Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Smile new mountain biker

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, I'm new here and a new mountain biker. I had a baby about 4 months ago and those exercise videos just weren't motivating me so my husband went out and bought me a rainier mtb. Then he dropped me off on a trail (we live in Denver, CO) and told me to have fun. I was skeptical, but I fell in love! Now I ride wherever I can. I just started biking home from work which is an 11 mile bike ride. It is hard for me (I am out of shape!), but I loved it and want to do it everyday.

I guess I just want to learn how to really bike. I want to become one of those bikers who just goes and goes kind of like the quote from Armageddon-all go, no quit.

Any encouragement or suggestions? Anyone else in my area?

Thanks
    RD
    To get to know a country, you must have direct contact with the earth. It's futile to gaze at the world through a car window
    --Albert Einstein

pennys Guest

Thumbs up

way to go!

Can you find some other gals to ride with? I started three seasons ago, and it tirns out I have two friends who race XC that took me under their wings.

If you like to read, "mountain bike like a champion" by Ned Overend has lots of good tips.

What really helped me in the beginning was to ride the same trails over and over again, building confidence on the hrader sections until I could do them easily.

The best tho, was my riding friend who thinks like I do. So when I had trouble in a section, I could talk to here about it, and she could give me feedback that was really useful.

*learn proper position, do not put all your weight on the seat; feet at 3 & 9, legs like springs. Keep a light grip on the handle bars, arms flexed and not locked. Play with what happens when you are changing the CG... that can really affect how you perform on the ups and downs.

that's all for now.

Penny

Lightbulb make riding home a little easier....

If you're still using your mtb for that 11 mile commute, you may want to consider "slick" tires - from what I understand, knobbies on the pavement compared to a road bike tire takes 4 times the energy - so in actuality, you're feel like you're riding about 44 miles. My commute is 18 miles one way, and I couldn't believe the difference! (I still ride the mtb - just use the slicks for road riding...)

Good luck, congrats on the new baby, and happy riding!

New here

Hey momma I'm new here as well. I've been biking well this is my second season of serious biking .Until this spring I had a generic mountain bike **&%$^% and it was heavy .But managed to log 400 miles on it ..now I've gotten a Norco Bush Pilot (night & day).I've put 400 miles on it and it's been about 4 weeks with this bike. I'm looking into trails in my area .As I'm planning to bike across Scotland next summer.I get out on my bike every evening after work,and have been planning to ride it too work....
    so cheer and good luck to you

ash

stuff I wish I'd known sooner

Well most important, does your husband have a single brother? What a rockin' guy you've got.
    Good helmets are worth every obscenely priced cent. Having cracked my noggin into some hard things, I found that a really well fitting helmet, one made for your head shape, will let you actually defy death and ride away cussing about your sore skinned knee. The living through your possible death by head injury thing is really creepy but kinda cool. Technology really is amazing. A helmet that doesn't fit you so well will let your head move inside it on impact and allow a concussion. Be picky. Always wear the helmet. If you ride you will fall someday, probably not badly, but it's like an airbag- better to have it. You may never need it but the visor keeps the rain out of your eyes. Cars see you more easily, too.
    The best bike hat for you is not nessasarily the most expensive one. They're like shoes- different models are made for different head shapes. Unfortunately most bike shop slugs haven't caught on to this.
    Ayermails idea about slicks is good- knobbies don't grab pavement well. I have these nifty mixed use tires that have a slick web design down the center and knobs on the side so on the road you ride a touring tire width surface and on the dirt you have knobs to cut into stuff. Not for the gonzo country but really convenient up to medium difficulty trails. Changing tires back and forth is a pain. I could never cope with it.
    Just some thoughts.

Happy trails

Miss Liz

Hey momma! I'm right with you. Just started getting serious. I have a very generic mtnbike and still love it. I am also struggling to get in shape and find biking to be great! I have tried lots of other activities and biking is the best. So good luck with your adventures!

courses

i recommend trying a women's mtb course. I am an instructor here in Ontario and i teach at weekends clinics. the improvements the women make over 48 hours is amazing.

happy riding!

Han

Question NEED HELP WITH THE RIGHT SHORTS!

Im new to this, not really sure how to post my question, and where, but anywho......
    Maybe someone can help me! I started riding 4 months ago, I have a Specialized Hybrid. Im 5 ft tall, average weight, ride 3 to 4 times a week, about 100 miles. Im having a very difficult time finding the right riding shorts. After about 15 miles or so, I am uncomfortable in the wrong places, and feel scorched!!! Im sure I dont need to go into a lot of detail.
    Is there a pair of shorts someone can recommend that has good pading, great pelvic support without feeling too bulky?
    Pedal pusher!

Thumbs up shorts forum thread

Welike2bike - check out this thread on this forum:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/forums/s...=&threadid=117

I will advise you that I will never buy another $14 pair of performance shorts again!!! After about 35 miles, I was in PAIN! Both pair went right into the trash once I got home! I still really like my Cannondales....and another member had information okn making your own shorts!!

BTW - I am in Winston-Salem....
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)

shorts

I like the Cannondale chamois, and I use the MEC mtn bike short. Only prob with them though is they stick to my seat when sweaty..certainly makes it hard to get behind the seat...comfy though with lots of room to move around.

saddle sores

just a suggestion but if you are feeling really sore, it might be your seat too!