Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

encounter -- big woman in big van

To disable ads, please log-in.

yesterday I was riding on a very rural road -- no lines, narrow, actually goes to one lane at some point and then back to two. anyway, I was riding on side of road and an occassional car would pass ... nothing big. started coming to 4-way intersection/stop signs on 2 sides and continuous traffic on road I was on. started to take lane to turn left when I suddenly heard a booming voice behind me yell 'GET OUT OF THE ROAD". i signaled and kept my lane, gave a wave to voice and proceeded to turn left. voice decided she did not like me in road and tried to pass me on left as I turned left -- thank goodness another car came to stop sign at intersection when she was trying this maneuver! voice stopped when she saw other car ... whether she thought she could hit and run, I don't know, or she simply was impatient and not willing to wait for a bicycle on her road and trying to go around without considering what I was doing, I do not know. as I turned I looked back and saw a VERY LARGE woman in a VERY LARGE van continue up the before mentioned road. all I could think of was I sure hope she doesn't turn around and follow me! I got a little paranoid but it soon passed as I never saw her again ... scarey stuff!
    BAT
    Satisfaction lies in the effort not the attainment. Full effort is full victory.
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

Holy Smokes.Thank goodness luck was with you and she didn't wipe you out. Too bad you couldn't get her license plate and report her.

wow, scary.
    More of the misplaced anger again? she's mad at you because you're out exercising and she's not?
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Wow, I generally thought that female drivers are more accommodating. Sheesh! What are some people's problems?
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Some people are just simply incredibly stupid.
    I had a pickup speed up to pass me on the left last week only to cut RIGHT in front of me to turn into a right side road. I had to put on my brakse to avoid slamming into their side as they crossed in front of me. Totally clueless. But you know, i EXPECTED them to do that when they revved up as they passed me, then I heard them suddenly slow down- I then knew they were dumbas*ses and they might try to take a right in front of me....which they did. I was expecting it though, so I had my reaction time prepared ahead.
    We just have to expect that some people are total lobotomies. Bike defensively.
    Sorry you had to deal with Obnoxious Woman.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We just have to expect that some people are total lobotomies
    Yes, it is quotes like this that simply must be added to my repetoire....a little humor to take the edge off the the uglies of the world

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Yes, it is quotes like this that simply must be added to my repetoire....a little humor to take the edge off the the uglies of the world
    That's a good one. I know this is not nice, but if we could actually let those kinds of people have lombotomies- then that will be one less crazy driver on the road to harm folks. jmho Jennifer

p.s. 2 sunday's ago one of our local bike club members was hit by a car- thank goodness they weren't killed and no brokenbones. But bruised up badly. Had to be lifefighted to a trama ctr in Atlanta. They're home and mending. To cause the trouble- a woman was looking for something in her backseat and hit him GRRRRR!- and the cyclist hit was a lawyer too. I've been quite annoyed with rude drivers of all sorts lately-please excuse my rants.

That is scary. But I agree, the Big Woman was probably in a bad mood because you look great and fit on a bike and she doesn't move her body. It really does put people who don't exercise in a bad mood to see people who are fit.

I bike on rural roads too. My near misses are always with an impatient driver pulling out and around a tractor in the road, takes up the shoulder on my side of the road to pass the tractor, and comes zooming right at me.

Darcy

That's scary Bat. I'm glad you're OK. I agree with everyone here, she was probably PO'd for various reasons and a lot of drivers don't get it. It's all about them and they can't wait one more second to continue along with their all important trip to the BurgerKing drive thru.

I had to play leap frog with a city bus one time. He kept stopping to pick up riders, I would have to pass or stop behind him. He would pull out, pass me, cut me off and stop again and so on. If he would have just stayed behind me before pulling off at one of his stops, I would have been on my way and not in his way. It got me thinking that a lot of drivers might not realize how fast some of us are going. I think that some of them view us as going only slightly faster than a person on foot and that's why they tend to pull out in front of us, cut us off...

Lisa's right. You have to assume that drivers don't have a clue for the most part.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

That's one nice thing about bus drivers in Seattle. They are your friends.
    At least that has been my experience on my bike...
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Cool Bike Defensiviely ... good advice!

I ride a lot of miles in a year time and try to anticipate what cars may do -- sometimes I get it right, sometimes not, and thank goodness I have not become a "statistic" when I get it wrong. One day that may change, but thank goodness it did not happen the other day! Haven't ridden since then -- WEATHER -- but hope to get out without incident soon!
    BAT
    Satisfaction lies in the effort not the attainment. Full effort is full victory.
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

I agree with the rest of the responses, its best to bike with some
    forethought. You can't predict the future of someone's actions, but trying to be prepared for it can sure be useful and protective! Bike safe everyone!