Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Popular Trails Slated for Closure at Valley Forge

To disable ads, please log-in.

From IMBA.

Popular Trails Slated for Closure at Valley Forge
    Pennsylvania's Valley Forge National Historic Park is proposing to close all mountain biking trails in its new management plan. Mountain bicyclists have ridden some park trails for nearly 20 years and have one final chance to provide comments on the draft management plan and keep trails open. The deadline for comments is April 6.
    Trails at Valley Forge are a valued community asset and used frequently by the local and regional cycling community. Located in a smaller, less-visited area, many of the trails were developed socially and receive little or no maintenance. Mountain bikers are asking for a new partnership to help create a sustainable trail system that will improve visitor experiences and better protect natural resources.
    Take Action!
    Help keep Valley Forge trails open. Submit comments through an easy-to-use online form. The deadline for input is Friday, April 6.
    Talking Points
    Please continue to allow bicycling on trails used by our community.
    Mountain bicyclists value singletrack experiences in the Valley Forge trail system.
    Shared-use trails are the most efficient use of agency resources and help build a larger community of park supporters.
    Please develop a partnership agreement with local mountain bicyclists to help create a sustainable trail network.
    An improved trail system will increase visitor enjoyment and better preserve natural resources.
    Science has shown the impacts of mountain biking to be similar to hiking and far less than horses or OHVs. Properly designed trails are essential to minimizing impacts from all user groups
    "The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community." -- Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

Where is the form

Where is the easy to use online form?
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

See if this works

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentF...cumentId=17583

There was a link in the text, but it didn't come thru. Or you can PM me with your email and I'll foward the original email IMBA sent out.
    "The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community." -- Ann Strong, Minneapolis Tribune, 1895

Links works

Thank you the link works great. My Uncle property backs up to Vally Forge and I want to make him aware of what is going on.
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

get people to respond

It is so important to respond to these reports. Often certain users think that every thing is ok, only to lose access. I know locally, the rock climbing community thouht all was well to access the park here, only to find out the activity was going to be phased out in years to come.

Mtb gets such a bad rap because of certain types of users, but really we love the trails just as much as anyone else!

PS i did send a note too! even if i am over here!
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

NJ Jess is offline Mtbnj.com TeamBulldog.com

Did it

Thanks, I filled out my beliefs about mountain biking today. Needs to be in by April 6th, 1159 pm. Truely a Good Friday thing! Sign on to stop the closure!

No!!! I wrote in. Hope they don't close the trails near you.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"