Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

April D.C. TE Ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, folks.
    Shall we try a ride for April?
    I'm itching to head off-road. All my recent attempts have been thwarted for one reason or another.
    Shall we try for a Tax-Day ride?
    Thoughts?
    Let's start a discussion.....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I was just thinking yesterday that it would be fun to do another part of the C&O with Kalidurga leading us, since she knows it so well. I really enjoyed the 25 or so miles we (Nicole, Tam, and I) did last fall. Not sure if she's feeling warm enough just yet (especially not today--yikes! what a cold commute) but maybe if we beg? April 15 sounds good to me.

If that doesn't work out, Regina, I'd be glad go mountain biking, but we might get lost.

I can do trail, but not a mountain bike ride.

On a different note, before my 50 miler in June I'd like to do at least a 40 mile ride. The only 40 mile ride I've done is the Poolesville ride, including the Mt Nebo stretch. Anyone got other routes to suggest?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Trail sounds good for me, too. A jaunt out and back on the C&O from Riley's Lock (or other?)?
    Janice, we can save mtb for an attempt at Fairland, too.

Nicole - check out my "Triathalon Loop" - leaving from Cloverly on routeslip.com. It's marked as a bit over 32 miles from the Safeway on NH Ave., but if you add in to/from your house to that area, you should be able to bump it up to approaching 40. I think that's what we get to/from our place in Colesville. It's rolling hills - like the "French Countryside" loop, but longer. I'd do that ride with you, if you'd like (longer rides can be boring solo!).

If this darned cold snap is gone by then, I'd love to do a group ride on the C&O on the 15th. I did 21 miles on the paved W&OD on Tuesday (glorious weather that day, too bad it didn't last!), and as I was crossing over White's Ferry on the way home I decided I just had to get in a few miles on the C&O, too. So I stopped and did about 5 miles before the sun set.

Riley's Lock either upstream or down is a nice ride, though it can be crowded. Depending on how much driving you guys want to do, we could start farther upstream.

And speaking of mtb, I want to give that a try this year. Has anyone ever taken one of these classes? --> The Bike Lane: Women's Beginner MTB Clinic
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Riley's Lock either upstream or down is a nice ride, though it can be crowded. Depending on how much driving you guys want to do, we could start farther upstream.
    What are alternative starting points?
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

If y'all are going off-road, I guess I'll have to try to go race at NC State that weekend.

Nicole, some of my teammates like to do the NCVC espresso ride. I can try to get the cues in a few weeks, though the club is so huge maybe you can ask around. We start from FB/Gtown and head out MacArthur to Poolesville. Where it goes out there I'm not sure, I just follow.

Trying to get my friend to tell me some good routes down in Quantico. I hear the roads are good and the traffic is light. Only about 30 min drive for me to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    What are alternative starting points?
    If you guys want to drive a bit farther, we could begin at White's Ferry and head upstream. That could take us across the Monocacy Aquaduct, which is pretty nifty.

If you want to drive significantly farther, we could begin at Point of Rocks and head upstream past Brunswick, which has a cool coffee shop in an old church.

If you want to drive even further than that, we could begin at Brunswick and go upstream past Harper's Ferry, with or without a trip across the river to visit Harper's Ferry.

I figure you guys should choose where we begin on any C&O group rides we do, since you'd all be doing more driving than I would.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

I would vote for starting at either Riley's Lock or White's Ferry.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    If this darned cold snap is gone by then, I'd love to do a group ride on the C&O on the 15th. I did 21 miles on the paved W&OD on Tuesday (glorious weather that day, too bad it didn't last!), and as I was crossing over White's Ferry on the way home I decided I just had to get in a few miles on the C&O, too. So I stopped and did about 5 miles before the sun set.

And speaking of mtb, I want to give that a try this year. Has anyone ever taken one of these classes? --> The Bike Lane: Women's Beginner MTB Clinic
    Since we already did the Riley's Lock north ride, I'd vote for White's Ferry as my first choice (but if that's too much driving I'd be glad to do the Riley's Lock ride again.)

Tam, I'm signed up for the first session of the Beginner MTB Clinic, the one that starts April 18. Want to join me?

OK -- I just heard SNOW is predicted for tonight into Saturday am. It's supposed to accumulate only on grassy areas, but we'll see.
    Sorry I can't join you. My 'cross bikes now has road tires so we can't handle the C&O.
    If yinz get out, ENJOY!!

Velo-b., the ride would be April 15th - enough time for the snow to melt! Do you still have the 'cross tires for the bike to put on and join us?

Okay - looks like April 15th (that's a sunday, right?) from White's Ferry, heading out of town on the C&O until...well, we feel like turning around.
    Off road. 'cross or mtb's recommended, although a sturdy hybrid should be able to handle that section, right?

Sound like a plan? Time?

Kewl. I get to take out my mtb to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post

Okay - looks like April 15th (that's a sunday, right?) from White's Ferry, heading out of town on the C&O until...well, we feel like turning around.
    Off road. 'cross or mtb's recommended, although a sturdy hybrid should be able to handle that section, right?

Sound like a plan? Time?
    I assume it's OK to park at White's Ferry? (Don't want to get lectured again )

Sounds like a plan! Set the time next week when we can see the weather predictions?
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

LOL--Sorry, didn't look at the date. I'm so bummed out about the snow (it's coming down now)! Just when I was making up for the outdoor time I lost in February...
    Unfortunately, the 'cross tires on my bike were crap so we tossed them. I don't have an extra set of wheels for that bike yet, so it's going to be a road machine for now.

I'm making the same assumption, Nicole.
    We had 2 votes for Whites Ferry (3, if you count me - I'm up for just about anything, as long as you point me in the right direction!. 4 if you count Tam's suggestion as a vote), 2 who can do only road (and we'll be doing road rides soon, too!). And the untold silent millions who have voiced no opinion!