Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

(Long and Less Long) Runs - 2/12 to 2/18

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I got sick last Thursday. So, I missed a few of my miles last week.

I am taking today as a rest day as well. I have to get back on the workout regime tomorrow.

My coach has me scheduled for the following:

MONDAY
    OFF

TUESDAY
    swim workout #1B
    3 mile easy run

WEDNESDAY
    Spin Class

THURSDAY
    3 mile easy run

FRIDAY
    swim workout #2B

SATURDAY
    25 mile ride (easy effort, road)
    3 mile easy run (within 30 minutes of finishing ride)

SUNDAY
    5 mile easy run

TOTAL MILES: 14

I am a little worried about the mileage though. The most I have ever run in one week is 10-11. I told him about my concern... I am waiting for a reply.

Also, I typically ride on Sundays. Going to be hard to ride and run 5 miles.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    KSH, I'm not a triathlete and thus can't react to your schedule with any useful wisdom, but my feeling is, when you're running, you can always walk a little bit. Not for a long time, just enough to give you mind a break. When I was younger I NEVER allowed myself to walk...but now I walk all the time, up that little hill, to that next fencepost, whatever. I don't walk for long periods, maybe 30 seconds or so, but it really helps me get through.

Life was what it is last week so I really didn't get to run much. My total last week was 10.5. This week won't be much better, so I did a long run today knowing that I may not be able to get out much later in the week. We got a leeeeeeetle bit of snow last night (about 1") so I was able to run a good segment of the trail here in the 'hood (6.5, plus the road approach to and home from, for a total of just over 10 miles). Thing is, it had warmed up earlier in the week, so it was 1" of fresh on mud. The uphill portions felt like running on sand. But I was the first person to lay tracks for the first 3 miles or so--though it looked like the deer had a party on a portion of the trail-- and the sky was blue and the temp was perfect, in the mid 30s. I'm always amazed that I can be right there, above the city, and be so totally isolated in a beautiful place. It'll be a mud fest again by this afternoon, so I'm glad I got out.

Hey Yellow, you can comment. You run! Being a triathlete or not... running is running... right?

Well, my goal has been to run without walking. Yes, I know I can walk... and trust me, I take full advantage of that in a race!

I have to say though, it almost hurts me more to run and walk... versus to just keep running. It's like the pain really settles in when I stop running and it's hard to get going again.

Hey, 10.5 is more than I did last week! So, great job! Happy to hear you got out and ran today before your busy week kicked in.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Alright ladies. The goal this week is 6 miles, since I won't be running this weekend. Maybe I will attempt to get out on Sunday, but I can't guarantee since I'll be skiing at the Pokies.

I got a new pair of running shoes WOO! They are featherlite and oh so purty. Hopefully they feel okay when I test them out tomorrow.

My knee has been feeling stiff recently, hoping it is nothing to worry about...

Quote Originally Posted by KSH View Post

TOTAL MILES: 14

I am a little worried about the mileage though. The most I have ever run in one week is 10-11. I told him about my concern... I am waiting for a reply.

Also, I typically ride on Sundays. Going to be hard to ride and run 5 miles.
    KSH - The way I calculate it you'll be running a minimum of 3 miles more than before. That's slightly more than a 25% increase in your mileage. That's a little more than I typically recommend. My rule of thumb is 15%, 20% increase is maximum. Having said that you can increase by more in one week, you just can't do it chronically or you're setting up for injury. Also, it's going to be tough to run on Sunday after your brick on Saturday.

So may advice to you is to be very alert on your run on Sunday. Cut it short by a mile if you have to and walk as much as you want, (keeping in mind that walking may not be the best option for you). You may even dicide to walk the whole last mile if you're not doing well.

Good luck this week. You are capable of getting it done!
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Wahine, thanks for the input and the advice. I think I may try to spread the miles for Sunday out over the week. I also think I will skip swimming this week.

So, far my mileage each week has been inconsistent at best. Here is what I have for 1 month:

Jan 1-7/ 5 miles
    Jan 8-14/ 10.75 miles
    Jan 15-21/ 7.50 miles
    Jan 22-28/ 2.50 miles
    Jan 29- Feb 4/ 11 miles
    Feb 5-11/ 3.5 miles

Yea, looking at that screams, "DO NOT RUN 14 MILES THIS WEEK!", if you ask me. I'm not an expert... but I think sticking close to the 10-11 mile mark is probably the safest decision.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Only managed 2 runs last week (still nursing that sore quad), a 3 mile and an 11 mile. Not exactly what a running coach would consider great (or smart)training, but it's working for me. All I know is that if nothing else, I need to get a long run on the weekend in prep for the marathon in 4 weeks (already bought the plane ticket and paid the entry fee so I'm doing it come h*ll or high water- could be both since it's by the ocean ). This week I hope to run 2 days during the week and a 15 miler on the weekend. We'll see...

Great job out there ladies!

KSH your running is coming along so nicely! I'm so impressed with your progress! Just thinking of how far you've come in the last 6 months is seriously impressive!!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Hey TriGirl... running 2 runs... but one of them being 11 miles... with a hurt quad... is impressive and maybe a little nuts.

I ran 5.25 miles in 57 minutes (10.86 minute mile) on the treadmill at lunch today.

I figured out that after 3 miles, it all starts to blend together as I get a little loopy.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by KSH View Post
    I figured out that after 3 miles, it all starts to blend together as I get a little loopy.

LOL! Soooooo true....
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Hill intervals today..in the sleet and hail...yee ha!

We did 8 repeats on a hill. Total run 3.5 miles.

Last week I only got in 5.5mi. Not intentionally, but life got in the way. But hey, I can count that as a rest week, right

Anyway, I ran 3 miles today. My goal is to get 11mi in this week since I've been doing 9-10 on average. My general schedule is this

Monday - off
    Tuesday - swim morning, run 3 miles afternoon
    Wed - on call = no work other than "putting on the catchers mitt" as a friend likes to call it (I'm doing ob)
    Thurs - swim and pilates
    Fri - bike 1 hr, run 2miles
    Sat - run 6mi very easy pace
    Sun - bike 25 easy

Friday, Sat, Sun are interchangable days based on which days I can get out on. The brick I can tolerate to do inside, the LSD run and bike I can't stand to do.

Back in the game with 4 miles today. Last week I was out all week at a conference standing all day and eating late. Even though we started our mornings at 9:30 or 10:30, I just couldn't muster the energy to get out and run (or head to the gym for a swim).

I'm thinking of doing a 3-4 days a week running plan, with 2-3 days of other stuff and one day off (Mondays). Really I think I should just get a trainer to at least consult with and lay out a "plan" with, but I have this thing about money and not really being a "real" athlete... mental blocks. Anyway, my off days will right now be spent with the bike and pilates/yoga until I muster the courage to get back in the pool and rebuild my swimming base.

Springtime, here I come... enjoying winter on weekends and missing the light fluffy snow we had in January, but looking forward to the street cleaners wiping away the sand so I can ride my bike

Really I think I should just get a trainer to at least consult with and lay out a "plan" with, but I have this thing about money and not really being a "real" athlete... mental blocks.
    Well, here is how I see... the "real athletes" are in perfect shape and know what to do... us "amature athletes"... we need HELP!

So, get a trainer! We aren't pro's, we need help... nothing wrong with that.

3 miles running + .4 miles walking on the treadmill today after work. Felt tired (had a hard trainer ride last night so maybe not quite recovered), but did it. Every little bit helps, right!?

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

So maybe my short stink on the trainer the other night was somehow a message from the powers that be. Before that I would have thought....

pffttt...45 mins on the trainer.....NOW I say...oh my...45 mins on the trainer. no wonder her legs are tired!