Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks for suggesting this, Regina! At this point, it looks like we're going to have temps back up around 60 by Friday, 4/13, so hopefully the 15th will be plenty warm.

Nicole: Yup, there's a good sized parking lot at White's Ferry for boaters, bikers (motor- and bi-), picnickers, etc.

Velobambina: Does your bike take 700's? I have an extra set of 'cross tires (just splurged on some new 700x30 knobbies that I'm gonna try out on the 15th). If I had a way of getting them to you, I'd be happy to loan 'em. Depending on what time the ride's planned for, would you want to meet early and swap 'em out before we begin?

Janice: I can't do the April mtb class, but I'm thinking about the one in May if they don't fill up by the time I make up my mind. My store's big annual sale begins that week (if anyone needs jewelry or gift items...), so I wouldn't be able to leave early that Wednesday Definitely let me know what the class is like, though.

So, what time on April 15? And, does anyone need directions to White's Ferry?
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    And, does anyone need directions to White's Ferry?
    Ooooo. I do! I do!

Regina (who can get lost in a paper bag!)
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Oh....and for those of you who are sad because of this late-Spring snow...
    Cheer up. This is "poor man's fertilizer" for your lawn! This kind of stuff is great for your grass and garden.
    http://www.weathernotebook.org/trans...999/04/26.html

Quote Originally Posted by Velobambina View Post
    Unfortunately, the 'cross tires on my bike were crap so we tossed them. I don't have an extra set of wheels for that bike yet, so it's going to be a road machine for now.
    I have some extra pairs of 700c tires, too. I've been searching for the right tires for my hybrid and have not gotten rid of anything.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Oh....and for those of you who are sad because of this late-Spring snow...
    Cheer up. This is "poor man's fertilizer" for your lawn! This kind of stuff is great for your grass and garden.
    http://www.weathernotebook.org/trans...999/04/26.html
    That's good to know. Actually, it was really nifty driving along Clara Barton Parkway and Canal Road on the way to work this morning. The light snow on top of the new leaves and blossoms was really beautiful.

Ok, to get to White's Ferry: First you need to get to Route 28, which you've most likely been on if you've gone to Riley's Lock. Instead of turning off towards Riley's, continue NW on Route 28 for another few miles. You'll cross over a wide bridge (Seneca Creek). Just after that, bear left onto Route 107/White's Ferry Rd. Stay on that aaaaaall the way through Poolesville and out to the Ferry (roughly 11 miles from where you turned off of Route 28). The road ends at the ferry, so there's no chance of missing it. The large dirt parking lot is to the right.

Velobambina, if you're able to join us, you may want to head out to Leesburg and take the ferry across.

The Ferry convenience store doesn't open until May, so either bring all the snacks you need or stop in Poolesville to stock up. The bathrooms at White's Ferry probably also won't be open yet, but there are two porta-johns maintained by the NPS.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

We just drove out there today - my first time to White's Ferry. Went to our kitchen designer's in Barnesville and thought we'd do the snack bar at White's Ferry for lunch. No luck, however, so we headed back to Bassett's in Poolesville, our usual stop in that area.
    Was coooold and wind blown today. Only a few die-hards out on the path. Hopefully, next weekend will be nicer!

Glad you and DH were able to find it, Regina. And it's just as well that you ended up at Bassett's

60% chance of rain on Sunday. Do we want to figure out a rain date?

We certainly have a few more days to watch the weather and make a decision. Let's not jinx it now
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Thanks for the tire offers! It would be pain to change tires---the bike has disc brakes. I'm going to have to invest in extra wheels so I can have to option of riding off road.
    Enjoy the ride. Should be beautiful, especially since the trees are greening up. I've got my fingers crossed that it won't rain over the weekend, especially since we are supposed to get some later today and tonite.

Well, a week and a half ago, MORE had a mtb ride at Schaeffer. The NWS predicted a 50% chance of rain, so I ended up bailing and not going. Of course, it never rained and I missed yet ANOTHER great opportunity to take the mtb out.
    Soooo...
    I'm up for setting a time - perhaps late morning - and keeping an eye on the weather. Early that morning, we can check doppler (and look outside our windows! ) and make the "Go/No-go" call. We could all plan to log onto TE before we leave to see what the consensus is (including setting a rain date, if needed).
    What do you think?
    Also.. Velobambina...my DH"s flatbar road bike has disc brakes. I don't seem to recall them being terribly more-complicated than standard brakes at removing the wheel. And, of course, once you get the wheel off, the tire is no problem. Do let us know if you reconsider. Between the group of us...we should be able to figure it out!

I remember one C&O ride I did during which there were passing showers. I ended up covered in mud from the shoulders down and had to put a towel on the seat of the car to drive home. My real concern is that I never did get the new bike muddy last year, but I guess a this point I've gotta stop thinking of it as the "new" bike, anyway. Guess I'll just throw an extra towel or two in the trunk

So what's late morning? 10a.m.? 11a.m.? If we are gonna ride in the rain, doing it during the warmer part of the day would be good.

Getting muddy is fun.
    Getting soaking wet in 40 degree weather is no fun.
    11 a.m. sounds good to me. I'd have to leave the house around 10-ish in that scenario - plenty of time to veg in front of TE with a big cup o' coffee and ponder whether the National Weather Service will get it right.

At this point, the forecasts are incredibly contradictory.

Here's Accuweather.com: Gaithersburg, MD

Here's the National Weather Service

Neither one sounds great, though. Bah...

Wind gusts to 47mph?!?
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er