Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

No longer a spinning class virgin

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went for the first time, at my local gym yesterday, loved it and want more!!
    Having the class energy and interaction rather than earphones is much more fun and motivating, oh, and did I say fun!
    Holistic Health Coach and Licensed Massage Therapist
    http://mandalatree.healthcoach.integ...nutrition.com/

I'm glad you liked it. I really enjoy my spinning classes too for the most part. It's kind of instructor specific for me. I always feel really great at the end of class--like I made the most out of my workout.

Have fun with it!

Kate
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Another total spin class addict here. I'm afraid I've developed "Obsessive Compulsive Spin Disorder". I've been going to 3-5 classes a week.

A great instructor definitely makes all the difference. My three different instructors are all good but one of them makes me never want to miss one of her classes.

Official spintard here

Is spinning more like aerobics or does it really simulate and help train for cycling?

Does it depend on the instructor? Are you building up muscle, endurance, VO2..?

I just finished my 4th spin calss this morning and was just wondering ...

tks

Spin Classes

Spin class is a cardiovascular workout, and you will get out of it what you put into it. So if you put in the effort needed for the various types of workouts, you will train those "portions" of your cardiovascular fitness.

That being said, many spin classes tend to be high intensity, so you must ensure you are balancing things out. Typically, an athlete will only do 1-2 higher intensity workouts a week, the remainder are moderate or lower intensity.

My clients who like spin classes, will do the spin class, but won't necessarily follow the high HR guidelines set by the instructor...ie they will do the same movements but lower intensity to match their needs.

that is the beauty of the spin program, you can work at your own pace!
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

Question

indysteel and SJCzar,
    You both mention that a great instructor makes the difference for how much you enjoy the classes.
    Please share qualities what you consider a great instructor to have. Why does one instructor motivate better than another?...that kind of thing.
    I'm curious.
    Thanks!
    If you can read this, take a pull.

Spin classes are fantastic!!!

It takes a lot to make me sweat and those classes can make it so my hair is absolutely drenched. I do like the fact that you can put into it what you want so if you have a limitation on the bike (or are worried about your knees or something) you can modify the spin class to suit your needs.

My instructor experiences are the same as everyone elses, I think. I've had instructors who are cyclists and teach the class to stay in shape and I've had instructors who teach step classes, etc., and this is just another thing they teach sometimes. The cyclist instructors tended to not do the bouncy "30 seconds standing, 30 seconds sitting" thing as much which I appreciate.

The best instructor I ever had really coordinated the music well, especially for simulated hill climbing. I think some of them also can make the most painful things be not as bad somehow. I had one last week who even simulated downhills by having us do a slow hill climb cresting over the top then immediately taking the pressure off the wheel. It gave a touch of realism to the whole thing!

If I need a good workout and don't have much time, I prefer spinning class over my bike though overall, I'd much rather be on my bike.