Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What kind of shoes do you use?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Starting on the whole clipless adventure, but I know very little about what kind of shoes I want... I know I'd like to get SPD compatible mountain shoes, and I'd *like* the normal-looking ones (not the usual all velcro straps etc shoes) ... and I was wondering what models you ladies use, and their pros and cons...
    Walking SUCKS. I am not a biped, I am a velocipede!!

you do want one with a stiff sole. Some of the shoe lookalikes have a soft sole that will eventually crack where the cleat goes in. I wear a SIDI rampa.

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I believe I have these:

http://bike.shimano.com/Footwear_Ped...number=SH-M034

I use them on my mountain bike. I wouldn't recommend walking on hardwood floors with them, but otherwise I like 'em.

I recently got a bike fit, and the guy said something about how different shoes put the cleats in different places. You want the cleat in a specific spot front to back relative to the ball of your foot, and he said that I was lucky in that this shoe just happens to be one of the few that accomodates the spot I need the cleat to be. If that makes sense. Anyway, apparently there's more to choosing a shoe than just finding one that's comfy, but I guess I lucked out.

Almost everyone says that stiff soles are what you want for clipless pedals.
    monique

yeahhh

those are the ones I was eyeing, too!
    Walking SUCKS. I am not a biped, I am a velocipede!!

My main shoes are Diadora Chili's, but I've also got a pair of Specialized Sonoma. The Diadora's are velco, but the Sonoma's look like a regular pair of shoes.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...xbgqztw.j27007

i wanted more street looking shoes.. but hubby and the bike guy talked me out of it..

i have specialized (cuz they match my bike!)

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...q2ls5dj.j27006

i wanted these:

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...q2ls5dj.j27006

but hubby said i'd be sorry eventually as i started riding longer.. said i needed the stiff sole of road bike shoes..

i'm happy with my choice so far... they are comfortable!

I've got Sidi Dominators. Not normal looking, but I've got skinny feet and I like the strap that you can ratchet tight.

Steph

I bought my shoes for mountain biking, but now also use them for road biking. They are Cannondales, I think the 900 model, but not sure of that. They look like trail running shoes, and have good nobbies in the soles for traction when I have to hike up hills. They're great for mountain biking. However, I never noticed how heavy they are until I started road biking.

Another Sidi Dominator user here, the women's model.

I love dorky-looking bike shoes

There is definitely something to be said for mountain biking shoes that give you the traction to hike up difficult sections. My husband recently switched from the type with the "scale" looking hard plastic bottoms to ones with rubber knobbies, and he sang the praises when we were on a killer ride where we had to walk large chunks.
    monique

Does anyone know of a good road shoe for wide feet? I tried on a pair of Sidi's (cannot remember the name but they were woman specific) and they were much too narrow. My LBS said the only wides they carried came in sizes too large to fit me (I wear a 7 1/2 womens).

Originally posted by NYCrider
    Does anyone know of a good road shoe for wide feet? I tried on a pair of Sidi's (cannot remember the name but they were woman specific) and they were much too narrow. My LBS said the only wides they carried came in sizes too large to fit me (I wear a 7 1/2 womens).
    Have your tried a pair of regular (not the "mega") men's Sidis? The men's regular should work out to be ~ a women's wide. Before Sidi came out with their women's last I rode in a men's 38(I think)...I'm about a 7 1/2 street shoe size too.

I had assumed the width would be the same... great to know that is not true. I will check them out this weekend. Thanks!

shoes...

I LOVE my Sidi Dominators - they're road bike shoes AND they're so comfy! Walking is awkward but I bought 'em to ride in! If your're going for a more walkable shoe look at the Shimano touring shoes lots of people in my club love them.

Sidi Dominators and Sidi Genius (I use Look pedals for the road). I love these, love these, love these!

If you ride more than just around town, you'll notice how nice it is to have stiff soles. I also like shoes with a good upper structure. Before I got my Doms I didn't realize that a looser, more flexible upper shoe was a bad thing (though very comfy). The Doms made a difference when I was mountainbiking. Now, my bike and I are one, Grasshopper! At least when she's not snickering at me lying on the side of the trail.