they'd have for me to test is the Quest, and said the geometry is the same but it would feel a little different because it's lighter weight. He asked my height, then told me I'd need a 53". You can tell that by height? Hmmm.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by pooks View Post
    Update:

I called the shop to see if they stock the Aurora and they don't. The guy said the closest thing they'd have for me to test is the Quest, and said the geometry is the same but it would feel a little different because it's lighter weight. He asked my height, then told me I'd need a 53". You can tell that by height? Hmmm.
    No they're not.
    I'm looking at the specs from their website and the Aurura has a much longer wheelbase, longer chainstays, and more relaxed headtube and seattube angles (for a 53 cm frame). The standover height on the Aurora is 31.4" vs. roughly 31" even for the Quest. The Quest will give you a quicker ride, as evidenced by its placement in their lineup. The Aurora is their touring bike and it's geometry reflects that.

He can give you a ballpark estimate, but you really need to swing a leg over to try it out.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Well, there are a lot of bike shops in the Dallas/Fort Worth area so I'm sure I can find another Jamis dealer, now that I know to look for one. The guy told me that the Aurora was his first road bike and he thought it was a great.

(Then stock them, I wanted to say, but of course he probably isn't the boss.)

Sigh. None of the LBSs stock the Aurora.

Oh well, that will force me to test ride lots of bikes (and drive farther if I really want to try the Aurora).

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Well, there are a lot of bike shops in the Dallas/Fort Worth area so I'm sure I can find another Jamis dealer, now that I know to look for one. The guy told me that the Aurora was his first road bike and he thought it was a great.

(Then stock them, I wanted to say, but of course he probably isn't the boss.)
    Umm...if they don't stock the exact Jamis you want, can't they order it for you if you first figure out your frame size on another Jamis that they DO have in stock? They are Jamis dealers, aren't they?? I don't get it.
    And no, you can't tell the frame size you need by your height alone over the phone. Ask to speak to the principle fitter there.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They can order it. What's customary in a case like this? Do they order them before you actually say you're going to buy it, or do you have to commit?

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    They can order it. What's customary in a case like this? Do they order them before you actually say you're going to buy it, or do you have to commit?
    Ask the shop.
    I had a shop offer to order me a Giant I was interested in once - no commitment. He figured, if I was interested in it, so would others and he could sell it if I didn't want it. It's not like you're ordering a custom frame.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Okay, obviously I just need to get out and start riding. Woo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    But if they sniff it, get out of there FAST!
    Um ... I saw this several times before I realized you didn't write, "...sniff AT it."

Is there a kinky thread around here I missed?

::whistling::

Oh, but this raises another question -- should I take my Brooks saddle with me when I go test ride?
    I would.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Pooks-
    I think you should call the Jamis people directly, explain your situation, and ask them for their suggestions about how you can test ride an Aurora and figure out your proper size frame in person. They may surprise you and make some cool arrangements, or have some info unknown to you about where to try them. I would think they would want to do everything possible to get you test riding their Aurora, as opposed to bike shops which (naturally) want to sell the stock they already have on the floor. Make the phone call- it can only help!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I second what Lisa said! Great idea!!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I had thought about that, and am glad y'all think it's a good idea.

In fairness to the guy I spoke to yesterday, I've never been in his shop and he has no idea how serious I am. If I go in and test ride and repeat that I really want to test the Aurora, he might make the offer to order one for me to test on the assumption that it will sell.

Or he might not.

I think I should begin my test-ride process!

Next week.

After I finish my taxes.

Grrrr.

I keep replying to myself, but man, it chaps me that the WSD model of the Quest isn't the pretty copper color:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...es/questw.html

In general, I'm rarely fond of the colors used on WSD bikes. I'm not into pastels.

Fingers crossed that I don't need one.