Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

"Cycling specific orthotics"???

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi - Has anyone here ever heard of (or have gotton) Cycling Specific orthotics for people who suffer from plantar facitiis?

My husband found a web site for them and our podiatrist has never heard of them....

We would appreciate the imput before he shells out $200 for them.

Thanks

Yup, there is such a thing.

The podiatrist you go to will mold your feet with plaster and gauze, and hold your foot in a cycling position as the gauze dries.

When they send the molds in to the fabricator they will specify the posting and such for a cycling shoe.

If you aren't actually getting this done BY a podiatrist IN their office, then $200 is a rip-off. (in that case you are better off going to a good shoe store, getting Superfeet for $35 and having metatarsal pads put on them for $10. A really good shoe store will post the Superfeet for cycling for an additional $15.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have a pair of custom orthotics that I use in my cycling shoes. I had to pay extra to get the second pair made that would be narrower than my running shoes. The custom orthotics make my shoe feel soooooo much more comfortable but I never had pain while riding only while walking/jogging.

if your insurance doesn't cover custom orthotics, then try getting BFOs. (Or your podiatrist may have them. My podiatrist gave me these temporarily until I got the custom orthotics. They cost $20 total and were very comfortable.)
    ~ Susie

"Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

i have a real pair of orthotics and a made cheap pair before my custom ones came in. the "cheap" pair i have in cycling shoes.

also like knot said, superfeet have one specifically for cycling shoes.
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Cycling specific orthotics

I didn't know these existed, so thanks for sharing this information. Also, I feel silly for asking this, but could someone review what "correct" foot positioning is on the pedal/clip/cage? I've always been taught not to bend your foot out, but to keep it slightly flexed toward one's shin (?), or flat against the pedal. I'm not sure what angles these would be???? Thanks.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for sharing girls! Our LBS has Superfeet and it sounds like it's just what he needs!
    Patty