Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Woman+spandex=distracted drivers

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all!

*lol* I could see how a skort would maybe catch the eyes of passing drivers especially when the clothing you're in anyway is huging you like a glove! *giggle giggle* That added bit of "flare" from the skort is just enough that it probably does make you easier to see. But I have to agree with one of the other girls on this thread that of course it would draw attention as the skort is short, so are the shorts underneath, they're tight and show every muscle and curve; especially when off the saddle! *lol* That's a prime time to take a quick look! You know how guys are; they can't resist to stare or drool! *lol*

I don't have a skort to ride in at all, but I still seem to get drivers attention anyway (must be the cute braided pig tails I have when I ride *giggles*). Where I'm from, it's bike central (also college kids all over the place on bikes too) and there are about the same number of cyclists on the road here as there are cars! ^^ Most of the serious cyclists here are men that you see, a few women mixed into the bunch every now and then. When I get out on the road, I never seem to have any problem with stupid cars (did once but that's another story) and 98-99% of them are very curtious as there's so many of us cyclists out on the road. The traffic is just used to seeing us.

I still get nurvous every now and then (mostly when riding close to or in rush hour traffic-I know worse time to be out *he he*) because I know I weigh nothing in comparison to a car, truck or passing semi! *lol* But at least the traffic is really fairly sensable around here. Makes it safer for me and them!

Nice to meet you all!

~Liz

Pink makes a diff too. I noted the difference with skirts/colors too. In the winter my bf likes to borrow one of my hot pink coats to ride in the city in. It really does get more distance out of cars. We havent decided in that case if its chick-respect or gay-phobia Either way, it keeps the bike rubberside down and the cars at bay.
    Ride it, break it, fixit, ride it...

Thumbs up Bright colors are cool!

Quote Originally Posted by sarahfixit
    Pink makes a diff too. I noted the difference with skirts/colors too. In the winter my bf likes to borrow one of my hot pink coats to ride in the city in. It really does get more distance out of cars. We havent decided in that case if its chick-respect or gay-phobia Either way, it keeps the bike rubberside down and the cars at bay.
    I don't know if others have noticed this or if this is just me, but I've got I suppose you could say, a theroy that kinda makes sence where the bright colors are concerned. I notice that when I'm in the car either driving or riding on the passenger's side, that when coming upon a cyclist that's wearing a bright neon color, I have an easier time judging depth perception as to where the rider actually is; it really seems to accentuate the actualy distance between you and them because of the bright color. Your eyes just seem to pick up the distance properly, thus being able to give them a better birth when going around them; you can see clearly!

Now when I come across a rider that's in maybe pastels or dark colors or earth tones or something that easily blends into the background, I notice that it throws off my sense of depth perception and it's not as clear to see just how close I am to the rider (again, whether driveing or in the passenger's seat [and I always give my fellow riders a wide birth ]). Often, it's harder to see just how close I am to a rider and don't realize just how close I am til I'm right next to them. The lack of bright colors seems to relax your eyes as the bland colors just seem to blend into the suroundings of everything and even against the color of the sky.

Now I don't know if I said all that right but I tried and if any of you gals no what I am trying to say, then you're just awesome! But anyway, doesn't it kinda make sense where the bright colors are concerned that they seem to take all question of doubt out of depth perception and leave everything in a "clear" (much easier to see) light? It makes sense to me...though then again, I'm just wierd sometimes! *he he*

~Liz
    Riding a bike takes an amount of certain skill....but riding a bike and not falling off takes true talent.

~chick on a bike