Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

A tip I heard if you want to try a saddle with the idea you may want to return it. Wrap the rails in electrical tape before you mount it so that they will not get scratched - then you can likely take it off with no signs that it has been used.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Kitsune06 Guest
    ok so I threw the saddle with a cut-out on... It seems like I need to just decide what level discomfort I'm ready to deal with. The cutout was a blessing. I could stop, slow down, etc, without mashing my bits (and for good measure I wore all my 'jewelry' because this was only a 2mi ride so I wanted to figure for 'worst case scenario'. Didn't even feel the jewelry. Amazing.

However, the rear was too narrow (or something?) and felt like it was pressing hard on the insides of my thighs... I don't know how to describe it. It was very unlike the firm support of the Brooks.

I'm wondering how much narrower the An-Atomica is than the B-17 standard... but I'm thinking hard about that an-atomica now.

If the Selle An-Atomica turns out to be too narrow for you, I did notice on the maker's site (http://mcmwin.com/sa ddle%20shop%20new.htm -- about halfway down the page, mixed in with the other items) that they also do modifications/"upgrades" to Brooks saddles. So, you might be able to get the width that you like in the Brooks, but the benefit of the cut-out. Just another option to think about?

Kitsune06 Guest
    it is... the thing is- I'm anxious that maybe what if I don't like the cut-out... can't put the leather back, so to speak... I wonder how many people try the an-atomica and hate it?

I would assume that a lot of people like it since I never seen one being sold on Ebay. The only reason I didn't get it is because it seems too narrow and also the fact that it's not very durable considering that because of htat cut out this saddle seems to just sink in.
    I put Specialized Avatar in 155 width and it was perfect on my first ride. When I do a longer ride I will let you know how it feels.

I got an an-atomica in January on Sadie Kate's recommendation, and I like it, so far.

I have had a really tough time finding a saddle over the last couple of years, and the An-atomica, when it's right, is really great. The only thing that has happened, and only once, is that on the Wine Country Century ride last week, between the saddle and the shorts I was wearing (and maybe some minor misalignment?) I was a hurting puppy from the first 100 yards to the last of 40 miles. But it's been fine on subsequent rides - that chaffing on the sides was the only real problem.

If that saddle were more t-shaped than pear shaped (without the flared sides), I think it would be perfect. I like the cut out, and its length, and that it is so firm. And I have two divits on the saddle now from my sitbones, so that will help with measurements, and figuring out what width saddle I really need.

I am thinking that part of my saddle trouble has been poor bike fit, so I am looking forward to trying the selle an-atomica on my new bike, and seeing how that goes, and then, if it doesn't seem right, maybe tracking back through some of my other saddles I've tried. The next best saddle was the Selle San Marco Aero (or was it the Atola? Can't remember ). That was a narrow firm saddle with a cutout. The terry butterfly, on the other hand, was a torture device for me, so not all cutouts are created equal. I might give the Brooks another go as well, but I don't want to change too many things at once.

Finding a saddle - what a trial!
    Keep calm and carry on...

Kitsune06 Guest
    The slit doesn't pinch your bits?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune06 View Post
    I wonder how many people try the an-atomica and hate it?
    When I called Tom (phone number on the web site Dex mentioned above) he said that nobody ever returns them. Oops, I did. They've got a 30 day return policy if you order directly from them, so there's little risk. (The web site says to call them to talk about what you need before ordering so that you can return the saddle if necessary, but he didn't say much during the phone call so I don't really know what that's about.)

Kitsune06 Guest
    I'm just trying to assess the risk involved in sending my beloved brooks in to get pruned...

I'm just trying to assess the risk involved in sending my beloved brooks in to get pruned...
    Ahhh, got it. I found the slit to be comfortable, with no pinching of the bits when wearing shorts with chamois.

it is... the thing is- I'm anxious that maybe what if I don't like the cut-out... can't put the leather back, so to speak... I wonder how many people try the an-atomica and hate it?
    MtKitchen "absolutely hates" her An-Atomica Titanico. Maybe she'll sell it to you?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Aren't the an-atomica saddles made from much thinner more flexible leather than the Brooks saddles?? I can't imagine that cutting a slit in a Brooks would make much difference in terms of the girly bits pressing the leather down. If the problem pressure area is up near the nose anywhere I would think it would make even less difference.
    Also, if you cut your Brooks you won't ever be able to sell it for much if you decide you don't like it. Just a thought....
    Lisa
    Our bikes...OurBikes...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    Ruby's Website and My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kit, before you send your beloved Brooks in to get slaughtered, can I ask a really stupid question?

You've probably already dealt with this... so forgive me.

You did level only the NOSE of your Brooks, right? So that the nose is level, and the back flares upward? (the back rivets will be higher than the nose)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Kitsune06 Guest
    I've experimented pretty thoroughly w' saddle tilt. It just still mashes the h*ll out of my bits. Especially up front. Level, tipped up, tipped down I slide forward and put too much weight on my hands...

i'm just getting sick of having my bits rubbed raw. Even curled tight with tight abs, tucking tailbown down as low as I can in the 'pelvis neutral' position, when I get into the drops, things 'heat up' down there from friction and I know if I go more than 20-30 miles, things will be chafed beyond recognition.

Are your bars too low?