Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Montano Velo Bike Shop - Oakland

To disable ads, please log-in.

http://www.montanovelo.com/

Last week Bill and I visited a shop new to us and unknown by the the Bobs, V, Kim, etc. so I thought I'd post a little bit about it because I think this shop is a keeper.

You want to drool over Pegorettis? There are at least a dozen on the floor.

You want a Brooks saddle? There was a wide range, including a green one, on the shelves waiting to be fondled. There were also a few Brooks saddle bags.

Nitto bars? Yep.

All things fixie and track? Yep, including some drop dead gorgeous lugged steel track frames built by the former owner -- and they're cheap.

Engraved leather bar protectors for track/fixie/SS bikes? Yep - and I'm waiting for the guy to call me so we can talk design. I need one for the Milwaukee.

They have Capoforma clothing, mostly for men, but at least it wasn't the standard PI stuff. And the Bergamo toe covers I've been coveting - these have ankle straps.

They do carry Cervelo, Giant and Burley but you can tell their heart is in high end or track steel.

Nice shop dog and a Mikkelsen fit bike - my bike shop has several times given me a recommendation for them as a fitter in the bay area.

Cool store. It's not the run of the mill chain store kind of place.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 03-22-2007 at 10:30 AM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

coolness

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Just my 2 cents...someone recommended Montano Velo to me for maintenance last year- I live about .25 mile away from there. Anyway, they did a tune up on my hybrid, and replaced a part (stem? something fairly major anyway, but I can't for the life of me remember what- I had just started riding). My then bf and I went to pick up the bike, and ex-bf looked at it (he's a major bike guy) and said, "this part they replaced is not new, look at the scratches, grease, etc." He asked the mechanics for the box, or something to indicate that the part was new, and they said they didn't have the box, maybe someone returned the part unused or something. Anyway, ex was irate, and the service they gave us was really like, "who cares if you ever shop here again, lame-o hybrid rider" (which was pretty freakin' stupid of them, because last month I bought a custom Serotta from Cycle Sports on Grand Ave., because they treated me and my hybrid seriously (spent hours on the Serotta fit cycle adjusting my clips when I went clipless on the hybrid and my knees were hurting). Take it for what it's worth.....

This place is only a couple blocks from my house...

I've only looked through the window, but never gone in. Last year they had a really cute pink custom bike window display (for those into pink), I think for Valentines Day.

Prehaps I'll wonder in...

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

nothing from me about the bike store, but "ACE", did I tell you I like your dog ...

Thanks, sbctwin. His name is Linus, 8 yo North Oakland Mutt