Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cycling clothing question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, everyone.

I'm a newbie here. Just found this site today, in fact.

At the end of July, my family and I are going on a Vermont bike trip for a week. My father and sister (who will be there) have been on bike trips before, but this will be my first one.

I've been going, for the past week, to spinning classes at my local gym in order to get in shape for the trip, and while I'm still very new to it, I'm slowly working up my endurance.

I bought some clothing for cycling (shorts, shirt, gloves), which arrived today and I'll wear the shorts to the spinning class today to see how it feels (the shirt I'm returning because I don't like the style of it).

One of my questions is: Knowing nothing about the etiquette or style of cycling at all, is it inappropriate to wear just a sports bra and cycling shorts when doing a bike trip? When I do the spinning class, I get so worked up and start sweating so much that any sort of fabric on me makes me too warm, and just wearing the sports bra seems to keep me a little cooler.

Also, my sister is looking for another pair of cycling shorts similiar to the type that she already has. I've been looking online for her and am not able to find the style that she wants. She told me that the pair she already has is by Pearl Izumi Technical Wear, and the style of it is a spandex layer, and then over that is a loose fitting layer, so they look like normal shorts.

Does anyone know where I could find something like that for her? I've tried various websites, including the Pearl Izumi site, but they don't seem to have a Technical Wear pair of shorts.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me on my questions.

Amanda

Amanda,

I think the sports bra as shirt etiquette will depend on the group you are riding with. However, you may find that there is more wind evaporation outside and you won't get as hot as you do in spin class.

Pearlizumi may not make that specific short anymore, but check out Team Estrogens selection of mountain bike shorts. Most of them have a padded liner with a loose outer layer.

Deanna

I see nothing wrong with a sports bra and shorts, except that some motorists can be pertty obnoxious to women at time. And watch that sunburn. I like a littel more coverage, I wear t-top tanks a lot.

You are referring to "baggies"; the kind with a shorts layer over the lycra. Most places have them. REI, maybe this site, performance...

Note: I hope you are not wearing undies under your bike shorts. You should be commando, less blistering and chafing that way.

Irualn
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Hi Amanda!

I'm not Emily Post, but I don't think you'll run into any etiquette problems wearing your sports bra & cycling shorts. However, please keep in mind that cycling on the road is different than cycling in your spinning class. For one thing, when you cycle on the road, you will not feel as sweaty because as you move through the air, the sweat will evaporate. Also, you're out in the elements, so you will be exposed to the sun.

An added benefit of a cycling jersey is you usually have pockets in the back to store things. If you store a route sheet or anything made of paper in the back pocket, put it in a plastic baggy, or you'll have a very soggy piece of paper by the middle of your ride. (Ask me how I know!)

It sounds like your sister is looking a the baggy mountain bike shorts. Here's a link to the mountain biking shorts offered by the Team Estrogen site:
    Mountain Biking Shorts

Hope this helps!

-- Melissa

Originally posted by Deanna
    Amanda,

I think the sports bra as shirt etiquette will depend on the group you are riding with. However, you may find that there is more wind evaporation outside and you won't get as hot as you do in spin class.
    Deanna,

I didn't think of that. I guess I'll bring different types of shirts with me and try them out once I get there. Or maybe I'll buy myself a tank top specifically for biking in. Any recommendations?

Pearlizumi may not make that specific short anymore, but check out Team Estrogens selection of mountain bike shorts. Most of them have a padded liner with a loose outer layer.
    I did check out their shorts before posting my message here, and I e-mailed my sister the link to the selections.

Thanks for your help!

Amanda

Originally posted by Irulan
    I see nothing wrong with a sports bra and shorts, except that some motorists can be pertty obnoxious to women at time. And watch that sunburn. I like a littel more coverage, I wear t-top tanks a lot.
    What brand of tank do you wear?
    You are referring to "baggies"; the kind with a shorts layer over the lycra. Most places have them. REI, maybe this site, performance...
    Oh, thank you so much for the name. Now that I have that, it'll be much easier to search for. OT, what's REI?
    Note: I hope you are not wearing undies under your bike shorts. You should be commando, less blistering and chafing that way.
    I didn't know that.

Do you recommend bringing an extra set of shorts so that I'm not wearing the same ones day in and out?

Amanda

Originally posted by melissam
    Hi Amanda!

I'm not Emily Post, but I don't think you'll run into any etiquette problems wearing your sports bra & cycling shorts. However, please keep in mind that cycling on the road is different than cycling in your spinning class. For one thing, when you cycle on the road, you will not feel as sweaty because as you move through the air, the sweat will evaporate. Also, you're out in the elements, so you will be exposed to the sun.
    Yeah, I had thought about the exposure to the sun. Regardless of what I end up doing (with or without shirt over sports bra), I will definitely be wearing lots of sunscreen. Thanks for the advice about the sweat evaporating. I hadn't even thought about it when I posted.
    An added benefit of a cycling jersey is you usually have pockets in the back to store things. If you store a route sheet or anything made of paper in the back pocket, put it in a plastic baggy, or you'll have a very soggy piece of paper by the middle of your ride. (Ask me how I know!)
    That's good advice! Thanks. Should I bite? How do you know?
    It sounds like your sister is looking a the baggy mountain bike shorts. Here's a link to the mountain biking shorts offered by the Team Estrogen site:
    Mountain Biking Shorts
    Thanks very much for the link.
    Hope this helps!
    Definitely. Thanks for the response.

Amanda

Originally posted by Lea724
    [B]What brand of tank do you wear?
    um, ,whatever I find on sale, or I make a lot of my own.

OT, what's REI?

www.rei.com or Recreational Equipment Inc.

Do you recommend bringing an extra set of shorts so that I'm not wearing the same ones day in and out?
    You want fresh ones for each day. Read the thread about the aids ride "trek 420's Epic " for more on the shorts issue

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

In addition to considering wearing a jersey for the added sun protection, you should consider bringing along a wicking long sleeve.

If it *does* rain, or get cold unexpectedly, long sleeves and an extra layer are wonderful. I wore a short-sleeve jersey under a wicking REI long sleeve through a rainstorm that turned into sleet -- the outer layer got soaked, but thanks to the miracle of wicking, the underlayer and my bod were warm (relatively) and dry.
    monique

Cycling's Emily Post

Amanda asked about the "etiquette" of cycling in a sports bra and shorts...which got me thinking. You ladies gave her great common-sense answers as to why to wear a jersey (sun protection, pockets, creeps on the road , crashes etc). There is, however a bit (acutally a LOT) of unspoken etiquette that goes on in cycling and yeah there is kind of an "unspoken rule" about sports bras. Mainly this: "Serious women cyclists do not ride with out a jersey". The exception to the rule being triathletes, for obvious reasons .

Now plenty of women hop on bikes and ride around in sportsbras. Are they ever taken seriously on club or team rides? Nope. Usually they are the females we are passing as we use the bike path to get out of town. Are they wrong for doing so? Nope. They are probably getting their exercise and working on their tans--gotta love mulitaskers!

There is nothing wrong with riding without a jersey. Not everyone wants or needs to be perceived as "serious".

I guess riding in a sports-bra is kind of the female equivalent of the guy who rides in tall, thick, white tube socks.

being a mountain biker, I'd never ride in a sprots bra myself becaue of the potential to lose skin. ;-)

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

um, ,whatever I find on sale, or I make a lot of my own.
    Oh, okay, so for the tanks, then, there's no particular about what brand or anything I should get.

www.rei.com or Recreational Equipment Inc.
    Thanks.

You want fresh ones for each day. Read the thread about the aids ride "trek 420's Epic " for more on the shorts issue
    Thank you so much for letting me know about that thread. I read through it and realized I definitely need to buy more shorts.

Amanda

In addition to considering wearing a jersey for the added sun protection, you should consider bringing along a wicking long sleeve.

If it *does* rain, or get cold unexpectedly, long sleeves and an extra layer are wonderful. I wore a short-sleeve jersey under a wicking REI long sleeve through a rainstorm that turned into sleet -- the outer layer got soaked, but thanks to the miracle of wicking, the underlayer and my bod were warm (relatively) and dry.
    I bought myself a wind- and rainproof jacket, made of coated nylon. Is that not as good as wicking?

Amanda

Re: Cycling's Emily Post

Originally posted by pedalfaster
    Amanda asked about the "etiquette" of cycling in a sports bra and shorts...which got me thinking. You ladies gave her great common-sense answers as to why to wear a jersey (sun protection, pockets, creeps on the road , crashes etc). There is, however a bit (acutally a LOT) of unspoken etiquette that goes on in cycling and yeah there is kind of an "unspoken rule" about sports bras. Mainly this: "Serious women cyclists do not ride with out a jersey". The exception to the rule being triathletes, for obvious reasons .

Now plenty of women hop on bikes and ride around in sportsbras. Are they ever taken seriously on club or team rides? Nope. Usually they are the females we are passing as we use the bike path to get out of town. Are they wrong for doing so? Nope. They are probably getting their exercise and working on their tans--gotta love mulitaskers!

There is nothing wrong with riding without a jersey. Not everyone wants or needs to be perceived as "serious".

I guess riding in a sports-bra is kind of the female equivalent of the guy who rides in tall, thick, white tube socks.
    You've made a very good argument for riding in more than just a sports bra. Good enough that you've convinced me. I'll go shopping this weekend to find a jersey I'm comfortable with. Thanks.

Amanda

Originally posted by Irulan
    being a mountain biker, I'd never ride in a sprots bra myself becaue of the potential to lose skin. ;-)

irulan
    That's something else I never thought of that can convince me to not use a sports bra.

Thanks!

Amanda