Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Some of us just really need a saddle with a cutout. Even if I get a saddle that supports my sitbones perfectly, I still get uncomfortable pressure on the soft tissues, so a saddle with a groove or cutout is the only option for me (I now have a very firm saddle with a cutout and I never have any numbness or pain anymore). If you really love the look of your Brooks, but are finding it to be uncomfortable - didn't Mimi mention a saddle her husband has that has a similar look, but is available with a cutout.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I think it was Selle An-Atomica.

The guy modelled a Brooks and modified it so it had a cut-out, and makes them in 3 different sizes (you'll still want to know your sit-bone width) and a gazillion different leathers.

I think TE sells it.

Yeah, here it is on TE http://www.teamestrogen.com/brands.asp?brandID=121
    He's even got the leather handlebar tape to match his saddles like Brooks! Cool!
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 05-14-2007 at 07:23 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I guess I would be one of these people who really need a cut out. The Avator Specialized was very comfortable I got it in 155 width and my sitbones were supported and I didnt get any chaffing of numb spots as with my previous Jett. By the way if you are interested these saddles are on sales on Specialized.com for a bargain price of $40 (couldn't go wrong). Now I am thinking if I really get to like that saddle maybe I should have bought 2 of them since they already changed 2007 model.
    Last edited by FreshNewbie; 05-14-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Kitsune06 Guest
    I'm wondering if it's my saddle placement or what now... in the more upright mtb position, the Brooks was great. Even on the hoods, the Brooks is great. But once I get down in the drops, it rubs my bits (further back, labiawise, not up-front hoodwise).... well maybe not 'rubbing' so much as just pressure, which I know would turn into rubbing if I went more than a few miles. So... anyone have any experience that way, as far as tipping the saddle up/down? I started with it a ways back, but am slowly scooching it forward. Ahh the adventures inherent in making a new bike fit perfectly...

Kitsune, how did you position your saddle ?
    When I first got my Team pro S saddle I put it completely level, meaning that the nose was pointing up. That wasn't bad but gave me some pressure issues. Then I started leveling the nose part and the last time I had it almost completely level. I wasn't sliding on the saddle anymore since the slipperness became less of a problem. I am really not sure why I was getting chaffing in the front since the nose part wasn't really putting any pressure on me. So far I took my Team Pro S off the bike and I put Specialized Avator which didn't give me any problem on my 17 miles.
    Maybe try to level the nose a bit more. Also, are you riding with neuteral pelvis? Did you try chamois butter or body glide?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune06 View Post
    I'm wondering if it's my saddle placement or what now... in the more upright mtb position, the Brooks was great.
    I'm running into this, too. I bought a beautiful honey B17 a few months ago when Nashbar had a big percentage style sale. I didn't use it much (maybe a total of fifty miles), but I did do a few rides with it on the mountain bike and didn't experience much if any pain.

But on the beautiful new Volpe, I've gone on three rides and it seems like it *pinches* no matter how I set it. Ow ow ow ow! I think a part of that is that I used the eeevil stock saddle long enough to make those parts sore to begin with, but even so, I'm wondering if this means I'm one of those people who has to have a cut out if using a road bike. I can see the part of the saddle that comes in contact with my sit bones softening and forming a bit, but not the part that contacts softer bits.
    Last edited by RoseC; 05-15-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    I think it was Selle An-Atomica.

The guy modelled a Brooks and modified it so it had a cut-out, and makes them in 3 different sizes (you'll still want to know your sit-bone width) and a gazillion different leathers.

I think TE sells it.

Yeah, here it is on TE http://www.teamestrogen.com/brands.asp?brandID=121
    He's even got the leather handlebar tape to match his saddles like Brooks! Cool!
    Knot, i think there's only 1 size, two strengths.
    I asked him in person about sizes. He said "mostly everyone liked this size, so that's what i make" (I thought, great, where does that leave the 10% who don't fit that size?!!)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Kitsune06 Guest
    It's got the 'nose' level, so the back is at a slight angle. Bodyglide and chamois butter (even just wearing a chamois) helps a LOT, but for the next month I'm only doing a 2 mi commute, so it feels like more work than it's worth. ...then again, if it's going to keep being in the 70s both ways, maybe I'll just wear the shorts!

I wonder a little if my handlebars are a bit low, causing me to lean forward/down more? I try to ride pelvis-neutral as much as I can, using my core to roll it back a bit. Gotta warm up slow; I tell ya, these new road positions are really, really noticeable on the outsides of my thighs/butt! woah! Think nosing the seat down slightly would make a positive difference?

Kit sounds to me like you need to do more core exercises.
    I dont think many brooks users have the nose down, because that just makes you slip.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

No I don't think it would really help, quiet the opposite; since you already have it level it would be pointing down and putting too much weight on your arms (you don't want that). If you look at brooks saddles and other modern saddles, you will notices that brooks' nose is rounded whereas modern saddles mostly have flatter nose form. Maybe that's what bothers you on the bike. Do you find yourself to be able to always stay in one place on brooks or you sort of ride, ride ,ride and than scoop back in the original position? that's what happened to me, I would be riding happily then sort of slide forward and have to push back, obviously that contributed to chaffing I think.
    If you have no chaffing problems like me, I don't think that enormous amounts of butter will help you to eliminate the pressure. I think it's just a matter of figuring out how to position that saddle on your bike. Damn I wish it was much easier, this whole saddle soap opera

Quote Originally Posted by FreshNewbie View Post
    Damn I wish it was much easier, this whole saddle soap opera
    well said!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby View Post
    Kit sounds to me like you need to do more core exercises.
    I dont think many brooks users have the nose down, because that just makes you slip.
    I would agree. It took me months for my core strength to catch up and when it did I found I was riding with less weight on my saddle and hands, and more weight on my feet and legs. When you ride, try to pull your tummy and pelvis inand try to put more of your weight on your feet. Think of it in terms of "walking/running" on your bike while you ride instead of "sitting" on your bike.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kitsune06 Guest
    *groaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnn*

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    If your road bike has an exaggerated racing position (butt way up, handlebars low) then you *might* need a different saddle than a Brooks on it. Riding with hands substancially lower than your seat can put more pressure on the girly parts up front. I don't know how your road bike is that way, do you have any other saddles you have liked in the past besides your Brooks? Can you try them on your new bike?

Lots of people do their daily commute on hybrids, city/touring, or mtn bikes because the racing position is not the most comfortable for basic transportation, especially in traffic. Just a thought.
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kitsune06 Guest
    Now... the Selle An-Atomica- how is that cut-out for the girly bits when one's on a racing-positioned bike?