Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Training for Altitude w/o Altitude?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband and I really want to do the Enchanted Circle Century in Red River, NM this fall. The only thing I am scared of it the altitude. I know the climbing up mountains will be tough, but what about the thin air?

Any tips on how to prepare myself starting now? I have heard a lot of Triathletes love my area because the insane humidity is like training at altitude, but I find this very hard to believe.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Starting now? Get in good shape - ride a lot.

Altitude affects everyone differently. If you have any opportunity to go ride at altitude, even for a day or two, it would be great to do that so that you know how you are affected.

When we train sea level-living people to ride the Death Ride (6500 - 8800 feet), we make them (1) ride their butts off and get in shape so they're ready to climb the passes and (2) spend a weekend riding at elevation. Doing this helps them understand how the elevation will affect them. Many folks find their stomach is affected and that they have trouble taking in adequate food and staying hydrated. Thinner air is often drier, so hydration is hugely important. If you have a chance to ride at higher elevation, you find out what works for you in terms of what your stomach can tolerate.

In terms of thinner air and breathing - this is where the training and getting in as good shape as possible comes in. You'll generally go a bit slower, breathe a bit more. People with asthma may need to monitor themselves more closely. But as long as your pacing yourself, you're not going to be gasping for air. (I'm assuming the elevations you are talking about are roads below about 9000 feet. I do notice some gasping for air in the higher mountain trekking I have done - over 10 - 12,000 feet it really starts having an effect on some folks).

As for acclimitization - you are not going to acclimate to elevation with much less than a week to 10 days at altitude. They've done studies that show that spending only a few days at high elevation actually decreases your performance. So unless you can go up at least a week before your event, don't sweat it. Get there the day or so before and just relax - and drink a LOT of water!!!

Alternatively, you could get one of those fancy altitde tents and sleep in it! But I don't think that's what you had in mind...
    Last edited by maillotpois; 03-30-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Yeah, what she said. I regularly go on mtb bike vacations at high altitude and I live at sea level.

The water isn't just for the drier air. It also helps with altitude sickness. So drink lots and pace yourself.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Just remembered - Another good resource is Arnie Baker's ACE training book. It's written for the Death Ride, but applies to just about any endurance ride at altitude:

http://www.arniebakercycling.com/books/b_ace.htm

Yes, Arnie Baker is Floyd Landis' doctor and defender. He is also the national cycling coach and doctor for Team in Training.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Thanks, Sarah! This is just the information I needed.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

One More Thing

All those tips are good for high altitude, but beware sometimes you will react to the altitude differently. I used to ride in the San francisco bay area and would go to high altitude for races/rides a fair amount (Death Ride is one of them). Most of the time, I was fine; but one time I had altitude sickness when I went to do a mountain bike race (nausea, headache, general malaise) so just be careful if you start to feel bad when you get there. Rest and drink lots of water.