Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'll see you ladies at 11a.m.!

Tam (the one with the wonky schedule)
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

It looks like the weather was OK. Please post a ride report.

Catch you next time!

Nicole
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I rode as soon as I got off work at 8, then drove out to the meetup just to find where it was!. I'm definitely gonna have to do this one soon!!! Now Im sitting home with ben gay on my quads!!! Oh pain!!!

In spite of being overcast, the weather was pretty mild. We got spit on by a few drops of rain, then had a short period of sunshine, and just missed more rain when we got back to the cars.

We rode from White's Ferry upstream to Point of Rocks and back, passing the whitewater kayaking chute at Pepco and Monocacy Aquaduct along the way. And we got chased by a Canada goose. Very casual, comfortable pace with lots of chatting and stopping when we felt like it. Just over 26, avg speed around 10mph (Regina, are you going to admit that to Tom?). Certainly not a "hammer" ride.

Definitely missed you, Nicole. And dingster1, we'd love to have you along next time.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Fun ride!
    Nahhhh, I haven't told Tom about the pace. He knows that I feel that there are times when the ride average mph is not the most important part of the ride.
    I'll try to upload a picture or two. Tam, did you have any luck finding the flowers? I haven't looked yet, but don't imagine they'll be too hard to track down with a Google search. They were pretty common there.
    Janice - did you make it to dinner? We did get to Great Sage, but I still have half my dinner in the fridge as leftovers. Dinner was WONDERFUL! Can't wait to go back. Our friends are members of a DC Vegetarian Society, so they got us 10% off the bill (yay!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0282_1.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	3014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0289_1.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	3015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0284_1.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	3016  
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Tam, did you have any luck finding the flowers? I haven't looked yet, but don't imagine they'll be too hard to track down with a Google search. They were pretty common there.
    A quick peek at my Field Guide to the Mid-Atlantic showed me that I was way off-base with the guess that the white flowers are Trillium <--That's one of my photos. I had totally forgotten that I took it a couple years ago.

It looks as if clustered blue ones are Virginia Bluebells, or something related.

I couldn't find anything that looked like the white flowers. Let me know if you do.
    Last edited by Kalidurga; 04-15-2007 at 05:40 PM.

I really missed riding with you yesterday. Here we are in the middle of April and for various reasons I've only logged 45.5 miles. Sigh...
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Arrow

Tam,
    I came to the same result on the blue flowers: Virginia bluebells
    http://www.candocanal.org/articles/bot.html

But I, too am striking out on the white ones.
    Here's the picture. I thought I loaded it earlier, but I guess not.
    Anyone? Any ideas?
    EDIT: Looks like the white ones are "Sleepy****s" (NOT my name!) or "Star of Bethlehem"
    http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H191.htm
    Thoughts?

Oh...and it looks like the turtles (at least most of them...) were Eastern painted turtles - http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/eastern_painted_turtle.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0291_1.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	3021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0283_1.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	3022  
    Last edited by 7rider; 04-15-2007 at 06:30 PM.

EDIT: Looks like the white ones are "Sleepy****s" (NOT my name!) or "Star of Bethlehem"
    http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H191.htm
    Thoughts?
    I dunno, Regina, the pics of Sleepy-d i c k on this page look very different than your photo. In your shot the stem is different, it looks as if there are more buds on the stem above the open blossom, and the flowers are more of a waxy, greenish-white color. This pic of Star of Bethlehem, though, does look more like your photo. If they're the same thing, maybe we saw them at an earlier stage.

Nicole, considering that you're training for a triathlon and logging miles in three different sports, I'm sure your aggregate mileage is well up there. I'd love to get you out there for a relaxing "noodle" ride, though. 'Course, I also have to get my butt in gear for a road ride or two with you

Tam,

Sleepyd-i-c-k and Star of Bethlehem are the same thing: Latin name: Ornithogalum umbellatum. I was looking at the green cast on the back of the petals and the unopened buds as indicators. I think the flowers we saw were not fully open. But I don't have a good shot to show if there were multiple blossoms on one stalk, as the Kay Yatskievych's shot shows on the "Discover Life" site you linked. Drat!

And Nicole....I don't feel badly for you! You still have more total miles logged than I on BikeJournal and you are firmly placed in the top 15 for the 2500 in 2007 race. Your eyes are more important than miles logged. Once you heal up, we'll be out there logging tons o' miles on the road. It's supposed to be sunny and low 60's next weekend. Yay! Have we finally turned the corner??

And Nicole....I don't feel badly for you! You still have more total miles logged than I on BikeJournal and you are firmly placed in the top 15 for the 2500 in 2007 race. Your eyes are more important than miles logged. Once you heal up, we'll be out there logging tons o' miles on the road. It's supposed to be sunny and low 60's next weekend. Yay! Have we finally turned the corner??
    Yeah, but I used to be #11 ! Besides, how am I supposed to stay ahead of you if I don't log those miles?!? And, while my back was turned, Janice has slipped ahead of me. The fall is hard and fast

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Nicole, considering that you're training for a triathlon and logging miles in three different sports, I'm sure your aggregate mileage is well up there. I'd love to get you out there for a relaxing "noodle" ride, though. 'Course, I also have to get my butt in gear for a road ride or two with you
    I was really looking forward to a nice relaxing ride along the canal...

I'm about to lose another riding day: starting this week I'll be swimming at the pool on Thursday mornings instead of spinning in the basement. My swimming needs far more help than my riding.

I'm still thinking about the Bike to Work Day commute and doing a bike commute about once every other week.

The eye is doing fine and I got back on the trainer this morning. Hopefully I can get in a nice long outdoor ride next weekend!
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Slow and steady wins the race, one 14.2 mile commute at a time.

Oh, wait, this isn't a race. Right???

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Slow and steady wins the race, one 14.2 mile commute at a time.

Oh, wait, this isn't a race. Right???
    It is called the "2007 - 2500 Bike Race"! Of course, we're both a good 1200 miles behind the leader.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Oh, I don't qualify for the 2500 mile race, since it's only for folks who haven't ridden over 2500 ever before and I rode 3500 miles last year. So you don't have to worry about where I stand in the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Oh, I don't qualify for the 2500 mile race, since it's only for folks who haven't ridden over 2500 ever before and I rode 3500 miles last year. So you don't have to worry about where I stand in the rankings.
    How are you doing in the Commuting Century?
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er