Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cells phones?

cells phones?

To disable ads, please log-in.

my ID thread reminded me that i wanted to ask another question...

where do you keep your cell phone when you ride?

i currently put it in my under the seat bag.. however.. when my CO2 pump gets here.. my cell phone won't fit anymore...

so do you carry it in your back pocket (and if i decided to be uncouth and wear a sports bra.. i won't have one) or do you have something rigged that holds it on your handle bars? (and what exactly did you do to rig it?)

or should i have gotten a bigger bag (*gasp*! they didn't have the matching navy blue specialized any bigger!)

My cell phone is in a case that has a strap on the back, so I just hook it onto one of my water bottle cages.

karen

My phone is usually in my jersey, sometimes in my seat bag. It's pretty hot here in the summer so most of my summer jerseys are of the tank variety or sleeveless. But they must have a pocket for the phone or they don't make the cut.

I have ridden occassionally in a jog bra - usually when I have misjudged the weather on a century and decided on a wool jersey and it's gotten too hot. I don't think it's a faux pas - unless I forget the sunscreen!

Veronica

I put my cell phone in one of the smallest ziplock bags (since I sweat like a faucet) and then into my middle jersey pocket. I won't wear a jersey without at least one pocket since I have to take a bandanna along on every ride just in case I have to blow my nose - riding makes it run!

Just wondering -- is it some sort of roadie faux pas to wear a camelbak?

My camebak carries my water, wallet, cell, a variety of food, hand wipes, two pumps (tire and shock), tire irons, spare tubes, a multitool, a longsleeve shirt ... and has room to spare. Sure, it's a few pounds extra, but better than not having what you need miles away from humanity!
    monique

I'm sure there are some who would say so. But I figure - ride what and how you like. I carry around a bunch of extra stuff usually. But you never know when you'll want it. And I can always use the extra weight as an excuse for being slow!

Veronica

I went on my first group ride last week with a women's group, and decided to wear my Camelbak because that's wear I carry all my stuff, and I feel naked without it. Before I got there, I wondered if I would look geeky, like a mountain biker out of place. To my surprise, every woman was wearing a Camelbak of some sort. Of course, this is Phoenix, and a couple water bottles just won't cut it in this heat. For longer rides, I usually fill my bladder to the rim, and also take a bottle of Gatorade on the bike. I don't have a cell phone, but I carry a portable handheld ham radio, which is a bit larger and heavier. It usually goes in the Camelbak, although when I ride where there's little traffic, I hook it onto the front shoulder strap. That makes it a little easier/quicker to access when my husband calls. However, he knows to give me a couple minutes when the radio is on the back.

yaaay camelbak!

I know of only one other "roadie" on our team that wears a camelbak while road riding (besides me)... *BUT* i was happy to see a TdF rider in the team TT with the tell-tale blue Camelbak tube draped over his shoulder (forgot what team... i think white jerseys?)
    I've noticed that Camelbak makes some very aero models now... perhaps trying to attract more roadies?
    personally, i can't live without mine! i'm actually headed out to buy one with a bigger bladder this afternoon (one liter just isn't enough for long rides )

Fultzie:

We clapped and yelled when we saw that...I think it was a CSC who seemed to have the bladder tucked under his jersey somehow. My son made the point..."Now guys won't think I am a wimp for riding with a camelback!"

karen

No one here really uses camelbaks, because on most rides we are fine with two water bottles and on long rides a stop to buy a powerade or something. That said, I think camelbaks are perfectly fine if its going to be a ride where you need more than 2 waterbottles worth of fluid, and if not, but you're comfortable with that method, who cares what others think? Do what suits you as long as it doesn't impede the efficiency of your riding.

I guess the only reason I asked is that camelbaks allow you such a nice place to put things, and it's much easier to drink from them than from a water bottle. So my mtb mind is having trouble figuring out why anyone would *not* use one.
    monique

I don't use a Camelback on my road bike because I don't like all the weight on my back. I also would rather drink Gatorade than water and I don't want to put Gatorade in my Camelback. (I stink at cleaning things.) I have a saddlebag to carry all the extra stuff (tools, etc.) I need. I have three water bottle holders on my road bike. Two have straight Gatorade - Lemon Lime flavor. And as ausgirl pointed out, on the road you can usually buy more.

I reluctantly started carrying a Camelback when I started mountain biking again, because they aren't usually stores in the middle of a trail and it's worked out fine. They weren't around when I first mountain biked in the late 80s. It's pretty much just a bag and a bladder, little room for extra stuff. That was a deliberate choice on my part to limit how much weight went on my back. I only use it when I'm going to be out more than a couple hours.

Veronica

I've heard awful stories about gatorade and 'baks. It doesn't matter how well you clean them; just don't do it!
    monique

Monique:

Really?? Why not??

karen

Just another comment on the cell phone thing - Something one learns from riding horses:keep what you might really need on your body, in case you get separated from your mount. While it's unlikely to happen with your bike, you never know.