Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Brooks B17 "N" or Selle An-atomica

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, after another not comfortable saddle I am finally looking into Brooks and Selle An-atomica. I am looking at Brooks B17 Narrow saddle and Selle An-Atomica saddles. Since I am not able to put any miles during weekdays and ride only on weekends, and brooks requires braking in period I am really scared that it will take me a loooong time to break it in. On the other hand Selle An-atomica is presoftened and might feel comfortable right away. What would you do?

TE has a good return policy on the Selle An-atomica. I've never ridden mine more than 30-some miles because it's on my singlespeed which I only ride afterwork. But the thing didn't take any break-in at all.

I've never ridden a Brooks to compare.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Yep TE has a great return policy. I guess considering that I don't ride enough to break it in pretty fast I would be better off with Selle An-Atomica. Darn, nashbar has brooks b17 "n" on sale for 60$ bargain!!!

Why do you want the B17 "N"? Are your sit-bones that narrow?

My Brooks took about 40 miles to break in. And actually it was extraordinarily comfortable right out of the box, as I got a saddle that really was the right size for me for probably the first time EVER! (Brooks B67)

Wallingford Bicycle Parts www.wallbike.com gives a 6 month trial period for all the Brooks saddles. You can return it within 6 months, no questions asked.

Most members of the TE Brooks Cult get their saddles from Wallingford.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Knotted, I am on a narrower side. I had Specialized jett in 144 mm and it was a good size for me except that saddle just HURTs. So 177 mm would be a little too wide for me. I am trying to save a little money right now for my vacation in may, so that's why I am attracted to Nashbar deal on B17 N. Although, if Selle anatomica is a better saddle for me I will definately buy it.

The B17N and the Titanico sound like they are going to be about the same width, which is very cool for you. At least all you have to consider and compare are cut-out, leather firmness, and cost.

From a cost standpoint, $60 for a Brooks vs. $145 for the An-Atomica.... well, I'd go for the Brooks. (but I'm a member of the Brooks Cult! )

BTW the B17N is $94 at Wallingford. Even if you don't like the Brooks, I'm betting you could sell it for close to what Nashbar is asking on ebay or TE or Craig's.

You might consider contacting Mimitabby. She has Brooks and An-Atomica. One of her Brooks is 30 years old and still going strong.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I can't track all of the Brooks saddles. Some have very short rails which can make the fore/aft position difficult. The Selle An-atomica has long 10 cm rails.

Just info to help you make a decision based on where you need to put the saddle.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm thinking the B17 "N" would be too narrow for just about ANY woman. The regular width B17 would probably fit you great. I have the B17"S" which is slightly wider for women, and it's really too narrow for me.
    Your hips are not narrower than most GUY's hips, are they? If they are not, then you should opt for the regular B17. You want your sitbones to rest WITHIN the saddle metal frame edges, not directly ON the frame edge. If your bones sit ON the frame edge, they will not be able to create the leather indents that makes these Brooks saddles so comfortable for your individual butt once they are broken in.
    If you apply lots of Proof-Hide (order it along with your Brooks saddle) in the first weeks, it shouldn't take long to break it in to the point where it's comfortable. And as Knot mentioned, you can return it.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Lisa, you raised a great question. Just measured my sit bones with white paper, and they come out to 5' and 3/4 inches. I guess B17 would be too narrow for me so best bet would be to go with Brooks B17 regular and I can always either return or sell. The rails are 8cm long on Brooks b17 which is a big difference I guess, but since it's better for me width wize.... Thanks for all your help, will order Brooks today and see how it will like my butt.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    I can't track all of the Brooks saddles. Some have very short rails which can make the fore/aft position difficult. The Selle An-atomica has long 10 cm rails.

Just info to help you make a decision based on where you need to put the saddle.
    I think the sprung Brooks saddles have the shorter rails. The usable rails on my B67 (with springs) are only about 9 cm. I still have maybe 1/2-1 cm that I could scoot the saddle back if I needed, but it is almost as far back as it will go.

So, just ordered standard B17 saddle from walbike, actually the standard one was the same price as nashbar's. Ordered the maintainance kit along with it. So how often should I apply that greasy stuff on the saddle, and where do I apply it? Just under the saddle or on top too?

they telll you to apply it to the top only but i put it on the underside too.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    I'm thinking the B17 "N" would be too narrow for just about ANY woman. The regular width B17 would probably fit you great. I have the B17"S" which is slightly wider for women, and it's really too narrow for me.
    Your hips are not narrower than most GUY's hips, are they?
    Saddle size has to do with sitbone distance, not hips.

I don't have that big hips but they're there. However my sitbones are really close to each other and any wide saddle is very uncomfortable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshNewbie View Post
    So, just ordered standard B17 saddle from walbike, actually the standard one was the same price as nashbar's. Ordered the maintainance kit along with it. So how often should I apply that greasy stuff on the saddle, and where do I apply it? Just under the saddle or on top too?
    Hey there, FreshNewbie! Here's wishing you many happy miles on your B17. I'm a big Brooks and Wallbikes fan -- I have a B17 on my mtn. bike, a B17S on my Trek road bike, and a Team Pro S on my newly resurrected Bianchi road bike. Here's the drill as far as proof hide goes on non-aged saddles like yours:

1. When you get the saddle, put the proof hide on the top & bottom of the saddle. Wait a while and use the provided rag to buff off the top. (You don't have to buff off the bottom.)

Bonus points: proof hide the bottom before mounting it on the bike.

2. The proof hide helps the saddle be less slippery during the break in period.

3. I put proof hide on the top of my saddle every week or so for the first month of ownership. You'll notice that the first few times you use proof hide, it dries to a matted finish that shines up nicely when you buff it. After a few applications of proof hide, you'll notice that it stays shiny. I take that as a sign that it's had enough of the initial proof hide applications, and you can go into maintenance mode.

4. Maintenance mode: Depending on your climate, you should only have to apply proof hide every 6 months to a year.

Your saddle will come with maintenance instructions that say pretty much what I've said, but in more charming, British English.

-- Melissa

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    My own advice is to Proofhide both sides liberally before putting the saddle on, then do another application like every other day for a week or two of riding, then slowly less often until it feels totally confortable and you can see sitbone dents- eventually just once every other month or so. Do not continue to ride the saddle if it gets sopping wet in the rain! Let it dry before riding again.

Expect to feel some soreness for the first few rides on a new Brooks- your butt actually adapts to the saddle as well as the other way around.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^