Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How to get Bike Lockers?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I commuted in to work today, it was rainy but Dh and I decided we wanted to do it so we did (he rides with me in and then rides home). We have a holiday dinner tonight and it's supposed to thunderstorm later, so this was the only chance we had to ride. It was a good ride, rainy, but OK. Here is my problem though.

My company doesn't have bike lockers. All they have is this....

That is literally it, just one sad bike rack. I don't like to leave my nice bike outside, exposed to the elements, easy to steal, so I bring it in. I have 3 empty cubes next to me, so it really isn't a big deal. Well, not a big deal to me at least.....

Security thinks otherwise. They let me bring it in today (I didn't even bring a lock) but said in the future I'll have to leave it outside. I had it parked outside the women's locker room and asked if I could leave it there while I showered and they said I had to take it to my cube immediately because they didn't want other people to see, starting a trend in people riding in to work and thinking they can bring their bike inside. Nice. They also mentioned they had another person recently who they told the same thing to (could bring it in just this once).

Anway, I really don't like leaving my bike outside knowing how easy it is to steal a bike and being exposed to the elements. Honestly, this is a HUGE deterrant to me for commuting. I guess I'll do it on nice sunny days, but if there is any chance or rain, no way! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach my company about bike lockers? That pathetic rack NEVER has a bike attached, so I'm afraid they will respond that 1) no one commutes to begin with and 2) the rack is sufficient (a security camera CAN pan over it, though I doubt it's ever checked).

Everyone I know who bikes to work here (there aren't many) will sneak their bikes places (hidden in a stail well, left in their car trunk if it's here, left in the cube, etc). Everyone who is serious about cycling hates to use those stupid racks. So, how should I address this???

The other information I should tell you is I work in automotive for a major car maker. Going the environmental route will not work! They want us to drive, not bike to work. although they do support staying in shape, eating healthy, etc. We have a fitness center and locker room, so obviously they understand the benefits of exercise. I just don't know how to convince them of the benefits of a locker verse that rack.

Ugh!

Well, for the rain, could you put a tarp over the rack? You could keep the tarp in your cube (someplace other cyclists could get it, labeled prominently "RETURN TO SALSAMTB!"). If you can get one with re-inforced holes, you can lock it to the rack, too.

You could also bring (sneak) your front tire (if it's quick release) into your cube to deter theft. Back in my day (1987), there was one student who always came to lectures with his front tire.

Maybe organize rides at lunch to show management there's a solid group of bikers at the company? And, er, hide you bike in a stair well with another cyclist, if there's enough room left for safety.

If you make friends with security, they might give you a wink and a nod when you bring your bike in during bad weather. (This is advice I should follow more myself -- attracting more flies with honey and all that.)

I'm currently working with the Y in my community to better address bike commuters' needs. I haven't been involved for long, but I would suggest gathering as much information as you can so that you're not just asking your company to install lockers, but giving them a breakdown of the financial implications. So, poll your coworkers to find out how many of them already commute or would commute by bike if bike lockers were offered. Also find out how much they would pay per month/year to rent a locker. Then, get some quotes from bike locker companies on how much it would cost to buy and install the number of lockers needed. Identify an area on the premises that could accomodate the bicycles.

You might also see if any grant money is available to help defray the costs, for instance from bikebelongs.org or from your local cycling club. If your company is located near other businesses, schools, etc., see if you could pool your resources to build a central bike storage area that all of you can use. I'm not sure how active your local club is, but I know ours has a board member who focuses on commuting. You might talk to them about what has worked elsewhere in your community in terms of encouraging employers to promote commuting. There may be resources out there, financial and otherwise, that will help make the idea more appealing to your employer.

Good luck!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I work in automotive for a major car maker. Going the environmental route will not work!
    I actually would play on the environmental thing...from a PR angle, at least. Given the grumbling about the tougher emissions standards being handed down, they could very well see the logic behind spending a little money on providing lockers for bike commuting and creating the appearance that they care. Huge companies love good PR, especially when they're being looked at in a negative way already. A friend of mine working at an automotive plant in Canada was able to obtain more recycling bins around the facilities using this same angle. It might be worth a try.

Good luck!

I agree.
    If you work for a big company, they are already required to do stuff like car pooling, etc, they get federal dollars for it.
    See if you can find the department that does that, and if THAT doesn't work,
    talk to facilities, start talking to athletic looking supervisors.

here where I work (we make airplanes) we have all sorts of departments that i could start in on.
    but you need to ask. If they have a bike rack, they are already admitting that folks might want to ride a bike to work. it's kind of like the foot in the door.
    good luck. go for it.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    I actually would play on the environmental thing...from a PR angle, at least. Given the grumbling about the tougher emissions standards being handed down, they could very well see the logic behind spending a little money on providing lockers for bike commuting and creating the appearance that they care. Huge companies love good PR, especially when they're being looked at in a negative way already. A friend of mine working at an automotive plant in Canada was able to obtain more recycling bins around the facilities using this same angle. It might be worth a try.

Good luck!
    Good point; I totally agree.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Thanks for all the feedback girls! Dex, thanks for the idea. I actually do like the spin on environmenal thing. I know a few people here who commute, so maybe I'll work with them and see if you can create a proposal of some sort.

You might want to see if there are any tax deduction programs available to businesses that encourage alternative transportation. Currently in California businesses get a write off for funds they spend encouraging their workers to use mass transit and a bill is in the works to extend this to cycling.

I would check with your local advocacy group for guidance:
    http://www.lmb.org/AdvocacyCenter.htm
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

I'm not sure how far you live from work, but if it's not too far then maybe you can get a beater so that if it's left in the rain or gets stolen it's not your good bike. Good deals can be had on Craigslist of Freecycle.org -- as well as garage sales coming up for spring.
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

A 2nd less expensive bike may be the answer. I am in the process of updating my 30 yo 10 speed so I can commute (only 2.5km though) and then park it outside the supermarket on the way home without worrying. (Was worried about the security of my good bike.)

The environmental and wellbeing angles seem logical. Surely there would be a spare secure vacant spot within your building. Do some investigations and present your company with suggestions. If you have done the homework, they may be more likely to assist. Goodluck.

Bike lockers here on Long Island are put up by the DOT and are at many train stations. They began with the Long Island Rail Road. They could not make a go of it so the DOT took them over. In some towns there is a waiting list. Some of the lockers are on LIRR property some on town property. The LIRR now wants them moved off their property. The bike locker I just recently rented is on LIRR property but the DOT is going to move it on to town property.

Are there bike lockers in any towns around you. If so, maybe you can find out who is responsible for them and instead of putting a locker on the company's land, maybe it can be down a block or two. That is where mine will be.

~ JoAnn

The Bicycle Commuter Act was recently introduced - see http://bikeportland.org/2007/03/15/b...ter-of-equity/

For the right now, I'd park outside and be doing my best to findways to make that some kind of embarrassment (a "parked out here until I can find shelter" sign?). But the 'I just toldsomebody else" which to that guy is "justification" that it's okay is really a sign that it's a problem (and of course he never could define the "problem" of parking them inside, right?)

Actually, who am I to talk... I have the same issue. Yesterday I sneaked my Trek in and discreetly parked it ... but my strategy has been to ride the Gazelle, which is designed for rotten weather and its chain and what-have-you are protected, when it's going to be wet. (Yesterday I had a ride after work and the Gazelle has this flat tire problem.)

I have been thinking that I / we don't need lockers - better shelter and parking in a high-traffic place would be enough. A sheltered spot visible from a front desk woudl do the trick, I suppose indoor or out... I'm still thinking about it.

Health insurance cost angle

With all the publicity about companies trying to decrease their health insurance costs, it might be an approach for you to try. Companies are realizing that to spend a few $$ encouraging employees to make healthy lifestyle changes saves even more $$ in health insurance premiums.

Weight loss, exercise, and smoking cessation efforts are high on the list of programs that are being presented. I'd say commuting fits in perfectly! This is an area where everybody wins, it's not a matter of the employee losing compensation or the company paying more. You get healthier and they save money.

If your appeal for resources mentions that you will be enhancing your wellness, you might get further. If you're not on their health plan, point out that examples are needed for people to follow. Good luck!