Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wanna read a ride report! How was it to get out there again???
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I'll post one in bike-related.....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

an alternative to the wildlife refuge parking lot

Regina, I looked at the map and I think you can go north on Rhode Island Avenue to Sunnyside, east on Sunnyside to Edmonston, then north to Beaver Dam or Powder Mill. I'll drive that way the next time I'm at REI or My Organic Market and see what the roads are like.

Didn't get around to calling you today about the DVDs, but will try tomorrow.

Nicole, what triathlon are you doing in July?

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post

Nicole, what triathlon are you doing in July?
    I'm registered for the 3 Sport Triathlon in Richmond, VA, July 22. It's a 300m pool swim/12 mile ride/3.1 mile run. I'm feeling too intimidated by the Iron Girl 1000m lake swim to do it as my first tri. Now, it will be my second
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Did you go out on the 4th? The winds were insane. I rode in Cville on Monday. It was decent. Hard work. Then the 40mph gusts started. I was in some serious pain. Sunday around DC looked NASTY.

Regina and I went out on the 3rd. There were some strong winds but nothing like Sunday, Monday, or yesterday (I ran yesterday morning; it was hard!). Other than the wind, the weather was great for this time of year and we had a good ride. Unfortunately, we got scolded for using the parking lot for ride staging by an official of the refuge. If we ever want to do this ride again we'll need to find another meeting/starting place.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

That's lame of them, especially this time of year.

I was out at Haines on Saturday trying to do a mock TT. The winds were so bad out there by the last stretch, I was struggling to go over 12mph. I wasn't sure I was going to stay upright.

Way more brutal on Monday out here with the hills. I've never had to stop for so many snack breaks.

The tailwind on Mon. on the approx 5 mile gradual descent was amazing. Usually cruise in the lower 20s. Hit the low 30s for a bit this time . Just about made up for the suffering in the gradual climb and 40+ gusts (mostly headwinds and a few scary crosswinds) at miles 45-47. I almost fell off the bike at the end...barely enough coordination left to dismount.

The forecast keeps changing, but the forecast out here looks decent for Saturday. Warmish but cloudy. Anyone want to come out here for a ride?

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    The forecast keeps changing, but the forecast out here looks decent for Saturday. Warmish but cloudy. Anyone want to come out here for a ride?
    If the weather holds on Saturday, DH and I - if it's too warm to ski - will probably be doing our French Countryside loop: http://www.routeslip.com/routes/15753
    I think he's anxious to try some hills with his new Seven. I, on the other hand, am NOT anxious to see him climb on that lightweight thing. I don't care HOW out of shape he claims to be!
    No idea of time yet - but join us all if you can.

If the weather doesn't hold, I'll be "Sweating Buckets" on the rollers with Janice's Spinerval DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    will probably be doing our French Countryside loop: http://www.routeslip.com/routes/15753
    I've been looking at this route. It has a similar length and climbing amount to the Iron Girl bike route but it's closer to home. I might be interested in joining you. If it looks like it's coming together, you might want to start a new thread for it.

If the weather doesn't hold, I'll be "Sweating Buckets" on the rollers with Janice's Spinerval DVD.
    Ahh, you got them. Perhaps you'll "share the pain" and let me try the tri spinerval disk
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I'll see what develops over the next 24 or so.....

RE: Tri-DVD - sure. Since it's hard to hop on and off the rollers to do a full-body workout (if that's how they have it set up), I think that would be the last one I crack open. It requires a balance ball, some free weights, and a mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    If the weather holds on Saturday, DH and I - if it's too warm to ski - will probably be doing our French Countryside loop: http://www.routeslip.com/routes/15753
    I think he's anxious to try some hills with his new Seven. I, on the other hand, am NOT anxious to see him climb on that lightweight thing. I don't care HOW out of shape he claims to be!
    No idea of time yet - but join us all if you can.

Too far for me. I think I'll take my chances with 64, cloudy, and 20% chance of rain here that day. Going to try for 50ish hilly miles. I don't know what time I'll be back on Sunday. If the weather is good, anyone up for a quick spin somewhere close (or in) the District? Maybe recovery ride at Haines? If the rain stays away, I'll probably do a short loop here before heading back.

I want to go for a ride today now that it's getting a little warmer again (upper 40s, low 50s), but my spring break isn't so much of a school work break .

I previewed the Jefferson Cup RR course on Tuesday. Kind of boring. Couple big hills. Not much in the way of fun descents. One long false flat at the beginning that's a real pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    I looked at the map and I think you can go north on Rhode Island Avenue to Sunnyside, east on Sunnyside to Edmonston, then north to Beaver Dam or Powder Mill.
    I checked this out today in my car--leaving from REI to ride in the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center rather than parking illegally at the wildlife refuge visitors center--and it will work fine. The bike lane on Rhode Island ends about a quarter mile before Sunnyside, but there aren't too many cars. Edmonston can be busy, but it's fairly wide and it's a short distance to Beaver Dam. Beaver Dam is bumpy on the west end, just like it is on the east end. I think it would probably be best to start from REI in the morning rather than mid-afternoon (when I was there today) so the traffic would be lighter.

Rides in Madison, VA

Hi all - I see some of you mentioning riding around Charlottesville & want to extend the invitation to all of you to come to Madison and ride sometime (SO's welcome). We have group rides every weekend. Because we are small, the group size varies from only 3 up to about 15. The roads are fabulous, traffic is generally cycling friendly & the scenery is beautiful. I could design a route for you as long (or short) as you want. And I'm about 35 miles closer than Charlottesville...Give me a yell if you are ever interested!
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

I get down near Richmond every so often to visit my MiL, but so far I haven't brought the bike for any riding. How far is Glen Allen from Madison?
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I get down near Richmond every so often to visit my MiL, but so far I haven't brought the bike for any riding. How far is Glen Allen from Madison?
    Glen Allen is about 65 miles from Madison (guessing). How do you get to Glen Allen? 95 > 295 > 64? Take the Fredericksburg (Rt. 3) exit off 95, head west & go to Culpeper, then Rt. 29 South for about 15 miles.

Or, 495 around DC to 66 west, then 29 South at Gainesville...

I may be out in the boonies, but I'm pretty easy to find!
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett