Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wearing a "team" jersey when you're not on the "team"

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ladies, my husband has started riding with me this year so we're getting him outfitted with gear and he's having a hard time finding jersey's that he likes. He's found one in Nashbar, but I think it's a team jersey (Corona). It has team looking stuff on it.

My take is that unless you're part of the "team" you don't wear the jersey. What is the correct bike attire etiquette when it comes to that stuff?

Thanks!
    The only limits that you have in life are the ones you impose on yourself. ~author unknown~

me, I'd just do it. Personally I would never buy one, but a friend is on the Terry team and she gave me a "term Terry" jersey. I don't think too much about it, I just make sure I feel like being pink that day. ;-)

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I agree. I don't wear "team" stuff, but I don't see anything wrong with it for other people. It's really not much different from people wearing replica football or basketball jerseys. It's just not my thing. The other thing I don't understand is when people buy jerseys from races that they don't compete in. Why would you want one unless you did the race?

I wasn't sure about this either. Personally I won't wear a team jersey unless I'm riding with the team, but he just likes the jersey.

I just didn't want to buy a $65 jersey and break some unspoken "don't wear the team jersey unless you are a team member rule"!

Last year on a ride, one of the guys I was riding with had on a jersey with the sleeves cut out that actually was the team jersey of a group that was on the same ride! He got mistaken a couple of times by other members as being part of the group and actually had "some words" with a cockier team member, but it ended up being funny once that dip-sh*& got over himself and his jersey.

The other thing I don't understand is when people buy jerseys from races that they don't compete in. Why would you want one unless you did the race?
    Yah, I agree - how embarassing if someone came up and asked how they liked the race and how'd they do? Too funny!
    The only limits that you have in life are the ones you impose on yourself. ~author unknown~

I was given a Luna team jersey and shorts, and I feel a little like a poseur when I wear them together. But they fit and feel exceptionally nice so I'll wear either the shorts or the jersey separately. I pretty much only wear them when I'm riding solo. I would NEVER wear them at an organized event and only in an emergency for a club ride.

I think it's a little weird too, but then again, I know some teams that sell the jerseys to make some extra money ... I'm sure they don't mind someone wearing that jersey as long as they get enough cash to fly to the next race!
    monique

I have mixed feelings on this topic...

My 12 year old idolizes Lance and wears the USPS jersey on and off his bike, like most kids who worship sports figures. I have to agree here with whoever said that they wouldn't sell it if they did not want you to buy it. I don't wear team jerseys at present
    because I would feel like a fraud. However, I went to Boston College and the cycling team sells jerseys etc. to help support itself so I am thinking of buying a jersey to help them. Then, I will probably wear the school jersey...because I went to the school makes it feel somewhat different....

karen

Hi ragbrai40

When you say team jersey do you mean trade teams like USPS, Saturn or T-Mobile?

I see no problem at all in wearing their jerseys. Like someone else said, you wouldn't be able to buy them if they didn't want you to wear them.

Personally I wear my club kit 95% of the time ( and always in races or organised events so we can pick out club mates) but wear my Mercatone Uno jersey as reserve.

If it looks nice and fits well then go for it.

If it's a professional cycling team jersey and is being sold on Bike Nashbar, they expect people to buy them to wear. After all, how many people are actually on those teams? Not many and I doubt they have BUY their own jerseys............. they get them for free as a team rider.

Look at how many guys out there riding are wearing postal jerseys now! They are all over the place. It can show your support for a certain team, or you can get one because you simply like the colors/design.

If it is the jersey of a local team or club, then it just depends on if they sell them for team members only or for the general public.

Personally, I don't like to wear anything that has advertising on it! And team jerseys usually have sponsors names plastered all over them. But that's just a matter of taste. If your husband likes a particular jersey, I say go for it.

aside note to RAGBRAI40 -- Did you do TOMRV? What'd you think?

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Re: Wearing a "team" jersey when you're not on the "team"

ragbrai40 wrote: What is the correct bike attire etiquette when it comes to that stuff?

I've read somewhere by folks who spend waaay too much time thinking about this stuff that sure, you can wear Lance's jersey, it's much like getting a Joe Montana football jersey, everyone knows you are not Joe.

But don't wear the entire kit: matching socks, gloves, eyeglassholders unless you are on the team and never at a race unless you are on that team. Mix 'em up you're ok I think.

To annie

aside note to RAGBRAI40 -- Did you do TOMRV? What'd you think?
    No, dang it! Had too much going on to get away for the entire weekend. Several other people from the bike club went and said it was a tough couple of days. Weather was better this year than last - no 50 degree rainy weather!

Several of them are doing RAIN - Ride Across Indiana July 7th - 158 miles in one day. I'd love to do that one, but unfortunately I'll be in Acapulco - darn!

See ya on RAGBRAI! (I've been trying to post on the forum, but can't, so I've been lurking - might see you at the courthouse in Onawa!)

RAGBRAI40, check your PM's........
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

RAGBRAI40, check your PM's........
    Nothin there.

This discussion has made me think of my husband.

There was a king of the mountain's jersey on special in a shop about a year ago and I was going to buy it for him as a treat as he has a thing for mountains....

He talked me out of it in the same way that if you saw someone with a yellow jersey or a king of the mountains top, every roadie worth their salt would be trying to overtake you and he said he couldn't bear the disappointment when they all did.

But, just a team jersey would be ok. When I used to go to the football (soccer) in the UK, everyone would wear their team's shirt to the game and despite my husband's dreams, he never got picked for his lifelong team (the mighty Middlesbrough FC) when they were one short, so I can imagine the same would work with cycling.
    Stockton-on-Tees, UK to Brisbane, Australia - It's the Big Trip - www.bigtrip.blogspot.com

I don't think it matters -- he should wear what he wants. Whatever team's jersey he is wearing should feel complimented he wants to wear their jersey. My niece is 9 and did the MS150 last year and wore a USPS jersey -- she looked so cute!!