Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

the ultimate folly - clipless Lesson

To disable ads, please log-in.

hi guys, Today at 4pm i have a lesson at cycle U where I am going to learn to go clipless.

It's kind of ironic, because I have been communicating with Kent Peterson about my power straps... he's a guy who has ridden thousands and thousands of miles and has a blog

owell. I'm an equal opportunity learner.
    Let's hope it isn't pouring out this afternoon.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I found clipping in wasn't a problem, it was getting used to clipping out BEFORE I stopped. Contributed to blood spots on the front steps at the office and a broken nose to prove it - provided excitement for the security guard sitting there watching a bank of TV screens.
    Beth

Awsome, did you already pick your pedals? I never tried cages but to me they always looked much more intimidating than clipless pedals

I still have some really nice scars on my right leg from September. I was coming to a stop sign and the car in front of me didn't go. I was totally balanced at a full stop and then realized I was stopped and then the "oh no - must unclip" thought came to mind. Unfortunately I was toppling over at the time. The chainring and I became well-acquainted.

I'm with you FN - cages look much scarier to me.

What kind of pedals are you going with? Tell us! Tell us! Good luck with the lessons!
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

I also agree...getting in is no problem, but getting out before you stop can be tricky. Make SURE you know ahead of time when you're going to stop, because you'll fall fast.

well, ladies, that's why I'm going for a lesson. I don't have any trouble clipping IN either. It's getting out in time, getting the timing and coordination
    down, and getting over the terror that I am going to try to combat with this lesson.

PS I don't want to break my nose or my ribs or...
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

You will be just fine, first couple of times you will want to unclip way before the stop but then you will know how to react and will be doing it closer to the stop. What I always do is if I see some situation that might require a stop, I put my left leg (which I unclip) at 12 o'clock and ready to snap out, that way I feel i am ready to stop. Good luck with the lesson, please report on your choice of pedals

P.S. try speedplays

I love my look pedals. Some days they are the only thing that can get me up a hill--as in, oh my god I'm going to fall over if I don't get to the top. Very motivational. Good luck!

Mimi, there is no guarantee that you will fall. DO NOT GO INTO THIS BELIEVING YOU WILL FALL! Can I shout that loud enough? If you believe this and are nervous and tense, it will be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Learn to coast standing up on the clipped in foot. See how that feels? What it takes to balance the bike? Can you make gentle turns with your weight only on the one foot? Yes, right? You're halfway there.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 03-23-2007 at 07:38 AM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

You're going to do great, Mimi, I just know it

Congrats on facing your fear and being so brave!

-Ace

I already fell, when i tried it in the school parking lot. There are a lot of years of braking that I have to grapple with and relearn how to do it.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Doesn't mean you're going to fall again.

Hint: until you can clip out instinctively, don't talk to anyone but yourself while stopping. Talking to yourself through the motion is a good thing.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Thumbs up You go girl!

Good luck on learning to use clipless. I think you'll like them once you get the hang of it. I'm with FreshNewbie, try the speedplays.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Mimi, there is no guarantee that you will fall. DO NOT GO INTO THIS BELIEVING YOU WILL FALL! Can I shout that loud enough? If you believe this and are nervous and tense, it will be a self-fulfilling prophesy.
    So true SK - I rode for hundreds of miles before I fell. And, it was just a case of not paying attention (which is not uncommon for me).

(unrelated sidenote - SK - check your PM's)
    Elizabee (age 5) at the doctor's office: "I can smell sickness in here...I smell the germs"

Hijack: Fish! Bee! Nice to see you.

Returning to falling thread.

SK and Fish are right - don't assume you're going to fall.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes