Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Spinerval noob question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey all.
    I just got an email from Performance listing a bunch of Spinerval DVD's on sale.
    Got me thinking, as I know a bunch of folks here use them for training.
    Dumb question:
    Do you HAVE to use them on a trainer or can you use them on rollers? I don't have a trainer, only rollers, and I'm a beginner on rollers (can't yet drink without stopping and can't yet go 1-handed without freaking out). I certainly can't stand up in the saddle yet on them.
    So....is there any bene to using them with rollers or would I be missing something crucial here?
    Are there any roller-specific workout vids out there?
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I can't imagine doing them on rollers. Although, somebody somewhere probably does.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

This guy has no problems on rollers:

http://teamchainreaction.com/video/hungerford/
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

can you get the front fork attachment to hold your bike in place? that would help, but even so, the resistance with rollers doesn't seem high enough to get a good workout. I tried (with the fork attachment), but it wasn't "hard" enough. good for pedal stroke, though.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I have rollers and they are very tricky. I can't even chew gum while peddling...

I have rollers. That's why I sold my Spinervals on TE. My goal is to be able to drink water while I ride. This year I can change the channels with the remote! Big accomplishment indeed.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    That is an accomplishment!
    My big accomplishment was clipping into the Speedplays and riding with 2 hands on the bars, and not keeping one hand with a deathgrip on the stair railing beside me.
    I'm thinking of riding my rollers while wearing my camelbak -- might make drinking water easier.
    Since it's much easier to ride rollers while going fast (DH just gave me a big dissertation on gyroscopic effect, which I'll spare you), judging from my heartrate over the course of the ride, I think I'm getting a pretty good workout. It's just dang boring.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I think it's an amazing workout. And as for boring--learn to operate that remote! I like to watch AMC movies or the History Channels. I've had my rollers for a year and I know what you mean about that death grip! I have my rollers right next to a sideboard that's the perfect height. I keep my water, the remote and a Kleenex there. I usually have to stop about every 3 or 4 miles for a drink and a quick break. I also have a fan behind me, and I sweat buckets!

I've done the Spinervals on rollers. Some are definitely easier than others. I'm not able to do the one legged spin; but I totally love going up to the higher cadence on rollers. I've gotten up to about 145 rpms on my rollers. I just pray I don't shift my weight wrong and roll off of them!! I've also improved on the standing while riding rollers.

One of the ones that I have used for an amazing workout is 3.0 Full body. You ride then do ab exercises - ride then arm exercises - ride than leg lunges. The total workout is over 1 hour with massive amounts of sweating.