Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Cycling on Maui

Cycling on Maui

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband and I are going out to Maui in May and are planning on doing some riding while we are there. I was wondering if anyone has done this before? If so, any suggestions on where to rent a bike from, what route to take, etc?

I've found a few places that rent bikes, all are about the same price. I've never rented a bike before, so I'm a little nervous about it. Do I bring my own pedals, and saddle? And what clothes should I bring? Arm warmers, knee warmers, rain jacket? There's a lot that goes into this. Its wearing me out just thinking about it.

My fiancé spent quite a bit of time cycling on Maui - he would go there quite often with his family - and I think he'd say everywhere is good. But he's a very strong and experienced cyclist, so YMMV.

He has rented bikes at the South Maui Bicycle Shop (I believe) http://www.stirflux.com/smb/ and was very satisfied with what they had.

Regarding clothes, well it depends on when you're going I guess. I'll let others who know the area better answer to you on that!

Have you left for Maui yet? Here's a few things:

1) West Maui is a great ride....but quite hilly...narrow one lane road but spectacular views reward the efforts. Just use common sense on all the blind turns..... REally great homemade banana bread in one of the little valleys. (shhh...don't tell too many people!)

2) Road to Hana....another impressive ride, not as difficult as West Maui, but narrow road...have to not mind riding in close proximity to cars. Rolling terrain.

3) Climb Haleakala...my favorite ride in Hawaii. 0-10,000 ft in 36.2 miles of climbing fun. Bring $5.00 each to get into the park. Wide shoulders for most of the ride, well banked for the descent afterwards.... Must be pretty self-supported after the 6,000ft level.

If you climb Haleakala, you will need armwarmers and a windbreaker/vest for the top. Rain gear is smart for the other rides, though it's a warm rain, usually.

Hope I'm not too late....hope you have a great time..PM if you're want more info.

Aloha,
    kate