Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ciclismo Classico

To disable ads, please log-in.

All,
    Just found this thread. I'm going on my 6th CC trip in May. I am loyal to them for several reasons. Their focus on balancing cultural experiences and cycling is unwavering. The level of service from initial phone call to last drop-off has been consistently high level. The guides do a wonderful job of reminding people they are on vacation...relax, enjoy the experience, take in the ambience. The company has built strong local relationships (from the hotels chosen to the restaurants)...I don't like to feel like a tourist or that I am being treated like one, either. I think it's important to note, too, that as a single woman traveler, I wanted to find a company that I felt comfortable traveling solo with while avoiding the "singles" group dynamic.

I have been on 2 Tuscany trips, one Piedmonte, one in Puglia, and am going on the 2nd of 2 Bike Across Italy trips (the first was in the north, this one is in the south). I hope your experiences are as positive as mine have been, and enjoy!

Yay! Great to get that feedback from you, abc. I'm so glad I picked CC...I just had a good feeling about them.

Any advice of stuff to bring, how to prepare, etc.? The trip I'm going on is pretty short, 5 days of cycling, "advanced beginner," I'm having trouble figuring out what to bring, because I'm spending a week in Florence, too, so I have to bring all the bike stuff, then all my clothes for the rest of the trip. I hate bringing too much stuff/huge luggage, but I almost feel like I have to.

Hi ace.
    I did Giro de Toscana early May last year, it's a little cooler in the mornings than you'd think, so you might want to consider arm warmers/tights, or a long sleeve cycling jacket/fleece depending on your tolerance level. I target 1pair of shorts and shirt for every 2 days of cycling, and also a rain jacket, bike shoes, and helmet. Evenings are really casual, and that time of year possibly chilly, and bring comfy walking shoes (for those hill towns and uneven stones in the piazza!).

Not knowing how experienced a cyclist you are, I can share that I am not very, and since spring comes late where I am I target being able to do 40mi every day or so on a stationary bike (it's better than nothing!) for several weeks before the trip, and try to get on the road for as much as possible to re-learn how to shift and cycle in the real world. That area is rolling hills, so once you get the hang of them it's really quite fun!

Thanks so much. I love rollers, so I hope there are lots of them. Not so fond of hills, though. Which has been your favorite trip so far and why?

Our trip doesn't start until 5/27, so I think it'll be pretty warm by then (not too warm I hope!). I am still recuperating from a knee injury, so I'm trying to ride as much as I can w/o reinjuring myself, and hopefully I'll be able to ride the whole trip.

Did you really mean you rode 40 miles a day on a stationary bike for several weeks?? I would never have the discipline to do that! You're made of sterner stuff than I am!

Ace,

I spoke with a couple who have been on several CC trips and they said to do carryon only if possible. They said that is the biggest thing they've learned to do differently. Not sure what airlines you are flying, but we are using Lufthansa for the international part of our flight and their carry-on limit is one at 17.5 pounds per person, with dimensions of 22x21x6 inches, plus one small handbag/purse. I purchased an MEI Voyageur for each of us and it comes to 22x14x9 inches, which is the US limit for a carryon, so I hope they are acceptable by Lufthansa! I'm mainly worried about the weight limit though, especially with having to pack the helmet, bike shoes, and clipless pedals. The other thing that concerns me is the liquid/gel limits. However, I was reminded that we are not going to a third-world country and we can purchase sunscreen, etc. when we get there.

Clothing-wise, I plan to bring 1 SPF 50 jersey and 2 (one black and one white) lightweight long-sleeve SPF 50 undergarment shirt (REI MTS long-sleeve) to wear underneath the short-sleeve jersey they provide us with on arrival and to wear in the evenings (alternate them). Two pair bike shorts and two pair SPF 50 tights (if I can ever find some). Two pair cycling socks. One pair cycling gloves. Two sports bras. Two pair underwear. One lightweight, waterproof cycling jacket w/zip-off sleeves. One pair walking shoes (dansko professional clogs - very comfy!). For evenings - One pair black pants (something wrinkle-free - haven't found something suitable yet). One lightweight sweater/wrap. Contact lenses and solution. Prescription glasses. Prescription sunglasses. Non-prescription sunglasses. Camera. Baking soda for brushing teeth and washing hair. Small amount of leave-in conditioner. Toothbrush. Floss. Maybe a very small amount of makeup, like a colored spf lip balm and some cake eyeliner and mascara. Disposable facial scrub pads. Woolite & small clothesline. Money pouch. Electrical converter. Deodorant. As much sunscreen as I can fit in the leftover room for liquids/gels.

I've probably forgotten something! As I'm always freezing on airplanes anyway, I'll probably be wearing one pair of cycling tights, pants, socks, underwear, sports bra, long-sleeve undergarment top, sweater/wrap and/or cycling jacket, and clogs. I'm debating wearing my helmet on the plane so I don't have to pack it -- ha ha -- just kidding!

I've really been obsessing over all of this. This is our first spendy vacation we've ever done and the first time we've ever been out of the country. We're used to going camping for our vacations!

ABC, how much leisure time is built in to the tour? DH is really concerned about that. I am more the type that likes to go-go-go and he is the type that likes to stop and smell the roses. If he wants to take a day off cycling and just hang out, is that acceptable?

Did you use the hybrid or the road bike? DH has signed up for the hybrid with flat pedals, and I've signed up for the road bike with clipless. I've heard the Bianchi road bikes are very nice. How much do they do for you with fitting before you get out and ride?

Thanks for all the great info! This is getting more and more exciting!

Yes, I initially thought I'd try to just do carry-on. Then I talked to my dad, who travels back and forth to Europe several times a year for biking, hiking and skiing trips. He definitely doesn't care what he wears, and is one of those "bring two pairs of underwear and wash one every night" kind of guys. He said no way could I do carry-on for a bike trip, plus a week in Florence (where we're going out for a few expensive dinners, so I want to look presentable). So I've given up that idea! I am bringing a couple pairs pants, a couple pairs shorts, 4 or 5 t shirts, long sleeve shirt, sweater, jacket, 3 biking jerseys, 3 biking shorts, sneakers, sandals, bike shoes, clipless pedals, helmet, camelbak, cycling windbreaker and rain jacket...plus some. I'm just hoping I can fit it all into one size up from a carry-on! My dad and his globe-hopping gf both said to get a wheeled duffel for a trip like this. Anyway, it's not like we'll be carrying the luggage onto and off trains all the time. Getting it from the van to the room shouldn't be too big a deal. But believe me, I am obsessing about it, too.

I don't think I could do a biking (or hiking) trip with carryon only. I've done it for a week-long business trip but that was long before they started cracking down on security. My duffle at the time was about the size you mention and I got some...uh...err..questioning looks then. I bet now it would get pulled. You might be able to do it, particularly if you innocent.

We recently travelled in the US and they were taking the gel/liquid thing seriously. Quite a few people were indignant when their stuff was getting confiscated.

Now, I probably take a compromise. I still pack relatively light in a wheeled duffle (3 changes of clothes, not 2 and I have a pair of "dress" Tevas that double as kicking around and look OK with a skirt). Then I carry on a day pack/fanny pack with books, camera and a change of clothes. I tend to fly out a day early and take the attitude that, if need be, my luggage will catch up, or I have a credit card (as michelem said--I'm not travelling to the 3rd world).

That said, finding clothes wouldn't be my major concern, it would be things like sunscreen and toiletries. I have enough allergies that I have to be picky about what I buy. While I always make a point of going to the grocery store while in a foreign country to see the different types of foods (really, ace, you gotta try it if it isn't on your list!) and while I have visited the pharmacy in both England and Spain, when you don't speak the language, finding a non-allergenic sunscreen can be problematic. I can't carry enough on with today's rules, so I have no choice but to check my baggage.

Good luck, michelem. I stand in awe. But, one thing I learned while travelling to Mallorca--don't try to put the helmet inside your bag. The helment gets hung on the outside, thus not taking either weight or dimensions for your carry on limit.

MicheleM,
    I have to say I have never had an issue with luggage with CC. The guides are great about schlepping it for you, so I try to pack light anyway. I usually have 2 bags, a checked and carry-on, and that's worked well for me, especially if you put all the bike gear in the the checked.

Re: how much leisure time is built in to the tour? There might be a cultural stop or two on a day, and then when riding there's usually a few re-groups and a lunch stop. Other than that it's your own pace, you don't need to stay huddled as a pack, and you can stop and photograph/shop, etc. as you wish. As a courtesy let the guides know your intentions so they don't worry about you, or so they can worry about you. Taking the day off, or part of a day, is truly cool if that's what you chose.

Re: Did you use the hybrid or the road bike? I've done both. Started with the hybrid when I wasn't comfy on the new fangled road bikes, then switched once I got my own Bianchi. Love the Bianchis they provide. Day 1 is all about getting you fit to your bike and they're great about helping you adjust things through the course of the trip.

abc

Oh, don't worry Thorn, I will be shopping in grocery stores. Food is one of my main hobbies

What did you mean about putting your helmet on the outside of your bag? I was planning on putting mine in my checked luggage.

I always take the approach that if I don't bring the clothing item with me, I will not have it. I'm a size 2x/18, and I can't imagine the clothes shopping options will be great for me in Italy. Also, that means my clothes are bigger, so I get to take bigger luggage (that's one of my favorite rationalizations).

I will try to really limit what I bring, but I plan on tipping the guides well for lugging it around for me.

I'm not worried about the CC guides mishandling my luggage - I'm concerned about the airlines. I learned my lesson years ago when my checked baggage was lost for over a week. This was for a U.S. flight (going away for college). I ended up having to wear the same outfit for the whole week - embarassing! I've not checked a bag since. We are changing planes twice, so that just ups the chance of having the bags not arrive when and where we arrive. Also, I keep hearing how the lost and mishandled (broken, stolen items, etc.) baggage rate keeps going up and up . . . I guess I'm just not that trustful.

I've met people who've travelled to other countries and always ate out, never stopping inside the grocery store. Such a shame. To me, its just great fun. Seeing familiar things with different names; seeing things you've never heard of; what is considered typical; trying to order from the deli with sign language, etc. etc.

When we travelled the last leg of the trip to Mallorca, the plane was filled almost completely with cyclists (Mallorca in March is a cyclist heaven). More than 1/2 of the passengers carried on their helmet. They'd carry on a backback and on the back of the backpack they strapped their helmet. Several of the backpacks went oversized, but the airline didn't seem to count it.

We thought it was a neat way to carry the helmet--that way it didn't take up luggage space. I don't know if I'll use it, but it is an option. Our current plan is to use a larger day pack on the plane than normal. Then, after we get our bikes set up, freeing up suitcase space, we'll take our return trip clothes, put them in the larger day pack, and leave that day pack behind at the base hotel (we start and finish at the same place). That way, we will have a little bit more room yet have smaller suitcases for the trip.