Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'd only tried the mint-chocolate pria bars, and they had an artificial aftertaste to me. Thanks for the flavor heads-up. They *are* made by Powerbar, for whatever that's worth. Luna is a Clifbar invention.
    monique

They all havew a weird aftertaste to me...

now I see Snickers is making an energy bar?
    Are they any good? Has anyone of you folks tried one?

Sounds like Snickers is just trying to jump on the bandwagon- heck, I even see that Sunny D is making a kid's energy drink...

Kimba
    wondering how come we had so much energy as kids- I don't remember taking power bars and energy drinks when I was out on long rides on my bike with my friends....
    Whe you come to the end of all you know-
    and you are about to step off into the darkness
    faith is knowing one of two things will happen-
    there will be something solid to stand on-
    or you will be taught to fly...

The Luna bars are a little less dense and less caloric than the Cliff Bars. Some of them are quite good, I'm into the Sesame Raisin ones now, no chocolate or yogurt layer to melt while in your pocket.
    I've also found that a before ride snack of something like a little peanut butter spread on half a whole wheat wrap with a banana keeps me from getting hungry for a long time. I usually save the Luna bar for after, as I've also read that one needs food for recovery.

snickers marathon = OK, nothing to write home about.

Cliffbars, black cherry almond, yum!!

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I gotta give a big thumbs-up for the Snicker's Marathon bar. I just got back from a two-week hike through the Grand Canyon, and these really helped me when I started to bonk. They don't melt like a real Snickers, and they taste a bit better than most PowerBars. The 'Multi-grain' flavor doesn't do much for me, but the 'Chewy Chocolate Peanut' was pretty good. Granted - after hiking for 10 or 12 miles in the desert with 40 pounds on your back, anything tastes good!

mmmmm, Clif's Black Cherry Almond.... now you have me thinking about it! i have one waiting for me at home. i'm "addicted" to Clif/Lunas. I don't generally eat them unless i'm on a long (45+ mile) ride, but since i ran out of bananas (my normal mid-afternoon pick-me-up) i've been mange-ing on lunas at work not the best idea, given the calories in one of those, but it makes me feel "healthy" even though i'm eating chocolate.

back to the actual topic at hand, though:
    after work and before riding i have a quick snack (either a banana, toast w/ pb, pb&j crackers, etc). during the week my rides are under 40, so i don't eat during the ride (and just drink water... i can't stand energy drinks!). after riding sometimes i snack on some pretzles before showering, then eat dinner right after my shower (last night it was scrambled eggs w/ spinach and asparagus and a piece of toast- protein and carbs! yay!). i try to drink a liter or two of H2O too.

on weekends the rides are longer, so i bring along a clif or two (i can't handle powerbars) and lots of water... sometimes a banana. my mom made this awesome trailmix last ride we did together... mom, what was in that?? (it was really good! i think there were sunflower seeds, cashews, dried bananas, M&Ms, almonds, walnuts, dried cherries/cranberries, dried blueberries....) mixed nuts are always a good bet too.

i used to eat a luna during or after every 20 mile ride, which i discovered i really didn't need! sometimes i still carry one on short rides, "just in case," especially if i've had a huge appetite recently.

food is far and away my favorite subject... i can be a bit long-winded, sorry!

I usually ride right after work, no time to go home and snack so I keep stuff at work and if I'm riding I'll have 1/2 bagel w/pb an hour before I get off work as a pre-ride snack. Or a power bar depending on what kind of time I have. Weekends the same, but add a banana.

I'm partial to both powerbars and snickers marathon bars - they both work well for me.

After experimenting with several different types of sport drinks, I find that diluting Accelorade works best for me. My stomach can't take Gatorade or other sport drinks while riding and Accelorade is the only thing that I've found that doesn't give me cramps or that queezy feeling. It's a little pricey, but what isn't in this sport?

Since I live on gravel in the country, I don't ride from home and I keep my bike in a friend's house (I have my own garage door opener) it's hard for me to eat something immediately after riding so I use Endurox as a recovery drink. If it's been a short ride 20 mi or so, I'll dilute it to 1/2 strength and eat a banana as soon as I get home.

If I'm riding 30+ miles, I'll bring a banana, sports bar and $$ in case of stopping at a convenience store for a snack.
    The only limits that you have in life are the ones you impose on yourself. ~author unknown~

I found that I had to experiment with different foods to see what works for longer rides (live 6-100 miles).

I like the cliff bars cause they have potasium too, and I like the texture and taste. Power bars are ok, but more chewy and harder to peel out of the wrapping if they have been hot. I also have been trying some dry fruit. I have found that a couple of bites every 30 minutes helps. I will eat more if I start to get tired. If I eat regularly on the ride, I am not STARVED when I get done, but really want a hamburger. and that beer.

I mix gatorade in my camelback, but usually mix it fairly weak-no where nearly as strong as the directions say. If I am out of powder I will get a bottle and pour it in, then fill with water. I found that if it is hot and I am working, plain water will make me sick after a bit.

Saw this link today on the OLN site re: sports drinks:

http://ww2.olntv.com/tdf04/

I just learned an important lesson. I usually don't bring anything to eat, and just a water bottle. I had a light lunch and headed out around 6:00 - and bonked about 6 miles and two big hills from home. No money, no power bars, nothing. So, an emergency Snickers Marathon or the oft-suggested Payday is going to have a permanent home in my bag.
    Also, a quarter. Some kids in the neighborhood were selling lemonade, and I didn't have a single cent.

yay! food! My favorite topic too!

Hey Caligurl,

BTW, you are awesome for getting out there and figuring things out for yourself early in your cycling career...way to go!

I tend to not eat much on the bike if I am just training 1-2 hours on the road. I bring just water usually with me. If I am going out on an epic ride lasting 4 or more hours, I will take a flask of Hammer Gel with me (and I have one or two swigs and that's it) and maybe a Clif Bar just in case (I rarely eat them though...oats are hard on me, but they're the only wheat-free bar that doesn't melt or freeze for me LOL).

I really don't get hungry as much any more. I try to eat a good breakfast with carbs, a tiny bit of good fat, and some protein and same with lunch if I ride at night.

Racing is another story. I try to come to the event well hydrated and nourished from the previous night and I eat a few of my homemade energy balls (almond butter, small amt. date syrup, coconut, puffed amaranth, sesame and flax seeds...my nutritionist designed them for me) before the race. I usually only race on water...if it's hot out, I might bring one of my bottles as a sport drink like Gatorade or diluted Hammer Gel. I have found that because I don't eat lots of sugars or sweets on a regular basis that they are VERY effective for me come race day.

After hard training or racing, I like to replace my fuel stores with something with carbs, protein, lots of water in it like fruit and veggies (my holistic doc said watermelon is one of Nature's best recovery foods), and salt (Celtic Seasalt by the Grain and Salt Society is the only salt out there in my opinion with the correct mineral balance and it helps me immensely to replace lost salt...you can add a pinch to your sports drinks too). But, after regular every day training, I just tend to cook dinner right away so I refuel naturally.

Lately, I have been experimenting with some electrolyte drink (Emergen-C) a couple of hours before I ride. It helps reduce cramping for me especially on hot days. I have a tendecy to need a lot of minerals (sometimes stress can burn them up LOL) I also have liked using some water and Rice Protein (it's only 60 calories, lowfat, and 12g of protein...made by Nutribiotic...it doesn't taste like a smoothie, but it's a supplement more). The Rice Protein seems to stabilize my blood sugar...some days I might eat a piece of fruit with it or in it as well.

I enjoyed reading everyone's posts here...very informative! Wow, we all are a bunch of cool ladies, huh?

Happy Eatin',

Lisa

One thing I want to add:

Everybody has slightly different needs. I personally have found that being hungry while riding is never a good thing. If I let myself get hungry, I will soon bonk hard.

If you need food every hour, EAT! Don't try to ignore your hunger just because you think you shouldn't need to eat yet. You'll end up out of energy and miserable.
    monique