Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: cervical cancer

Hybrid View

cervical cancer

another rant!!!

in the newspaper today there is an article about vaccines for this "sex disease"insinuating it happens to promiscious women.

i had to be cut and burt out for this after a dodgey smear.VERY unpleasant experience-i was off the bike for a day!!!!!!BUT this just adds shame to the whole experience.

i lost my virginity when i was 21,i have never slept about ,im just unlucky,makes me seeeeeeeeeeeeeethe.

actually does the bike contribute to cervical cancer?not that itd stop me riding.
    who is driving your bus?

Sunshine - Riding the bike does not contribute to cervical cancer. HPV, the Human Papilloma Virus, does. This is the virus that is responsible for Herpes - all the different kinds, from what I understand. As genital herpes is sexually transmitted, you are more likely to get HPV if you have multiple sex partners. Having said that, it only takes one exposure and the estimates in North America are that 1 in every 4 people is carrying HPV. So.... Do the math and it doesn't take long to see that it's not uncommon and risk of exposure is high even in people who have one partner.

You are more likely to have cervical cancer if you have HPV.

HPV is a virus that stays in the body and looks for opportune moments to rear it's ugly head. If your immune system is suppressed, you are more likely to have an outbreak. I'm not sure if mechanical irritation contributes to outbreaks or not.

I hope this helps. I understand how irritating it is when these diseases are labeled in a way that makes the sufferer look like they deserve it. It's completely insensitive and ignorant.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Last edited by SouthernBelle; 03-04-2007 at 01:29 PM.

If there were a simple vaccine that would protect men from a sexually transmitted cancer, you can bet your boots it would be an inalienable right to get that vaccine!

I met a woman who I later learned had died of cervical cancer. She was only 26.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Wahine - actually HPV causes cervical cancer (and vulvar, vaginal, and anal cancers) and warts (genital and otherwise); another virus, the herpes simplex virus (HSV), causes genital herpes; either way, they are transmitted in the same manner.

Hellosunshine - I'm sorry you had to go through all that. But at least you are getting it taken care of early. As for the promiscious thing - it makes people more likely to contract HPV, but like all STDs - one partner who happens to have it can be the cause. The difference between HPV and the others is that it is extremely, extremely prevalent - somewhere around 80% of all college age women who are sexually active will contract HPV at some time - they just may never know it. I hate the way the media makes all women who contract some type of infection appear to be sleeping aroung - it just isn't the case.

Knottedyet - this vaccine should actually be studied in men. HPV can cause cancer in men just in the same way it causes cancer in women, just not as frequently. And I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Hopefully those deaths will be less frequent in the future.

Okay, I'll be quiet now. But if you have any questions you would like me to attempt to answer, I can try. (I've done some research in this field)

A question for BTChance: Should all of us chickies get tested for HPV?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by btchance View Post
    Wahine - actually HPV causes cervical cancer (and vulvar, vaginal, and anal cancers) and warts (genital and otherwise); another virus, the herpes simplex virus (HSV), causes genital herpes; either way, they are transmitted in the same manner.

Hellosunshine - I'm sorry you had to go through all that. But at least you are getting it taken care of early. As for the promiscious thing - it makes people more likely to contract HPV, but like all STDs - one partner who happens to have it can be the cause. The difference between HPV and the others is that it is extremely, extremely prevalent - somewhere around 80% of all college age women who are sexually active will contract HPV at some time - they just may never know it. I hate the way the media makes all women who contract some type of infection appear to be sleeping aroung - it just isn't the case.

Knottedyet - this vaccine should actually be studied in men. HPV can cause cancer in men just in the same way it causes cancer in women, just not as frequently. And I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Hopefully those deaths will be less frequent in the future.

Okay, I'll be quiet now. But if you have any questions you would like me to attempt to answer, I can try. (I've done some research in this field)
    Wow, BTChance. I have been misled and I thought I was fairly informed on the topic. My mother was diagnosed with cervical cancer and the post I wrote was based on information I had gathered at that time. So does having HSV increase the probability of having HPV? Are they linked in some way?

And +1 what Knott said.

Thank you so much for your information.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS