Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoga Videos

Yoga Videos

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Everyone,
    I was taking a mixed yoga and ashtanga yoga class at my gym, but they will no longer be offered next month. So I was hoping to purchase a few really good videos, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks!

A few recommendations...

Howdy! As you can tell from my user name, I couldn't resist answering this question. I do a class or two at my gym as well...it seems the gyms or health clubs tend to offer power yoga or hybrid yoga.

I have found some cool DVD's lately, but I am trying to exercise restraint and only buy a few. I did purchase a cool one called Yoga For Athletes. It's made by bodywisdom media and includes 16 sports (including cycling!) with 12 customized workouts per sport. It's a good deal price wise...The explanations are very thorough. It's cool because you can mix it up. Even if you don't do the other sports, the workouts work other aspects of the body, which is a nice mix. My only complaint is that there's not a big flow between postures (I like to do the fun, smooth transitions), but hey, you can always do your own. I like the fact that the person doing the voice on the DVD is an avid cyclist and has been teaching yoga 25 years, so it's very cool.

I also own an older VHS version of a Rodney Yee Power Yoga workout (it might be discontinued but they might have a new one). Rodney does a great job of explaining the poses in a slow, controlled manner without going too fast or talking too much.

I have a book by Baron Baptiste about power yoga (he has a couple but I think mine is the Journey into Power one). He has several DVD's, VHS, etc. I am considering get some of his (I am going to ask Santa). On Amazon.com they have quite a few reviews on his work, which might help you choose.

Also, the company Living Arts has many good yoga videos and DVD's...they are very well done in general.

I hope this helps...

Namaste,

Lisa

Thanks Lisa! I originally started yoga to help with those tight hamstrings that cycling creates and loved it, so I might try the Yoga for Athletes dvd you recommend. I'll hit amazon and see what I can find.
    Thanks!

Speaking of yoga.... I am thinking of taking my first class. The only thing that worries me is the fat chick thing! Yeah, I'm overweight and my belly keeps me from stretching as far as I'd like to! I wonder if Ti Chi might be better, until I slim down some. I want something to do for flexibility and stress reduction. Any thoughts?

Barb wrote: Speaking of yoga.... I am thinking of taking my first class. The only thing that worries me is the fat chick thing! Yeah, I'm overweight and my belly keeps me from stretching as far as I'd like to! I wonder if Ti Chi might be better, until I slim down some. I want something to do for flexibility and stress reduction. Any thoughts?"

Hi Barb, Couldn't resist chiming in on this one, I'm a second degree black belt in Aikido, another martial art but one that people often take for stress reduction. My teacher, a 6th dan, also does yoga and uses it in warmups for each class, but I don't do yoga itself, alone...I really should, it's great.

anywho, go ahead and take the yoga class!! no one is going to ask you to stretch further than you can, and just because someone is a skinny gym rat they may be less flexible than you! Yoga is great for reducing stress.

Tai Chi (or any other well taught martial art) will give you balance, concentration, help your strength and breathing, core muscles but not that much for flexibility.

Ditto what Trek 420 said

Barb,

I think you should go for it and take a yoga class! The nice thing about yoga is that even though you are in a group setting in a class, everyone is working at their own level. There's different levels of each yoga pose. The goal is not to be a pretzel, but to work where you are at now. Plus, I think once you are in the yoga mindset or space, you are in a place of nonjudment and noncompetition (this is obviously supposed to happen off the mat too, but hey, we're all works in progress...).

I know for myself that once I get working, I do not notice what others in the class look like or what they're wearing or whether they can get into a pose easier than me. I become very focused and in-tune with my breathing and everything else is there, but I don't "think" about it or anyone else...if all goes well, I forget all of my problems from every day life too class LOL. When faced with every day life challenges when not doing yoga, I find myself better able to deal with things...It's very cool how it works.

You see yoga is really about the breath and being in the present moment. Also, it's about personal discovery and growth for some of us...I have learned to be o.k. with and even love myself for where I am at now (in yoga and in life)...kinda deep, huh? And, I have learned to appreciate my body for the marvel it is, even if I can't touch my toes because my hamstrings are so tight LOL.

In the classes I attend at my gym, we have people of all sizes and shapes and ages and everyone is very friendly and encouraging and supportive of each other. I think if you don't find this to be the case, you just have to find the right yoga class for you.

There are so many benefits to doing yoga and there are many styles of yoga...there's something for everyone. It's a great adjunct to cycling or any other activity (or even a stressful life)...I find that I can apply the principles of breath and focus to other aspects of my life, including my cycling. Plus on a physical level, I have much more flexibility and balance and coordination...great for cycling and mtn. biking.

Just thought I would add my thoughts...I say, you go girl!

Many blessings on your path,

Lisa

Re: Ditto what Trek 420 said

yogabear wrote..."There are so many benefits to doing yoga and there are many styles of yoga...there's something for everyone."

Yoga is the "glue" that holds your workouts together, it's the missing link to so many activities, go for it!

Barb,
    In general I'm very self conscious of my body and my inflexibility, so yoga terrified me! But our gym had a contest where you had to participate in a yoga or pilates class once a week during the holiday season and if you attended all of them you would get a month free, so I started going and loved it. You forget that other people are around you because you are so focused on what you are doing. I felt calm and relieved after my session, so it works great for stress relief. I hope you give it a try, good luck!

5 months later.......

I got too busy with work and biking to do ANYTHING indoors! Today I signed up for Tai Chi. I wanted to go with yoga but it was not offered at any time that I could attend (at my gym anyway). So now I am into water aerobics 3 times a week and Tai Chi once. I am also commited to riding my bike outdoors every weekend. Well.....it's supposed to be in the teens this weekend so we shall see how brave I am!

Yep, it's a Michigan thing

Hi Barb,

Hey there...glad to hear you are going for it I am from Michigan too and don't like to ride outside in the winter (brrr...I can only do it if it's over 32 F out...brrr...). Tai Chi is great too...you go girl !!!

Bear hugs,
    Lisa

Good luck Barb,
    My gym offered Tai Chi for three months last year, I enjoyed it unfortunately there wasn't enough demand. You also focus on breath in Tai Chi and this will be great for when you transition to yoga.
    Enjoy!

Here's my 2 cents on yoga tapes -- I like most of Rodney Yees because they fit my mental speed. Some are faster than others but they have a nice "American" pace. I'm not into the meditative side of yoga so I like the more athletically-paced tapes. One thing you should know if you are looking at DVDs, some have bookmarks or chapters or scenes selections so you can jump around. Some of Yee's tapes are just copied straight to DVD without any way of making use of the technology advances of a DVD.

I also have the first tape by Brian Kest. Wow! 60 mins of an incredible workout. When I can get through the whole tape I know I'm in good shape. Then, my mantra on the trail is to fall with "sensitivity and awareness."

I don't particularly care for the Living Journal tapes by Suzanne Deason or the other female teacher. I don't know what it is. Too soft, too slow, too touchy feely, I don't know. Maybe I'm just into the workout and the mind control of concentrating on the breathing and poses and can't deal with the warm nuturing feeling they seem to try to exude through your TV screen.

There you go for what its worth.

I love Rodney Yee too

I agree to some extent. I also love Rodney Yee and I myself tend to lean more toward athletic varieties of yoga. I started out doing hatha though. I am lucky because Brian Kest has studios in my area I really like Baron Baptiste but have not done his DVD's as of yet...I like his books.

One thing though to consider is that yoga, when viewed from a physical exercise standpoint, is similar to any other fitness program...you have easy days and hard days. For instance, I don't do athletic types of yoga (power, ashtanga, etc.) every day. I might throw an "easy" day into the mix using hatha or a variety of approaches. It's all about balance, which is a tenet fundamental to any yoga practice. I have found this to be true with my cycling program as well...it doesn't make much sense to me to ride at a race pace every day so I have to mix it up.

However, I don't consider yoga as purely exercise. To me, my yoga is my life. I practice being conscious each and every moment and focus on my breathing. This helps me in cycling and in other areas of life, especially when I have created a stressful situation in my life (notice I said 'create' because I truly believe we create our reality. I also meditate as part of and separately from my yoga practice. I find this helps me with grounding and being centered which translates into being focused and in optimal performance mentally and physically on the bike as well as spiritually in life.

Now, that's just my $0.02 and I don't mean to negate anything anyone said. I just wanted to share some perspective on how yoga has contributed to my personal and athletic journey. By all means, find the yoga teacher (whether it's in person or from a DVD) that is right for you. After a while, you will become your own teacher/yogi

Namaste,

Enjoy the journey,

Lisa

Internet shopping gets me in trouble. I just purchased a dvd from velo called Yoga for Cyclists, I've never heard of it, but I'll let you all know if it is any good.

trek420

Trek420....I would just like to add my congratulations on the second degree black belt in Akido. I am not currently practicing martial arts due to time constraints and such, but I have a black belt in Shotokan Karate and in Taekwondo. I have also trained in Gracie Jujitsu and Pasaryu among others. Have you found it helps with your cycling skills? My friends marvel at my balance, and my ability to keep my head in a fall and almost always roll out, avoiding any injury at all.