Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Crazy kid on a bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got this message from my cousin Dina in Switzerland, went something like this:

"Dear all, ... this message is about a young kid, a "crazy" 20-year-old Swiss youngster -name of Simon Senn, who's got it into his head he wants to explore America, from East to West, ON A BICYCLE !!

Simon will be crossing the Atlantic on a cargo boat, leaving from Holland or Belgium - arriving in a harbor somewhere on the East Coast, not far from Philadelphia, two weeks later, i.e. about mid-April. His "project" written in French and projected itinerary are attached herewith, and this link

http://membres.lycos.fr/veloeau

Simon is interested in Art and in Photography: he intends to keep a travel log with his own sketches and drawings and also wants to have an exhibit of his travel photos when he gets back."

I just heard from Simon and he has arrived in Belgium so he is on his way. If I hear more about this young mans progress will let you know. He sounds like a really nice kid, speaks some English. Let's wish him a hearty TE Bon Voyage!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

not that crazy!

He sounds like he is in for a great adventure--but it's not that crazy. Hundreds do it every year.

I am curious about how he is choosing the southern route to avoid the arid areas around the grand canyon. Instead, he will cross through Nevada's "agricultural valleys" to SF!

You know, it's all beautiful, so maybe the Swiss kid will learn to love the desert anyways. Good luck to him on his trip.

Cool Latest report from Simon, in French! I think he says he's having a good time?

Je vais tres bien!
    Ma solitude est delicieuse par la spontaneite et l'independance qu'elle m'amene.
    J'aime me reveiller chaque matin dans un nouveau lieu et vivre au rythme du soleil.
    Cette experience me permet de me rendre compte a quel point j'aime tout mes proches et mon chez moi.
    Et oui, parfois l'essentiel est tellement entre dans le quotidien qu'on oublie d'en parler.

Je vous souhaite une bonne journee a tous et vous envois mes meilleures salutations de la planete Mars (Utah).

Simon
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

A VERY loose translation:

I am very well! My loneliness is delicious by spontaneousness and independence that it brings me. I like to awake each morning in a new place and to live at the rate/rhythm of the sun. This experiment enables me to realize has which point I love all my close relations and my at home. And yes, sometimes essence is so much enters the daily newspaper which one forgets to speak. I wish you a good day has all and you sendings my best greetings of the planet Mars (Utah).

I can dig it.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Thank you!
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Wonderful!
    There is hope for the younger generation after all!

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

I really admire him for having the confidence to do this alone and to be comfortable enough with himself to spend that much time alone. a lot of people aren't.
    I like his impression of Utah, too
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I can't wait to hear what he says about the agricultural valleys of Nevada. Oh my.

When I was driving back and forth over the pass from Tahoe for work, I would see people with stuffed to the gills panniers climbing the summit. I didn't 'get it' then. Now I 'got it'!

if he crosses the USA, he'll be a lot more fluent by the time he gets done.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Do you think he's done by now? The thread is a year old.

Karen