Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

eee

To disable ads, please log-in.

eek: That elevation

Crazy-will stick with the oh nowhere near comparable Perth hills-Canuck[/SIZE]

I bow down to you California ladies. I didn't know California was so moutainous!

C

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Exactly! The ride on Saturday was roller after roller after roller. I used my granny for two short sections that were longer because the granny was there but I probably could have made it fine without it (a low of 40x28), but change that to a climb up Mt. Tam? Oh no, I love that little ring. Gives me lots of options for changing up my cadence.
    Im still re-living the fact that I actually passed some people on those two short sections and yes I was in my granny.

Trekhawk who wouldn't be without her triple here in Northern California.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

I'm fairly new, compared to the amazing women I bow to here, but there are hills all around us in Boise, and while I don't exactly head for them yet, my immediate response to the IDEA of a bicycle last spring was "better have plenty of granny gearing for the hills" and when we looked at road bikes for me this year, I flat out refused to consider the one that didn't have a triple, even though it rode beautifully! DH frowned a bit cuz it was going to cost more, but he rides with me, and knows -- I'll use all those gears! (so far, I've just played to make sure they work! we haven't been to "my" hill yet with the new bike -- he hasn't been at all yet this year)

Karen in Boise, who wishes the wind would go away!

I have been staying out of this because I think the locals give the best advice. BUT I will say as a triple rider the confidence factor is a biggie. In Texas we have a lot of just nasty steep hills. Nothing like these mountains, but I will find that I am in my smallest gear. Even when I was very strong last year I still needed the granny on occasion, but I haven't met a hill in Texas I couldn't climb. When I shopped for my new bike I just didn't have the confidence for a new shifting system AND a compact double. Some of it is physical, some of it is mental. But my bike makes me happy and that is that.

Aggie_Very Proud FRED with a Triple on Carbon_Ama
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Compatibility questions re: replacing a 53/39 with a compact

Hi Regina,

I am about to inherit 2 great used 2006 bikes (long story with very happy ending, obviously!) in impeccable condition, one of which is a full Dura Ace carbon bike with 53/39 and the other an aluminum bike (w/carbon forks and stays) with Ultegra cassette, Dura Ace triple cranks, D.A. shifters and derailleurs (front is even a "D.A. triple derailleur"). On my old (old) bike I have an FSA Gossamer Mega-Exo 50-34 compact, which I love, love, love. I am in a really hilly area and to get into condition with the 53/39 was super tough. Now that I'm riding well, the 50-34 suits me just fine. I see no shame in triples at all (take care of your knees and enjoy your rides more my dears!!), I just don't want to deal with all the extra clicking around. A compact with a bigger spread in back has worked just fine for me and I enjoy the challenge.

Anyway, I wonder if you or someone else can advise me on this question: I want to replace the D.A. 53/39 on the carbon bike with a compact. Though I have this FSA compact on the old bike that I could use, I've heard that it is better to stick with Shimano when everything else is Shimano (and it is, even wheels and seatpost!), and have heard great things about the Shimano compact (and can even get it with 165mm cranks!). Question: if I get a Shimano compact, would it require just changing out the 53/39 and cranks or do I need to change shifters, derailleurs, or anything else (BB?)? I believe it is all compatible but since I want to do the work myself, I want to be really sure... (yes, my secret dream is to be a wench wrench). I am also not sure what, if anything, needs to happen re: bottom bracket. The 53/39 crankset is Shimano D.A. w/Integrated spindle, with Shimano Exterior Bearing System (and D.A. everything else). Another option would be to move the FSA over to the carbon D.A. bike - cheaper! - but I like the idea of sticking to all Shimano.

Which leads me to the second question...I would like to move the FSA compact from my old bike to the new aluminum-carbon bike with the D.A. triple. Here we go again -- what needs to change in shifters/brakes, etc. in order for everything to work smoothly?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer! I really appreciate it.

- O

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    I had a triple on my bike for 5 years. I recently rebuilt the bike and put a compact (50/34) on it. The bike lost a lot of weight in the process (the rebuild shaved over 2 pounds off the bike - not insignificant when it was already just a 20 pound bike.) and the drivetrain is much less complicated. Although I opted to keep a 12-25 spread in the back, you can play with the cassette to an extent and not lose any of the low-end gearing you would get with a triple.
    Frankly, I'd rather haul a lighter bike with slightly less low-end gearing up a hill, than a heavier bike up a hill with a granny. But that's me. If you are reasonably fit, and the hills are moderate in your area, I think a compact crank should be fine. Have them put a 12-27 on the back, and you'll never miss the gearing over a triple.
    My $0.02.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    [QUOTE=Ogresse;189226]Hi Regina,

Question: if I get a Shimano compact, would it require just changing out the 53/39 and cranks or do I need to change shifters, derailleurs, or anything else (BB?)? I believe it is all compatible but since I want to do the work myself, I want to be really sure... (yes, my secret dream is to be a wench wrench). I am also not sure what, if anything, needs to happen re: bottom bracket. The 53/39 crankset is Shimano D.A. w/Integrated spindle, with Shimano Exterior Bearing System (and D.A. everything else). Another option would be to move the FSA over to the carbon D.A. bike - cheaper! - but I like the idea of sticking to all Shimano.

Which leads me to the second question...I would like to move the FSA compact from my old bike to the new aluminum-carbon bike with the D.A. triple. Here we go again -- what needs to change in shifters/brakes, etc. in order for everything to work smoothly?
    QUOTE]

Hi there.
    My bike (a '99 Seven Axiom Ti) had full Ultegra 9-spd triple on it.
    I rebuilt it with D.A. everything - EXCEPT the crankset which is an FSA SLK MegaExo compact (50-34). Going from a triple to a double required a new f.d. and shifter to handle it. It is generally required to get a compact-specific f.d. - one that can handle the big jump from 34 (or 36) to 50 teeth.
    Since I also went from a 9-spd to a 10-spd, I got a new r.d. and shifter for the rear. The Shimano compact wasn't out yet when I rebuilt the Seven (October '05) - but was due at any moment. I just didn't want to wait! I have had no problems with compatibility. I did have the LBS put an "anti-chain-suck-thang" - or whatever they're called - on the downtube. No problems with chain suck, although if I'm not careful, I can throw the chain off the outter ring onto the crankarms with shift-ups. That's a user error and I need to watch where I am on the cassette when I make my shift.
    Since I went to a MegaExo crankset, the BB came with it, so it was not an option to replace the Shimano BB (which was dead, anyway, and needed to be replaced).
    So...in summary: I have a mix of FSA and Shimano parts and I've had no compatibility issues. Everything on the bike works fine. It's the rider who has the difficulty!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Ogresse View Post
    Anyway, I wonder if you or someone else can advise me on this question: I want to replace the D.A. 53/39 on the carbon bike with a compact.
    All I can say is I have a 53/39 on my TT bike and it is great. I can climb hills on it, I can wind up into a big gear on the flat.

On my road race bike I have a 50/34 compact... I climb hills more quickly on that because I spin and not grind so much (I'm a slow climber still). My only issue with it is trying to find the right gear when I am in the middle at the front and back...

They are both fab gearing. The compact would not be a good TT set-up for me, but it is ideal for road racing.

Dunno if that helps any, but thats my experience.

Ogresse, go to the manufacturers' websites and download all the tech support manuals for each and every component. This is the surest way to determine compatibility between bottom brackets, cranksets and front derailleurs.

A mechanic friend of mine told me just last week that he thinks both Shimano and Campy chainrings shift more cleanly, but since you own the FSA you may want to stick with it, especially if it is compatible with your current bottom bracket.

I don't know specifics, but you may want to do a little research on front derailleurs for compacts. Both the smaller curve of the chain ring and the larger jump are a challenge for many double front derailleurs so you may want to do some careful research.

Basically the best info is the manufacturers' websites that give the technical nitty-gritty.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogresse View Post
    I've heard that it is better to stick with Shimano when everything else is Shimano (and it is, even wheels and seatpost!),
    What? This is bogus marketing @#$%.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

yep

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    What? This is bogus marketing @#$%.
    I have just never seen a bike with every single part Shimano...but what do I know? I guess I am easily impressed.