Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My first pairs TT

To disable ads, please log-in.

A Time Trial Association has started doing events in my state this year and I have done a 20km one (first to leave, last back - I think it's called getting value for your money ) I missed the next couple of events (weather and one was a hill climb) but decided to have a crack at a 30km pairs event. Took along a good (old) friend who is a wizz at such things and learnt a lot from him about riding as a pair. Unfortunately the wind was a pain and slowed us down, as did the hills which I am useless at and hate (even with compact chain rings - yes I know I need to practice!) We did it in 68mins and I got a new top speed of 58kmp (sorry don't know it in mph) and was rather pleased. It's very low key and lots of fun. Easter eggs handed out afterwards too. But the winner got a 'golden bunny'

Oh yeah, our pair's combined age was 112 years That's my excuse!
    Next month I hope to do the 20km again and see if I can improve my time, though unless I do some velodrome work it may not happen!

OK... how does a "pairs TT" work?

Is it like a team time trial but only with two of you?

I think we call them "two-up" here...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Two cyclists and the time is taken when the second rider crosses the line.

If you are smart you take short turns at the front, either the front rider drifts out and the second rides up the inside (the change over can be verbal or an elbow out to indicate 'your turn') Second rider rides as close as they can to the front bike to draft and conserve energy for their turn. We swapped every 400m or so. When we hit a cross wind we rode '3/4 wheel' I was tucked in partly behind him.

This is a good theory, but gets stuffed up on hills, or when one rider can't match the pace of the other. We kind of agreed on the speed we hoped to maintain beforehand and adjusted as we went.

Some events have 3/4 team members. These pacelines require more skill and practice - bit like you see on the track at Olympics and other team pursuit events. Usually with a paceline someone is always swapping places. It's fun but you do need to concentrate. I have only practiced it, but good for the bike skills.

Some people rode side by side, but it kinds of defeats the purpose.

Hope that helps

Yup... thats what we call a 2-up TT.

Our club hasn't had one of those, but every series (4 per year based on each season) we have started having one 5-up TT.

Personally I luuuurve individual TTs. They are my main focus when I train.

Hey, 68mins on a hilly course for your first TT of any type is a great time. Well done, glad you are feeling proud of your effort - it is so much fun (well, a bit of pain too ).

Good luck on next months 'pairs'. Will you have the same partner and same course?

And of course I am also wondering if this 'TTA' organises any individual TTs...?

oh... btw... at our race on Saturday we got chocky eggs too, as well as the usual bickies and a cuppa...

I don't see a lot of advantage to a 2up TT. You don't get much time to rest. It's sort of like an ITT with moral support . Sounds fun though despite the winds.

Yeah... maybe... I guess if you are well-matched over whatever the terrain is then it may be you can do a slightly faster time than you might post on your own.

It would be fun to have a go at it though.

The association is ATTA - Australian Time Trial Association. Events vary from state to state, depending on the available venues. The next one is an ITT - the last one was the only pairs one. I did the first ITT and it's back on the same course, so will be interesting to compare - though I haven't done a lot of work since - been running more. One of the others is a hillclimb - 7km climb so it gives you a good idea of how you go over different terrains. Run training is currently to do a race called the Great Train Race. We have a cute little old steam train (tourist now) that runs in the ferny hills outside of Melbourne and the idea is to try and beat the train over 13.2kms - it is loaded with spectators. If it's wet it slips on the rails more so more chance of beating it. There are two trains and in my best race I just missed beating the second one by 2 mins - took me 75mins. Doubt I will beat that time now, but hey, it's fun, scenic and hilly. You can catch the train back to the start, just means all your muscles seize up on the way!! Sorry to 'drift the thread'

HTML Code:
    Hey, 68mins on a hilly course for your first TT of any type is a great time. Well done, glad you are feeling proud of your effort - it is so much fun (well, a bit of pain too  ).
    Thanks Roadraven! Yeah the indiviual winner did it in 44mins Some hotshot!! Average seemed to be around 57.

The advantage of pairs is if you work together well, you both get a rest, and it's up to you how much time you spend at the front (or in my case, are ABLE to!!) And yes, it distracts you from the pain!!

Thanks for the details... I'll watch this thread for more details on the ITT when you do it.

I wish we had a TT association here, but li'l ole NZ is just toooooo li'l I guess! Our local club seems to get in one ITT per series, although over summer there are Thursday evening ones. I only managed to get to one this last summer, so am looking forward to next summer with something akin to lust

That 57km average of the individual winner seemed a bit high to me - Tour de France riders hit 50+ speeds in ITT prologues and yours was a hilly course. So I hope you don't mind... I did a calculation and I get an average of 40.91kph for a 30km course in 44 minutes.

Rough (I have a precise one in an xcel spreadsheet) calculation is:

DISTANCE divided by TIME multiplied by 60 = AVERAGE SPEED

And remember, time trials, particularly individual time trials, are one of the toughest races out there. This is because there is only you. There is no hiding in a bunch, there are no group tactics - you have to do your share (even in a pairs/team TT). The mental attitude is huge. Some people simply will not do TTs and yet they will try almost every other type of bike race. No wonder it is called the Race of Truth.

Now, you will improve relatively quickly and at first your 26 1/2 kph average may climb to about 29kph over just a few races. Getting an over 30kph average is a milestone but be prepared that from then on, your improvements may not be as significant. Instead of a whole km improvement or a 2 minute improvement, you may be thrilled to be half a km faster, or half a minute quicker.

To go from a 32km average to a 40 km average like that quick guy in your race takes TWICE the power output from you. Its alot of effort for just fractions of numbers. But it is fantastic fun.

Welcome to the addiction
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 04-10-2007 at 09:57 AM.

Sorry Roadraven, I wasn't very clear, I meant the average time taken for the riders in the the field was about 57 mins

The winners results were

Phil Smith 0:44:54 40.09 +04:29 1place - so yes his average was 40.09. Not bad considering the course.

Yeah if my time is to improve I need to hit the local velodrome and do some sprint sets. I didn't really train at all for this, but it's just fun to participate!