Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Training

Post Training

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been diligently training for a three-day 330 mile bike ride that will take place next month. I know myself and know that if it weren't for organized classes I wouldn't train! So, I have been working out at a local gym. I have been consistently working out through classes since last fall and for the past three months, my workouts have increased to six days a week. The classes I take include: spinning four days, body pump three days, kickboxing one day, and cardiobuffet one day. I also do a calf and squat routine as well as go for bike rides in my neighborhood.

I guess I'm feeling a little despondent. I took a spinning class on Saturday and was talking to the instructor after class. I was getting some advice from him regarding my training and I left there thinking that I have done myself a disservice with my exercise regimen. I am feeling really good with my workouts but he led me to believe that I am not focusing on areas that will enable me to complete the ride. I don't know what else I can do! I was feeling pretty good about my routine but now I'm wondering if I've blown this period of time with worthless training.

Because the ride I'm participating in is in another state, there are no local training sessions available to me.

Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks and I apologize for the lengthiness of this message.

vbone,

330 miles in 3 days is a pretty severe ride! I've ridden numerous double-centuries (200 miles in one day) but 330miles in 3 days sounds like it would be a similar or even more strenuous feat! Best of luck to you. I can't say that your training regimen up to now has been *bad* for you, but there is no substitute for riding big miles when you are training for a big mileage event. If you haven't ridden a century yet (100 miles in one day) you need to do so as soon as possible and see how you recover from it. See also my comments under the "what is a century" topic. You don't say how many miles you have been riding per week, so it is tough to give you specific recommendations.

DoubleLori

Here is a link for suggested training for the Seattle to Portland ride: www.seattletoportland.com/prep/mileage.htm which might help you or others who are training for long-distance rides.

DoubleLori

Thank you so much for the link and your recommendations. They are extremely helpful.

training

I too am training for a longer ride--6 days 500 miles. I don't know how long you have left, but I was given an 8 week training guide to follow. It's very helpful and doesn't make me feel too overwhelmed. I would be glad to share it if you are interested. I know I did a lot of spinning at the beginning-which really helped me, but I have found the hardest part for me (being a new rider) is getting used to my bike and the feelings that overtake my body on long 3+ hour rides. I think that by training long hours on my own bike I have come to know my body better. It has allowed me to make adjustments in my training, my bike, my use of supplemental food and drink, etc, so that when my 6 long back to back days come I will hopefully be a bit more comfortable.
    if you are interested in the 8 week guide you can email me at kbellus28@yahoo.com

Good Luck!!!!!

let us know how your ride goes!

June must be a good month for tours! My sister and I are doing a 5 day, 370 mile ride the last week of June....

vbone, tinkerbell
    let us know how your rides go!

I returned yesterday from the bike ride and had absolutely NO problems doing the ride itself. I felt like I adequately trained for the event and never got sore!

Good luck to those of you who have big rides ahead. Let me know how they go for you!

Thumbs up post-ride!

vbone - I am SOOO GLAD your ride went well! That is an amazing feat - 3 centuries in as many days...what a testament to diligent training and discipline! Where was your ride? Did you get to camp or motel it? Did you enjoy it?
    All who joy would win must share it -- happiness was born a twin. (Byron)

I participated in the Washington, DC AIDSRide. We biked from Norfolk, Virginia to D.C. We stayed in tents which was the absolute pits because it rained Thursday AND Friday. My bicycle was only functioning at about one-third of its capacity! My bike shoes were so muddy from walking to the campsite after I parked my bike and I bet I clipped my left foot in for about 20 minutes the entire day on Friday!

It was a great experience; however, the next time I do a grand event, I will make sure that I stay in motels every night!