Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solvang Double

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey Brandy, if you don't mind my asking ...

How on earth did you manage to get from just starting out, to finishing fast double centuries, in less than a year?

Did you have a specific training plan?

Do you go to spinning classes, lift weights, run? (I imagine raising three young kids would qualify as all three, hee)

I'd just love to know how you did it.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

It's an age thing. Brandy is a young 'un. I wish I had seriously started riding younger.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Oh, for sure, age or lack thereof has a lot to do with it - heck, I'm old enough to be Brandy's mother (were I a child bride, cough cough) - but there has to be more to it than that !

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    Hey Brandy, if you don't mind my asking ...

How on earth did you manage to get from just starting out, to finishing fast double centuries, in less than a year?

Did you have a specific training plan?

Do you go to spinning classes, lift weights, run? (I imagine raising three young kids would qualify as all three, hee)

I'd just love to know how you did it.
    Here's my very long story...

Prior to getting my road bike in May '06, I had been taking 3-5 Spinning classes/week and lifting weights regularly since October '05. I think that gave me a huge advantage...my first ride outside was 20 miles and within a couple of weeks I was up to 45 miles rides. I took some time off in June to travel and visit with friends and in the beginning of July I started training for Cool Breeze Century, which was August 18th. I just increased my mileage slowly, started adding more hilly rides and I think that my longest ride before the century was 65 miles.

I had surgery in late August that had me off of the bike until mid-October, then I started back with easy rides leading up to the OCW Fall Metric ride on October 28th...where I thought I would DIE! After that I had several horrible rides and was really discouraged, my legs were fine, but my cardio fitness had suffered in my time off of the bike and I was getting winded every ride.

November was crappy ride after crappy ride and more discouragement about not being at the same level I had been at before surgery. Finally...the first week in December I went out on a very windy solo ride on the river trail. Somehow I managed to push through and go the whole distance, though I thought many times about turning around. I ended up with 72 miles that day, my longest solo ride at that point and more importantly, a breakthrough mentally...my attitude was starting to change.

December 10th...the day that I met George. We had our so Cal BF holiday party the night before and since it was raining (and I assumed it would be the following day so I could bail on the century ride...lol) I indulged in far too much holiday cheer. I woke up hung over and disappointed that the skies were not letting loose...damn it...I HAD to ride the "burrito century" from Irvine to San Diego. The first leg sucked, I'm fairly certain that I still had Malibu Rum running through my veins and I just didn't want to ride. A Starbucks stop made everything right in the world and I was able to get into a groove. I pulled into the rest stop at 7-11 on Avenida Pico in San Clemente and there he was...this mystery man...hmmm...who was he, all decked out in a Swami's kit and surrounded by people??? He had been out doing his own thing, had ridden up from Encinitas and stopped to refuel when our group started coming in. He knew one of the guys in the group, so decided to wait for him to say hello and we started talking. He decided to roll with us and he started pointing out some things that I could change about my form and pedaling and I noticed an immediate power increase. I ended up riding with him all day, and there was mental breakthrough number two...just what I needed at that point! I emailed him to thank him for that, though it bounced and he never got it, but luckily our jerseys gave us away and he came to Bike Forums looking for me.

So...since then, many of my long rides have been with George. He pushes me to achieve things that I didn't think were possible. Honestly, January sucked for me training-wise. I got maybe one weekday ride in if I was lucky, but I did three centuries and one 200k brevet that month, so I was riding every weekend. I was able to get some 30 milers a couple of times during the week in February, then I had my first double on February 17th. Since then my long ride training has been limited due to childcare, a couple of 45 milers, an 82 miler and then a 114 miler with 12,000 feet of climbing, coming up on this second double. I did add some hill repeats in, and I will continue with that.

So basically, you can see that I have no set training plan. I have the advice of a coach at my disposal, but the best laid plans...well, you know. With three kids and a divorce pending, my training plans often fly out the window!

Ditto on the spinning thing. Before I started riding, I had a year of spinning 2 - 3 times a week. When I did get on the bike everything came really easily to me - and I did Death Ride for the first time a year after starting cycling**. I think spinning lays a great base for road riding.

**Granted I flamed out and only did four passes because I thought I was going to barf all day, but my point is I progressed quickly because of the spinning background.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    I think spinning lays a great base for road riding.
    I find it so hard to go back into a Spinning class now though! I mean, time constraints and childcare dictate that I have to if I want to get a workout on the bike in sometimes, but I stare at the clock the whole time...lol! I need to get over that because I'm being hired by a local gym to start subbing soon. I need to find a way to teach with road cycling in mind, I can't be bothered with all of the jumping and in and out of the saddle now.

The best Spinning instructors I have had have been serious riders. None of the stupid "ride swinging your arm at your side" BS that you would never actually do on a bike. Very focussed intervals - often using race scenario visualizations, which makes it more fun. I think you will be able to come up with some productive and focussed workouts.

I don't spin any more either. I just do the Coach Troy DVDs.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Spinning Classes

Well, I was a roadie snob when it came to spinning classes. However, after my bike accident in January and then not able to do much activity for about a month, I decided to give it a try.

The first week I went (3x a week) I thought I would die at the end of the class! I was soooo tired. But I've kept at it and now it's 3-4 times a week. The instructors I have are mostly indoor cyclists, but they use outdoor training plans when they do the classes. I'm definitely in shape leg wise and cardio wise for when I get back on the bike. I try to push myself a little further each week. Yesterday when we did a cadence count I was up to 138rpm. I was pretty happy about that as it wasn't that hard for me.

I recommend spinning because it does help with the cardio and also with keeping a steady pace on the bike. We do some jumps, a lot of standing in different "gears" and lots of cardio and leg work. I"m so glad I have something to keep me in shape while I heal. I don't know what I'd be doing at this point if it weren't for spinning.

I"ve gotten my friend Sarah to go a couple of times. She immediately noticed a difference in her riding style- she's more consistent in her cadence and stronger on the hills. She was already a strong cyclist (another young'un)and spinning is just accelerating her training.

One of the women in our club- Laurie Fenech (MP- she races with MACO) does spin classes 5x a week, races on the weekends, rides most every day and runs as well. This is in addition to a full time job as a teacher! She is winning races in her category this year. She's 51- and beats people who are 30. Go figure!
    Nancy