Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What is a good 650c tire to get for my road bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a Trek 1500 WSD and I've been thinking about replacing the tires that are currently on it. Right now I have Bontrager Race Lites (650 X 25). They still have some life in them, but have small gouges in them, so I thought I might do better with something newer and lighter.

It is hard to find 650 tires and it looks like my only option is to switch to 650 x 23. I am not racing - I will mostly be doing medium to long distance rides (50 to 100 miles). What would be a good tire to go with? The two I am considering are the Hutchinson Fusion Air Light and the Michelin Pro Race 2. They are both "racing" tires, but I seriously have not seen any long distance tires in 650. I need tires that will last long for long distance rides and that will feel light, but sturdy on the road. I also don't want to spend more than $35 a tire.

Any suggestions?

have you tried Rivendell's website? I'm not up to speed on the various sizes of tires, only on the kind my bikes take. But I know Rivendell has a lot of touring tires and 650s.

www.rivbike.com

I think LisaSH has 650s, you might ask her what she uses?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I looked at their site and didn't see much. They have some 650B tires, but I didn't see 650C. Thanks though.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/

use the tire finder down the page
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Thanks. I looked at that site, too.

Let me clarify - its not that I can't find tires - I was wondering which tires were decent. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with 650c tires that they like a lot? I want to get a good, solid pair and was just looking for recommendations. Thanks!

I have 650 Kenda Kaliente's on my winter bike and they've been very good performers. I don't think I had any flats with them even though the roads were pretty bad and they are still good light tires.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    have you tried Rivendell's website?

I think LisaSH has 650s, you might ask her what she uses?
    No, we have 700 x 28mm tires on our Rivendells.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I ride a Terry Isis that has 650's. My Isis is a 2005 and it came with Panaracer Stradius Sport tires and I like them well enough. I don't race, but I ride club rides and long distance (centuries) and they've been fine. I went to look them up to check price, but it appears they don't make them in 650's anymore. The only Panaracer in a 650 is the Stadius Extreme which I'm guessing is pricey.

Terry now sells the Isis with a Schwalbe Stelvio tire and I've heard really good things about this tire. I'll probably switch to these when mine wear out.

When I got my Serotta I put Michlin Pro Race tires on it. I really like how nice and smooth they ride.

For years I used the Continental GP 3000's, now the Continental 4000's.
    http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...x%204000.shtml

Both tires come in 650c x 23.

Because I liked the Conti GP 3000's so much I'm thinking of trying the Conti 4000's when it's time to replace the Michlin's.

Thumbs up Conti Gp 4000!!!!

I swear by continental Grand Prix 4000's. I started using them before IMAZ last year. Since then I have had ONE flat. And it was a total side wall blow out, so I must have really hit something!
    They can be hard to find, but I love them! And yeah, they are 650 x 23.

I have Michelin Axial Pro 650-23c on my Cannondale. They have held up well. I replaced one after it got a slice, although I rode it for several hundred miles after the flat without any problems.

Update

So I ended up finding some conti gp4000 tires for a good price on ebay. I just tried them yesterday and they are like BUTTA! What great tires! They corner well, are fast, and are soooo smooth. I can't believe I was torturing myself with those Bontragers for so long. I love these tires!

I think I am 2 MPH faster with these things and my bike feels lighter!

Kaian,

Good to hear that you're enjoying the GP 4000's. I'll keep them in mind when it's time to replace my tires. I had a set of GP's (not 3000's or 4000's) and didn't care for them. They felt much heavier than the stock Bontragers.

I have a set of Schwalbe Stelvios on my bike and have been absolutely thrilled with them. To me they feel light & responsive and they haven't required the use of my Road Morph frame pump while on a ride. (I type that last phrase with much trepidation -- I really hope I haven't jinxed myself.)

Just in case someone else comes looking, it sounds like TE folks have had good experiences with the following 650C tires (in no particular order):

Continental Grand Prix 3000
    Continental Grand Prix 4000
    Kenda Kaliente
    Michelin Axial Pro
    Michelin Pro Race
    Panaracer Stradius Sport
    Schwalbe Stelvio

-- Melissa

When I had 650's I rode Gator Skins. Texas roads are just horrible for debris, I just hate changing a flat on a country road with no shoulder, big ol' trucks driving by and a drop off to a ditch. In a year of riding Gator Skins I only had one flat on the road and it was because I hit a HUGE rock dead on.

NOw they definitely aren't racing tires, but I loved those things.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I use the schwalbe stelvio on all my bikes and just love them.