Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I transfer my Polar between my two road bikes and my mountain bike. I have mounts on all three, speed sensors on all three, cadence on the two road bikes... I just have to switch bikes on the unit itself.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Would you please ask Mr. UberGeek how to store more data without a PC available? Anyway to download to a USB drive?

On the battery, how many double AAs to recharge the unit?

I need to store 9 days of data (many of them long days) and 6 will be without power available.

So, does the unit tell you to "turn here, stupid" or do you have to be looking at the screen? How do you use it to follow a new route?

Please tell Mr. UberGeek thank you.
    Just to make sure the record is straight, Mr. UberGeek is not my husband.

I don't know yet on the battery charger thing - I have not received it yet. I better get it before the 300k! I think the charger holds 2 or 3 batteries. The key (apparently) is to plug it into the charger before you turn the unit on and then leave it plugged into the charger. I don't yet know how long the charger will last w/o changing batteries in that.

I am also confused about the data storage thing because it says right there in the book that it stores up to 2 or 3 years of data. So I don't know when it would start overwriting. I will look on the Motion Based forum to see if people have discussed that. I don't think you could download to a USB key because you need it to interface wiht software like sync-ing a PDA.

The Edge does attach to separate mounts like, it sounds, the polar. So you can move the unit from bike to bike. There is a place where you can change the bike settings (tire size and weight of bike) as well.

I don't yet know how the directional settings work - how it tells you where to turn if you put a route in.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Hey V.. does the 60 have points of interest? you know, in case you are in the middle of nowhere and you just have to know where the next coffee shop is or something important like that..
    Push the pedal down watch the world around fly by us

Sure does!

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Just to make sure the record is straight, Mr. UberGeek is not my husband.
    Trust me. That never crossed my mind.

I am also confused about the data storage thing because it says right there in the book that it stores up to 2 or 3 years of data. . . . I don't think you could download to a USB key because you need it to interface wiht software like sync-ing a PDA.
    Don't need it to interace with software, just store data that can be downloaded later to a PC with software. I think someone else has asked the same question on MB.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Yeah, but I think the consensus on MB was that you couldn't download to a key. How do you tell the key to pull the data off the garmin? Neither device has what you need to initiate the data transfer. I don't think it can be done. That being said, losing a day or so of data on a multi day trip wouldn't bug me because I would still have way more available to me than I did with my HAC 4.

So there!

And you saw how cool it was to be able to copy my route!! (User error on my end notwithstanding.)
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

One word of caution on the GPS devices. Don't get so carried away with watching the display that you forget to keep an eye on where you are going. Just ask my DH. (Both he and the bike are fine....)
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Yeah, but I think the consensus on MB was that you couldn't download to a key. How do you tell the key to pull the data off the garmin? Neither device has what you need to initiate the data transfer. I don't think it can be done. That being said, losing a day or so of data on a multi day trip wouldn't bug me because I would still have way more available to me than I did with my HAC 4.

So there!

And you saw how cool it was to be able to copy my route!! (User error on my end notwithstanding.)
    Not for the price, it isn't. Another year and Garmin might actually turn it into a real GPS with decent data storage.

After getting incredibly lost today, I came back and found this thread. & I'm still not really clear, will the garmin tell me where I am?

I had to go find some poor guy in his barn.

The Garmin 60 CSX will tell you where you are and how to get home.

V.

TandemHearts.com

SouthernBelle. Garmin is a brand. To which Garmin are you referring? The Garmin Veronica has is a mapping GPS. It will tell you where you are and how to get back to your starting point. An Edge will not. It will record the route you are on and, I think, allow to upload routes previously ridden routes or routes mapped elsewhere. It will not tell you how to get unlost.

Mine will also tell you where the nearest coffee shop, bar, or bike store is.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Veronica's wins!

I've got one just like V's (borrowed from a friend). It found the local Peet's but not Steady Eddy's in Winters.

How does a business get added? What is the source for the data?

Anyone use the Edge with a Mac? I'm about to buy one. I am a geek I know.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast